Thread: The cassette tapes thread

Default The cassette tapes thread

Bought some second hand tapes that had been sitting in a garage for years.

Here's some storage and maintenance pointers I found

https://theaudioowl.com/cassette-tap...assette-tapes/

The slight background humming when playing the tapes I bought earlier this week makes me feel nostalgic

Do you still play tapes? Does the audio quality hold up? What are your fav tapes?

Do you play a tape all the way through in one go? Supposedly this is better in the long run, I guess it's true.

The last tape I bought before these was actually from Basement Dwellaz (Audio Booth) 5 years ago or so but I seem to have misplaced it meh
    Retired.

Found the Menes (Basement Dwellaz) tape! Along with a few more Audiobooth tapes

Here's my tape player :

https://www.kupindo.com/Portabl-ured...02-CD-FM-Radio

No brand player from South Korea lol. Only one speaker still does the job ... This thing has huge proportions damn
    Retired.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Yes, still regularly use them. I have found that older stereo decks are better as these newer ones always break down. So now I just go on eBay and purchase stereo systems from the 2000's as those were built to last unlike the crap of today that stops working after a month or two..

It seems a lot of people share your experience. I was on Amazon today to see if I could replace my tape deck (I'd prefer stereo sound) with a new mid priced player, but just about all of them had crappy reviews : the tape deck breaks down within 3 months.

I should see about a 2nd hand items player too, thanks for mentioning them
    Retired.

I used to buy cassette singles when I was a kid, stuff like Daft Punk, Wyclef Jean etc. I had quite a few and I can't remember what I had now.

Then I also would buy blank tapes and make mixtapes like 'Best of Biggie Smalls', because I had a hi-fi but only a portable tape player before I had a cd walkman or an mp3 player.

What a dweeb I was. Am.

The ABBOTT

I would buy CDs and then record them to cassette for listening in the ride. Years ago CD player for vehicles were way expensive.

I had never heard of cassette singles before. Very interesting. Between the ages of 16 and 28 you could find me in music shops all the time. It was all CDs and vinyl, not even regular length tapes.

One hip-hop shop imported mixtapes (actual tapes) from NY like G-Unit tapes etc.

You could buy cassettes at the seaside out on the streets, I remember from my early childhood (I didn't live at home). In the early eighties there must have still been plenty of cassettes for sale.

Didn't know cassette singles were a thing, for popular acts at that. Would these be tapes with 10 minutes or so of running time on each side?
    Retired.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

The most basic cassette singles had one song on side a and another on side b. Usually a radio friendly song on the a side and the street single on the second side.

The ABBOTT

Quote Originally Posted by David Daniel Davis View Post
    The most basic cassette singles had one song on side a and another on side b. Usually a radio friendly song on the a side and the street single on the second side.
    I remember this. Basically at that point in time, they sold for 2 or 3 dollars. So for teens and younger it was a good way for them to purchase. A entire album on cassette was 10 dollars and up.

- - - Updated - - -

Back in time, 10 dollars was a decent amount of money, circa 1990s. Wasn't minimum at the point around $4 a hour.?

^^$2 or 3 seems like a good price, cheaper than CD singles down here (which arguably often had 4 tracks)

My folks came to visit today to help out with the dog (made an unfortunate jump during recovery yesterday) and they surprised me with a new tape player since I'd told them about one of the speakers being busted. They said they paid about $85 for it. Seems kind of steep, so pretty awesome as a surprise gift. I hope the price means it's a quality item and not like the new devices that were mentioned earlier in the thread.

It has DAB radio and a USB-portal too. One tape deck. Good sound.
    Retired.