Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where did 50 Cent go wrong?

Default Where did 50 Cent go wrong?

discuss

I was listening to some of his later albums and mixtapes earlier today and in my opinion they hold up well, about as well as his first two albums and his tapes

why did we and the industry get burned out on 50?
    Retired.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

I guess when G Unit started losing steam starting with Mobb Deep's Blood Money, then being defeated by Kanye West in that sales showdown, although he did win the showdown in overseas sales. Murder Inc. was pretty much finished by this time, and the beefs with Terror Squad, D Block, Diplomats and Black Wall Street had run their course. He tried instigating beef with Maybach Music Group, but, people were already over that schtick

The ABBOTT

He was at a grocery store in my city a couple weeks back pimping out his cognac. Must of fell on hard times.

Link
    https://thereader.com/dining/50-cent-at-hyvee

He has other avenues of income with the TV stuff and all his business deals, so he might have changed direction from music either way.

I think the sales contest with Kanye could be seen as a tipping point and the end of an era. Gangsta rap was pretty much finished in the mainstream by that point. Some mainstream rappers still have some of the same themes in their music, but even the ones that do don't market themselves as gangsters.

The generation of the 2010s were much more likely to be influenced by Kanye rather than 50. I think the era just changed, and 50 would have had to have grown as an artist to keep up with the times.

Great input from everyone, thanks for your insights

This morning I was listening to all of Game's 2011-2015 albums and compared to 50's post 'Massacre' album they sound more like fully realized cohesive albums with a diverse and contemporary sound. Game has a better ear for production and his rollodex for guest features must be huge.

By now Game's discography is really impressive in terms of quality, moreso than what 50 put out

I can see Game lasting for a few more years to come as well.

I think Game picked up more from Dre in terms of putting an album together than 50.
    Retired.

what also strikes me is that while 50 has bangers for days and grimy gangsta tracks you never get to know him as a person. apart from discussing baby momma complaints maybe

meanwhile artists like Game and to an even bigger extent Kanye share their personal opinions and part of their private life on record

I think if 50 did that too it'd be very interesting still if only for his amazing life story. but it won't be happening

Game strikes a good balance between 'sharing' and being gangsta imo

Kanye, obviously, is batshit crazy (but a musical genius) lol
    Retired.

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    what also strikes me is that while 50 has bangers for days and grimy gangsta tracks you never get to know him as a person. apart from discussing baby momma complaints maybe

meanwhile artists like Game and to an even bigger extent Kanye share their personal opinions and part of their private life on record

I think if 50 did that too it'd be very interesting still if only for his amazing life story. but it won't be happening

Game strikes a good balance between 'sharing' and being gangsta imo
    50 Cent never released a classic album. Singles, yes, but not a classic album.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

The ABBOTT

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post
    I agree with this. I never got into 50 top much, meaning I never bought any of his albums. But would still bump his hits when they came out. I always wondered what he would have become if he didn't link up with aftermath.

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post
    I think a lot of rap fans would dispute that. Get Rich and The Massacre are often held up as his classics, and I don't disagree. He had a lot to do with the writing on The Documentary too.

They were high budget productions with very memorable songs and features.

50 sold out for cream that’s where he went wrong!

I actually think this sums up 50s whole personality.

The ABBOTT

50 would been better off without aftermath and its mainstream agenda. He would have been a street icon as a Mobb affiliate.

If he never linked up with Shady/Aftermath, he would still be in the underground. He got connected with people who were powerful enough in the industry to get him out of the cock blocking that Murder Inc was doing to his career. If Cuban Link could have found somebody with enough juice in the industry to back him, he could have gotten out of the cock blocking Fat Joe was doing to his career, but unfortunately for him, that never happened.

I like the Best Of 50 Cent version of How To Rob because it is the original version with the Mariah Carey and Tommy Mattola reference.