Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000s Underground rap

Default 2000s Underground rap

I think the 2000s was the worst decade for mainstream hip-hop, but it was a great time to be an underground rap fan...Immortal Technique, Jedi Mind Tricks, Celph Titled, Jus Allah, MF Doom, Atmosphere, Ras Kass, Canibus, Chino XL, Necro, Sean Price, Cage, Binary Star, Lost Children of Babylon, RA the Rugged Man, Louis Logic, etc. Too many to name. Who were your favorites? Do they still hold up?

The ABBOTT

Was 2010s mainstream any better? I honestly don't know?

There were some earlier mainstream releases in the 2000 decade that were.great.
    Stillmatic, College Dropout, Philadelphia Freeway, Stankonia, Just a few that came to mind. But as the years went by, I would say the quality went down.
    Last edited by b-dolo; 10-22-2021 at 10:13 PM.

Honestly, imo, before mumble rappers happened, there was A LOT of great rap still, both in mainstream and underground. I like what the South brought to the table too.

I checked out around the time Young Thug dropped. Up to that point I enjoyed most of what came out, really.
    Retired.

I always say the 2000s was the worst decade in hip-hop because of the Bling Bling era. Plus I thought Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, and dudes like that were corny. I can't even stand Southern rap, but I'm bias cuz I'm from the East Coast.

2010s I think was better because of dudes like Roc Marci and Action Bronson and Griselda. I don't care about Odd Future, Kendrick or Kanye, but I know people love them, and they made some acclaimed music that decade. I can't believe My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and To Pimp a Butterfly are consistently ranked the greatest rap albums ever, but these Gen Z kids hyped them up so much that critics now believe the hype. They got Kendrick's album over Illmatic on Rolling Stone's greatest albums list. They say '90s rap albums are "boring" now and they care more about beats. They grew up worshipping Millennial rappers like Kendrick and Cole and Drake, and they're not giving anyone older than them the time of day

The ABBOTT

Agree. I checked this article, posted here.
    https://pitchfork.com/features/lists...h-anniversary/

It has 2 Ye and 2 Kendrick albums in the top 20. If you took those albums and compared to the greatest rap albums ever. They are proably not even cracking the top.200. But they are somehow top tier of all genres in the past 20 years.

I hate these stupid ass generational threads that crop up from time to time. Its always the same nonsense. Most people are biased towards the music they liked when they were 18, and their taste doesn't change much. Studies consistently show that most people stop checking for new music in their 30s.

If you were born in the 50s, you would dismiss rap music outright. Do you see how subjective and pointless it is to have this discussion?

Define new music

it could be old music from a different genre

over the years I went from

eighties pop & the Prince catalog
    grunge
    contemporary metal
    jungle
    90s hiphop including Wu
    2000s hiphop
    p-funk
    jazz
    opera & classical music
    2010-2016 hiphop
    crooners
    French pop and chanson
    classic rock & prog
    reggae
    currently back on opera

I didn't bother to post short dips into country and blues

was it contemporary? no. did I change my taste in music? yes. Can i still listen to everything I was ever into? yes
    Retired.

Its a generalization, there's no reason to think I was shooting at you. This topic is frequently debated on music forums and its tired.

And just in general, things weren't better when you were younger, your parents thought the same thing and its horseshit. Its just what you grew up with and are comfortable with so you think its the way the world should stay.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Its a generalization, there's no reason to think I was shooting at you. This topic is frequently debated on music forums and its tired.

And just in general, things weren't better when you were younger, your parents thought the same thing and its horseshit. Its just what you grew up with and are comfortable with so you think its the way the world should stay.
    Oh I was not under the impression you were talking to me specifically. I was just showing how musical tastes can change and sometimes make you delve into 'older' music.

I will say I'm sure there's a specific emotional connection you make with the music you grow up with, a connection on a deeper level than the music you get to know past your teens. I'm guessing it's a hormonal thing and part of building your personality (through music) too.
    Retired.

Yeah absolutely, your teen years are the most important for forming your identity. You can change after that point but its difficult or you need big life changes.

Early 00s underground rap was dope anyway, everything OP listed plus Def Jux, Necro, J-Zone, Blackalicious, Masta Ace, Little Brother, Blu etc.

But even with all that, I still think the best albums of the 00s were mainstream Hip Hop, and at this point in time they're also the most influential albums in Hip Hop.

nada ignorante

Masta Ace had two of the sickest hip hop albums in the 2000s...
    N.I.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    I hate these stupid ass generational threads that crop up from time to time. Its always the same nonsense. Most people are biased towards the music they liked when they were 18, and their taste doesn't change much. Studies consistently show that most people stop checking for new music in their 30s.

If you were born in the 50s, you would dismiss rap music outright. Do you see how subjective and pointless it is to have this discussion?
    I disagree. The best rock music is 1950-1970s. I'm not going to say Radiohead and Nirvana just because I'm a '90s kid. The best hip-hop is 1980-1990s. Luckily, that's my era, but I'm still being objective. I was just lucky enough to experience it. The best jazz music is 1940-1960s. Not my era.

When Gen Z says Kendrick is better than Nas, that's like saying Jonah Hill is a better filmmaker than Tarantino. I don't care what era you're from, that's just stupid. Yeah, I grew up with Tarantino and I think he's better than all the new filmmakers, but I also think Stanley Kubrick is better than Tarantino. Being objective.

On the word 'objective'. I think it's personal taste. I like 90s hip-hop better than mumble rap, I can say mumble rap is crap. But that's still an opinion, not being objective.

You could argue there are objective criteria like rhymes, word play, delivery, boom bap. But in the end 90s rap standards and criteria speak to 90s rap only.

I can say Tekashi sucks on many levels and while many on here agree with me it's still just an opinion, my opinion

That being said I agree with all the opinions you posted about the best era for music genres. We share opinions, we are not being objective.

I love it when we discuss opinions.

I'm sorry, I'm being anal and I'm probably nitpicking here. You know what I'm getting at.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by hotnikks View Post
    Masta Ace had two of the sickest hip hop albums in the 2000s...
    Agree.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenchild View Post
    I disagree. The best rock music is 1950-1970s. I'm not going to say Radiohead and Nirvana just because I'm a '90s kid. The best hip-hop is 1980-1990s. Luckily, that's my era, but I'm still being objective. I was just lucky enough to experience it. The best jazz music is 1940-1960s. Not my era.

When Gen Z says Kendrick is better than Nas, that's like saying Jonah Hill is a better filmmaker than Tarantino. I don't care what era you're from, that's just stupid. Yeah, I grew up with Tarantino and I think he's better than all the new filmmakers, but I also think Stanley Kubrick is better than Tarantino. Being objective.
    In a way I agree, but as Hal alluded to, what actually happens is that the goals of the artists or filmmakers change over time. Its kind of useless to compare Radiohead to Pink Floyd for example because they aren't aiming for the same target. 'Rock music' in the 70s is basically a different genre to what bands were doing in the 90s, even though they borrowed from previous generations.

It's always weird having these discussions because it ends up being about semantics.