Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft making new Wu-Tang RPG

Default Microsoft making new Wu-Tang RPG

Xbox Reportedly Developing a Wu-Tang Clan Themed RPG
    The east coast icons may be returning to video games for the first time since Def Jam.
    Joseph Knoop
    By Joseph Knoop
    Updated: 25 Oct 2021 7:05 pm
    Posted: 25 Oct 2021 6:52 pm
    Microsoft is reportedly developing a new video game based on the Wu-Tang Clan. That's right, the infamous hip hop group that brought us RZA, Ghostface Killah, Method Man, and more east coast music icons will feature heavily in a new action-RPG, according to Windows Central.

Windows Central's reporting was reinforced by GamesBeat's Jeff Grubb, who said on his video show that he understood the information to be correct.

The game, codenamed "Shaolin," is reportedly in development at Brass Lion Entertainment, a newer studio that focuses on "fictional universes that center on Black, Brown, and other traditionally marginalized characters, cultures, and stories." The studio was founded by Manveer Heir (lead designer on Mass Effect 3), Bryna Dabby Smith (Def Jam Vendetta and Sleeping Dogs), and Rashad Redic (artist on The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim and Fallout 3). The studio lists collaborators such as the Grammy-winner Just Blaze (hip hop producer for Jay-Z, Drake, Beyonce) and writer Evan Narcisse (Rise of the Black Panther, in addition to a long history of video game journalism).

Brass Lion's first game, Corner Wolves, is described as narrative fictional podcast following a young Afro-Latina woman as she adventures through mid-90's Harlem to find her father's killer, touching on subjects including the drug war's impact on black and brown communities.

The game is reportedly a "third-person fantasy RPG" that will feature seasonal content and be an estimated "couple dozen hours" long.

The game will also reportedly be melee combat-focused and that it will support 4-player co-op, Windows Central said. The games-as-a-service aspects don't stop there. Players will be able to collect loot such as weapons and gear by completing procedural endgame dungeons or "tailor-made events."

Actual Wu-Tang Clan fans will also be happy to hear that the group will create the game's soundtrack.

See gallery

Don't expect to hear too much about the game in the immediate future, though. Heir tweeted last month that the studio was looking for a game designer to work on their unannounced project.

The game's "Shaolin" codename is likely a reference to Wu-Tang Clan's frequent theme of Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang martial arts styles. Original members Ol' Dirty Bastard and RZA similarly adopted the group's name from the 1983 martial arts film "Shaolin and Wu Tang," several samples of which made it onto the group's first album 36 Chambers. The group's first video game was also titled Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style, which released on PS1 in 1999. Members of the group also appeared as themselves in the Def Jam wrestling games.

The leak in question is tied to the Nvidia GeForce Now leak last month, in which listings for numerous new games and PC ports appeared, but a number of those listings (like a 2022 release date for BioShock 4) appear dubious at best.

Joseph Knoop is a writer/producer for IGN

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

I was down as soon as I heard soundtrack.

Great!
    Retired.

Rpg? Give us a fighting game

nada ignorante

lol rpg
    N.I.

I hope the incidental music in the game consists of new Wu Elements instrumentals as well

I mean next to the actual songs
    Retired.

Well GTA is basically an RPG. I don't think they need to copy GTA though, they can make it more about music, music management etc. There's a lot of different directions they could take it.

It would also be funny to just make it exactly like D&D with Raekwon as a paladin with an enchanted Polo jacket.

Lvl 99 ODB

I need Pong with Dlah's ugly mug for a ball
    Retired.

I'd rather have a first-person shooter or Mario Kart type game with the Wu. Not even joking. Remember when 50 Cent had a first-person shooter game back in the day? It was dumb, but really fun

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    The articles say it will have a 'fantasy setting'. That's interesting.
    First game that comes to mind with that, and the RPG elements, is Jade Empire. Plus Shenmue to a lesser extent. And if my knowledge server me correct, there have been quite a few action RPG's on the market focusing on martial arts as of lately. Just saw something called Overgrowth & Absolver. And I came across an actual fighting game called Shaoling vs Wutang.

Back in the day, I played Taste The Pain/Shaolin Style a lot. Even though it may have been horrible, with a multitap that shit was fun as hell. Now the fighting genre does not have the same status as it has back then. As it was either Fighting Games or FPS on the PC. Fighting Games are still very respected on their own. But I can see why they won't do this. What was missing from that original game, was to have the action from the FMV's. Everything was just constricted to the arena's. It would have been awesome to see a 3D brawler at work. Like Streets of Rage or Dynamite Cop.

It sounds like they got some experienced people in place. Something that is very important with gaming. (There is a tremendous number of Kickstarter games with an awesome idea that did get funding. Only to completely under deliver because the team did not have the knowledge or experience to pull it off.) So that's pretty promising. As this is still all very early, and a lot of games actually die in this stage. We'll just have to wait and see. I just hope they won't stuff the game with microtransactions, lootboxes & whatnot.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenchild View Post
    I'd rather have a first-person shooter or Mario Kart type game with the Wu. Not even joking. Remember when 50 Cent had a first-person shooter game back in the day? It was dumb, but really fun

Are you talking about the first 50 cent game, or the second one? Where his kid demanded a helicopter in the game. So the dev had to put a heli scene in.

And why an FPS? In my opinion that would hardly be a genre for Wu. Wu have way more lore in the fighting than they have with shooting.

A Kart game would be fun though. I think you can even pick up Unity and make this yourself within a couple of months.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997