Thread: Did Def Jam mismanage their Westcoast artists?

Default Did Def Jam mismanage their Westcoast artists?

Always seemed to me they got it wrong on the promo and management end

Was just listening to Jayo Felony's 'Whatcha gonna do' album and thinking of that
    Retired.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

I always thought so, the same way Priority did to their East Coast artists, although the Swarm did go gold, I still wonder how Nocturnal failed to go gold with all three singles getting extensive radio and video play. I never saw any of the videos off of the Swarm and never heard any of the songs on the radio and it still went gold, although that was when Hot 97 dropped all support for Wu Tang, but the Pillage still went gold also, but that was on Epic/Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by David Daniel Davis View Post
    although that was when Hot 97 dropped all support for Wu Tang
    Why?

Also I also think Death Row failed their East coast artists as well? IMO There’s a divide between the East and the West and it’s probable due to respect or them not fully understanding each other or caring?

The ABBOTT

I always thought Warren G would have been bigger. When his 2nd album dropped. It was a step up from his debut. I was thinking at the time it would catapult him to Snoop status. I feel like Def Jam didn't really get behind Take a Look Over your shoulder. Therefore he went elsewhere after.