Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: OUATIS sells for record breaking 4M with NFT attached.

nada ignorante

I agree that physical has a lot more value over digital. Take video games for example. What´s terrifying is knowing that is the only physical object in the world just like the Mona Lisa Painting.
    N.I.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilvaringz View Post
    And that's what makes it so enticing... like a painting, like a vintage wine... store and handle with care or the value goes... but to the point, we wanted to do a vinyl at first but that doesn't allow for home pressing.. it requires sending out a master and now there's the chance of copying and leaking so the CD was the safest bet then... doing a USB stick kinda beats the purpose of the concept addressing digitization. I felt the same nerves when I saw the part of the CD player and it not working... Jamis felt that shit hard but that's what made the value of it so real to him afterwards, that home hitting core feeling that there really is only 1 copy.. and for many of the people that were interested in buying this, it was about the psychology behind the scarcity and the entire story of the legend around the album. I know this might be weird or hard to understand for some and I'm still wrapping my head around it as well, but we can all agree that Martin's possession of this record made it legendary because of everything that happened to Martin. Then, you'd think that Clan members trashing it would decrease its value, or the whole 'is it or isn't it a real Wu album' debate, Cilvaringz frankenstein shit etc etc. But see, it's doing the exact opposite. It's increasing it in value. As you see it doubled. Why is that? Meth trashed it on Huffington Post and Hot97 a year into it being on sale. For a whole year it still hadn't sold. Meth trashes it and two weeks later Martin makes an offer. Then the government takes it and for years no sale... then Mics & Men trashes it some more and now it doubles in value and it sells. Why is that? Well, look at the most expensive work of art ever sold which is the Salvador Mundi. Sold at 450M while they haven't been able to confirm 100% that it really was a Da Vinci. All the controversy around its shady sale and authentification is what gave it value. Same as the Banksy that shredded. It was worth more shredded than intact. The upside down stamp was a mistake, but worth crazy money because of that mistake. The cryptopunks... initially sold for a buck each, an uncool avatar experiment for software duplicating unique avatars. Now worth millions each. Something uncool accidently became cool. Point I'm making is that this album is all about the music to the ones who want to hear it and are just in it for Wu-Tang. But for the people that bought this album or wanted to buy it, it was about buying themselves into a historical ongoing story. The story is what counts, not the actual banana ducktaped to the canvas. So for them it makes sense for the album to be on CD because conceptually at that time, it was the transition from CD to digital that inspired the concept of a single copy. Call it a lot of artsi fartsi bullshit, but I think I figured out what makes it tick. And the story is far from over.
    I had been wondering about the choice for CD for a while. And it was actually on my list to discuss. Because CD's to me are a medium that is very prone to rot. Whether it be the CD's themselves, or the lasers which could rot. Or just can just stop being manufactured 88 years from now. There is of course the Red Book Audio standard. And some other quality measures. But overall, I wonder if there is any research that this medium will survive for 88 years.

USB never crossed my mind. The amount of USB-keys that flat out stop functioning is already insane enough. A CD would skip. But a USB would not even be read any more. You would only get a format option. On top of that, indeed a USB is perfect for copying stuff. So it would sort of nullify the idea. But a USB does give space for higher audio quality. Which a CD would not have. Unless you would use the lesser used SACD with Sony DSD. Or just DVD-Audio. Which could also be made into a 5.1 mix. (I remember a poll being on here about RZA releasing In Stereo in 5.1. Whatever happened to that? I did get my hands on a flac version of the Japanese release.)

Back in 1977 the USA launched the Voyager spacecraft into space. On board was a golden vinyl record with sounds and music from earth. The purpose was to send a message out into space. Now this sounds like a solid idea to do if you want to make an art piece that lasts for some time. A golden fucking record. Also because you only need a needle to play the record, and not a DAC or special connection. The format itself it pretty solid. Besides that, vinyl is on a regular seen as a superior audio format to CD. Though this is an open discussion I am not going into.
    What is interesting though, is that a regular vinyl like a cassette tape would lose a bit of its medium quality when played with a needle player. (There is a Japanese company that makes record players powered by a laser.) In turn every time you listen to the art, it diminishes in quality. Sort of like a statue that melts when you look at it. Every listen then needs to be cherished.
    But with what you are saying, I can fully understand that there is an extreme risk if you have to send out the masters. Especially nowadays, people just leak anything. So you would need to be working with a very high integrity group. Which in turn could lead to the numbers of people who have heard it in full going up. Something you may also not want.

Reel 2 Reel could have been another choice though. Haha. Though I have not come across anyone still using that for at least 10 years now I think.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

Quote Originally Posted by hotnikks View Post
    I agree that physical has a lot more value over digital. Take video games for example. What´s terrifying is knowing that is the only physical object in the world just like the Mona Lisa Painting.
    P.T. is a prime example in this case. That game was only ever released digitally. And taken off unceremoniously. PS4's with a copy still downloaded on there hard drive are hard to come by I think. Because you can not re-download it. Konami scraped it. But that also happened to the fans, the scraped/datamined the game for every little asset there was. And one has even taken upon themself to rebuild the game in the Unreal 4 engine.

Another wonderful example is this 360 game. Which only ever had a physical release. After that the studio sued Epic. Epic counter sued and won. The judge ruled they had to pay, and the game was not to be sold any more. Now the game itself is not the best. But I am still intrigued in owning a copy of this banned-from-sale game.

Also, look at something like PS Plus or Xbox Game Pass. Both offer free games. As far as Playstation goes. These monthly games are yours, so long as you pay them. As soon as you stop paying them, the rights to the digital games have been revoked. You may have them, and can play them on your PS. But you can again not re-download them. Also, they can update how they see fit. If you have a physical copy, you can always play it and are the sole owner. They can not bar you from playing it.

With digital you lose ownership. This could be due to the subscription model, but also due to the absence of a physical form for the product. Nobody holds a USB drive of hard drive up exclaiming: LOOK WHAT I GOT!

Mona Lisa, that one has been highly digitized. If it does get lost, we have a ton of information on it. For this album, we only have the stories around it.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

That disc is 100% going to rot by the end of the 88 year stipulation. No doubt about it. Was there any part of the manufacturing process of the CD's to prevent that?

Would you be open to them pressing into a 12" vinyl and shredding the CD? I know nothing about the technicalities to even pull that off but you would think that the vinyl would hold up longer.

Curious to see the next steps with this.

Just read that Tarantino is making NFTs of cut scenes from Pulp Fiction, adding script pages for those scenes too. There's no stopping this NFT train any time soon imo.

Sorry for going slightly off topic here.
    Retired.

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

NFTs are here to stay, but 99% will fail I think. OUATIS is in the top 15 most expensive NFTs ever sold and highest music NFT sold. So that's some dopeness. Now lets see what will happen next... seems like they had a listening party yesterday:

https://twitter.com/TrustlessState/s...65585059700743

https://twitter.com/androolloyd/stat...43449388462083

https://twitter.com/thatguygeo/statu...09546263490562
    Last edited by Cilvaringz; 11-04-2021 at 04:41 PM.

$10 a song, you must buy the entire album 31 tracks? so $310 per buyer. Limited to 36,000 available as NFT's that would bring in over $11 million

I would pay that in a heartbeat, but are there 35,999 other people willing doing the same?

Just having fun with ideas now

I think NFTS are the Google Glass of Crypto. And that's a bad comparison because Google Glass wasn't goofy. I don't think they'll go anywhere, and their pretense isn't profitable. People don't want to 'buy digital art'. Buy it do to what? You can't show anyone you own it, you can hang it up, you can't even keep ppl from using it and claiming (if it were a thing) that they own it as well. like Rings said 99% will fail. I'll add that the remaining 1% will sell for collector purposes and, at best - but not really - , money laundering.

I find that a lot of silicon valley hypebeast 'this is the next thing' trains ignore the basic pretense of money which is someone wanting or needing the said 'next thing' to exist. NFTs don't do anything for anyone and aren't at all different from regular ass copyrights which already exist.

digital content is like beach sand. Everyone want to be on the beach but nobody wants it in their pocket.

Veteran Member

Every time i read news about this publicity stunt album : https://tenor.com/Z58E.gif

Suck this drunk alcohol dick.