Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upcoming Batgirl movie

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    The movie is being shelved.
    I read that testing didn't go well, whatever that means. I believed the film would've been interesting.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Indeed I read and heard on that the movie was 90% done and they were already testing it on audiences

There's a lot of hoopla about it in the media here because the directors are Belgian. Their Disney+ show meanwhile is getting good ratings but IDK if the number of views has gone up a bit, it didn't start out well

I would have wanted to see the movie, it's too bad. It was bound to be better than that cliche batgirl show with the lesbian love story
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 08-11-2022 at 12:58 PM.
    Retired.

{>____<}

^Yeah. People are saying woke this and woke that. I don't understand it. She's half black but why does that matter? I remember when Supergirl came out. The men/incels/racists couldn't hold it together. They were calling Robert Pattinson a f**. Get a life.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

I caught up with the local newspapers after a few days away from home. apparently the Warner Bros studio head who okayed the 'Batgirl' movie envisioned it being part of the then current strategy of releasing blockbusters both in cinemas and on HBO Max at the same time, à la 'Justice League'. But then there was a changing of the guards at the top and a new guy became head of studio. his go to strategy is to release blockbusters in cinemas only because the success of 'Top Gun : Maverick' and other recent movies has proved that cinema releases can still be profitable. so no more concurrent release on HBO Max

the thing with 'Batgirl' is that its budget (I think between $70 and 90 million) was tailored towards a release in cinemas and HBO Max at the same time. This is a relatively small budget as a whole in comparison to blockbuster movies tailored for a cinema release only. there would have been a very small promotional budget for 'Batgirl' too since a release on HBO Max kind of 'sells itself' in terms of (free) publicity.

had the studio now released 'Batgirl' in cinemas only it would have needed a much larger promo budget that would have been disproportionately high ($50 million) to the actual movie production budget. this would have been an unsound decision in terms of finances because the production budget itself was much smaller than the competing movies in cinemas that were always meant to be released in cinemas. so you'd have 'Batgirl' in cinemas with lower production values (special effects etc) competing with much sleeker movies that bring 'the bang'. the extra promo budget needed to get 'Batgirl' a high profile in the media for a cinemas only release would be dead in the water if the movie can't compete with big budget movies in the cinemas anyway

the new studio head is known for drastic cost cutting decisions. it's the same guy who axed CNN+ one month after its start already. although CNN+ cost a reported $300 million it didn't gain subscribers fast enough in that one month and rather than seeing what would happen in the long run in the hopes of recouping, the guy said 'fuck it, we're not gonna get that bag, let's just axe the whole project'. same thing now with the 'Batgirl' movie which has basically become a tax write off

the amount of articles in newspapers on this locally is dazzling lol. the directors are the darlings of Belgian cinema and every newspaper dove into the numbers, production process, studio strategy etc
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 08-11-2022 at 12:59 PM.
    Retired.

and next to that, like IronMan mentioned, testing results for the movie were less than promising

this makes me even more curious to see the movie in one form or another tbh. but obviously it's never gonna surface now
    Retired.

im glad this happened, Dc property is now owned by the owner of discovery channel and he fired that goofy WALTER HAMADA and his gang who were a cancer to the continuity of the dc universe.

a much needed reboot without the good ole boy squad is needed