Thread: 80+ minutes CDs (not CDrs) : issues

Default 80+ minutes CDs (not CDrs) : issues

Has anyone got official CDs in their collection that exceed 80 minutes?

I copped a new Germany issued CD compilation of Saga songs (Canadian progrock, 2017 comp) and it is 80:46 minutes long. I can't get it to play without skipping on any of my three (very cheap) CD players. All skip on track 6.

I read up about it online for a bit. Apparently 80+ CDs are somewhat common in classical music (none in my collection). I never encountered any.

Anybody else have CDs like these? Do they play well?

Out of all of my CD purchases ever I only had 3 brand new CDs skip, Kanye's College Dropout (the longass bipolarity announcing outro monologue) and two copies of Killah Priest's Planet Of The Gods (manufacturing issue?) , all regular length CDs

The ABBOTT

Your right with the 80 minute Cd. I couldn't find any of mine that were over, on the 1st run through. Had a few that were around 78 minutes. Redman-malpractice, Gangstarr-moment of truth, Jadakiss-kiss the game goodbye.

Apparently there is something called the 'Redbook standard' for CDs. At first CDs were limited to 74 minutes, then later on to 76 minutes and now 79,8 minutes. (Don't ask me about that decimal lol). By pushing pitch etc they can exceed 80 minutes but such CDs won't play on all players. The longest running time I read about online was 86 minutes.