Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Taliban Back

Unhappy Taliban Back

US/UK troops left Afghanistan like 2 weeks ago, and its already a shitshow.

The Taliban is rapidly taking over the country. So another failed state run by zealots dressed like Aladdin coming soon.

If you had the power what would you do in this situation? Hands off and take all the inevitable consequences? Try to keep the peace? Bomb them?

Where's Ja Rule?

The ABBOTT

Hands off from U.S. perspective. Our military spending is out of control.

Yeah its been 20 years, I can see that. Still, another L for democracy and a lot of fucked up shit is going to happen as a result.

America made a mistake by trying to fight multiple wars. They should have gone all in on Afghanistan and to quote Masta Killa civilised the mental. 18-20 years for nothing really? In all fairness though the Taliban are an inter generational group/movement and are natives, so it’s hard to really crush that + the Taliban aren’t as bad as people think, they are only really concerned with Afghanistan, what happened on Sept 11 was due to foreigners (Bin laden and foreign jihadis) not Taliban.

Interesting fact: Around 9/11 the Taliban were actually going to hand over bin laden (Not sure if it would of happened or not?) but the US rejected the deal?

Taliban have more warriors, logistic support and civilian support than is generally assumed

while having lighter weapons etc. the Taliban were well matched fighting US troops with their guerilla tactics. Now factor out regular US air support for the Aghan official troops. thus the Afghan army is not up to par

the Taliban are more motivated and they act in the spirit of 'if I die my brother will take my place'. obviously Afghan government troops don't have this attitude (can't blame them for that I guess, how would all of us behave after all)

I give it two more months. then the Taliban will control the whole country including the capital

now look at the amount of money, man hours, troops that foreign nations have put into training and supporting Afghan troops. didn't work

should the US and other nations have left? maybe not. but what are you gonna do being the US, the UK and other countries? stay there for 40, 50 years in total. it's not a supportable model in the long run

the way the situation is evolving the neighboring countries will have to find new ways of ensuring stability in their own countries, especially the border regions

China has been negotiating with both the official Afghan government and with Taliban leaders for a few months now. they figure, best not take any chances, we'll try and strike a deal with whoever wins and we'd best take plenty of time up front to get a good deal
    Retired.

Banned

We need to get out and stay out. They’re not a threat and if they are it’s not like the US can’t handle it.

Let them be whatever they are.

Quote Originally Posted by zooruka View Post
    America made a mistake by trying to fight multiple wars. They should have gone all in on Afghanistan and to quote Masta Killa civilised the mental. 18-20 years for nothing really? In all fairness though the Taliban are an inter generational group/movement and are natives, so it’s hard to really crush that + the Taliban aren’t as bad as people think, they are only really concerned with Afghanistan, what happened on Sept 11 was due to foreigners (Bin laden and foreign jihadis) not Taliban.

Interesting fact: Around 9/11 the Taliban were actually going to hand over bin laden (Not sure if it would of happened or not?) but the US rejected the deal?
    didn't know about the bin laden hand over you mentioned. interesting. will read up on it this weekend. thanks
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooch View Post
    We need to get out and stay out. They’re not a threat and if they are it’s not like the US can’t handle it.

Let them be whatever they are.
    Afghanistan doesn't factor in on the world stage in a meaningful way, though they might destabilize the immediate region surrounding somewhat (see my post above). it would be in their own interest though to focus on getting Afghan civilians in line and not meddling in foreign affairs

we might see a rise in drug exports to further prop up the new regime
    Retired.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    Afghanistan doesn't factor in on the world stage in a meaningful way, though they might destabilize the immediate region surrounding somewhat (see my post above). it would be in their own interest though to focus on getting Afghan civilians in line and not meddling in foreign affairs

we might see a rise in drug exports to further prop up the new regime
    Yea. Nothing going to change there. It just won’t. It’s what it is.

Nobody has the will to fight them in Afghanistan. There's already a mass exodus of Afghans those who can are leaving, especially the educated Afghans are being flown to western nations. Quite clear that the US has given up on Afghanistan. You can't beat the Taliban without addressing the arm that feeds the Taliban which is US ally Pakistan.

The Afghan army just doesn't have the will to fight the Taliban for most being in the Afghan army was an easy paycheck. Also factor in Pakistan's involvement the Taliban is their product and they are the ones who are backing this takeover. It's sad for the Afghan people but as I said those who can are leaving while neighboring countries have asked for guarantees from the Taliban that they will not attack them in any way. The Stans to the north have asked for Russian protection. I mean the Russians met with the Taliban in an official meeting I believe the Chinese also met them. What's surprising is why all the NATO nations all of a sudden bailed. They would just have to keep a force in each city and that's it but no as soon as the Americans left all the others left. Yes that costs money but millions of Afghans are already trying to get to Europe.

Human rights violations should bother everyone. I don't think 'they're not as bad as people think' works as an explanation for the psycho shit they're into. 'They pose no threat' is short sighted too.

At the same time I agree, if nothing much has changed in 20 years, there has to be a better way of dealing with them.

It goes without saying that it sucks for Afghani civilians and their budding democracy. That's a given.

But as it turns out foreign nations could not stabilize the democratic process.

I still believe the Taliban pose no threat on an international scale. As an international community, deal with them as you deal with Iran, a nation far more dangerous.
    Retired.

libya and ghaddafi should always be a go to into understanding why you should just leave these countries and their leadership alone and stop trying to introduce freedom fries and murica to everyone cause "democracy".

There's a reason why their leaders rule with an iron fist before they are displaced by the freedom frie campaign.
    it is what it is.
    Last edited by RADIOACTIVE MAN; 08-13-2021 at 02:28 PM.

that was a dumb war. total L.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Yeah its been 20 years, I can see that. Still, another L for democracy and a lot of fucked up shit is going to happen as a result.
    The bullshit war might have been almost 20 years ago but the Americans were arming and training these people way back in the 1970s to fight the Soviets
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.