Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we still fixated on ‘90s hip-hop?

Default Are we still fixated on ‘90s hip-hop?

I know everyone wants ‘90s east coast hip-hop but only older Millennials and young Gen Xers are nostalgic enough to recreate it. Others don’t really care. Case in point, Cilva’s Shaolin album. We obviously haven’t heard it yet, but I’m guessing it sounds straight from 1995.

I’m a ‘90s kid, so that’ll always be my favorite era of hip-hop…and also because the MCs really were the best. We’re always disappointed about new projects from dudes like Nas and Eminem and the Clan, but the only way any of these MCs will ever search for old grimy type beats is if a nerdy dude from that era gets in their ears and convinces them that it’s a good idea. Otherwise they don’t really care.

Celph Titled got Buckwild to give him a bunch of old beats for his ‘90s themed albums and that worked out, but that’s because Celph is a ‘90s hip-hop nerd (most of us are). And of course everyone in Griselda.

Yeah nineties head here too

These days 90s sounding albums work best w/ one producer for the whole album or one exec producer who were themselves the ish in the 90s.

Think of how Busta helped bring Rae back on OB4CLII and Rae brought CNN back on War Report II, and those were exec producer functions

To make a 90s album work these days you have to be real deliberate about it in the way you plan your album

I'll check out more Celph Titled, thanks for mentioning him
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 08-26-2021 at 12:03 AM.

The ABBOTT

I am going to have to check out celph titled also. I have found that when artist try to replicate the 90s sound it never is 100%. I think it is either, the lack of sample clearance or not using sp 1200/akai MPC for production.

Celph Titled is slept on, but make no mistake he's amazing. As far as underground MCs go, I think he's better than most. But yeah, his 2010 album with Buckwild is classic '90s hip-hop. I'm sure some people would find that stale, but it all depends on the presentation

Veteran Member

A little bit honestly. There are a few more recent emcees that work with producers and have flows that sound like they came out of the 90's (Rome Streetz, Rec Ali, Crimeapple, etc). So I do listen to new hip-hop, but I definitely prefer the 90's sound.

Step Correctly off the Celph/Buckwild album is fucking bonkers BTW

The ABBOTT

With the whole things go in cycles or history repeats itself. I am kind of disappointed there hasn't been another era similar to the 90s by now.

nada ignorante

Quote Originally Posted by b-dolo View Post
    With the whole things go in cycles or history repeats itself. I am kind of disappointed there hasn't been another era similar to the 90s by now.
    Thats never gonna happen! Kids be too spoiled nowadays and too many fags homos taking important positions in society. Its a lost generation
    N.I.

You can't recreate the 90s or bring these things back. Culture has to move on, its just a different world to the one we grew up in.

I think 90s Hip Hop is a huge influence on modern rap and pop culture in general over the last 10 or so years but you can't recreate all the other factors that contributed. Everybody has their own version, their own interpretation of these influences.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    You can't recreate the 90s or bring these things back. Culture has to move on, its just a different world to the one we grew up in.

I think 90s Hip Hop is a huge influence on modern rap and pop culture in general over the last 10 or so years but you can't recreate all the other factors that contributed. Everybody has their own version, their own interpretation of these influences.

That's what you idiots don't understand.. The 90s was wack for what it really is anyway.. It did not get advanced till 94-95, then it ended in 96-98.. So you had fucking people trying not to create classics thinking they do it 25-30 years later on..lol what kind of retared angel logic is that, yall are some stupid motherfuckas. LOL BECASUE you can not RECREATE the past dumbasses.

The ABBOTT

I don't mean recreating the 90s era. But, just another era were rap was more about the lyrics and production in the forefront. THe most talented mc's and beatmakers getting the most shine.

The ABBOTT

Does not seem like artist don't put together cohesive albums as much anymore? It's trying to get that one hit, that goes big to get the streaming numbers up.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Yeah, it is pretty much a release a hot song every few months market now. Nobody popping is really trying to put all of that effort into an album any more.

You think God is going to give y'all the answer for "hip hop" LOL. I tell you truth though hip hop was about evolving not a hard concept, in the 90's it never fully evolved. And right now you in a state of devolution, hip hop is dead. Rappers like of the past are really no where to be found. I've been following the new goon movement since 2014, theres just not really anybody whos a star to me or has the mic skills. You are living in cultural Marxist culture everyone is about drugs pussy and money. And the ones who you count on to bring you interesting concepts dont really know how to do it. For one everyone don't want that any way and the percentage of people that do don't want murder drugs either. Because deep down inside they want to be good and feel good about themselves.

Hip-hop can never be better than the 1980s-1990s, just like rock & roll can never be better than 1950s-1970s, and I'm OK with that. They both had their golden age. So did Jazz. So did electronica. I know Gen Z worships Millennial rappers like Kendrick Lamar and J Cole and Tyler the Creator, but I'm not a fan of theirs, even though they're from my generation. I just think the old Gen X rappers were better. It's weird that I can't connect with rappers from my own generation.

Anyway, I could've easily made a thread called "Are we still fixated on '90s wrestling" and everybody would've given the same answers. It was the golden age of wrestling (NWO, Stone Cold, Bret Hart), and now it's kinda dumb. Same thing really.

Veteran Member

I do have to say I think the last few years have been the best years for hip-hop since the 90s though