Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DiCaprio wanted to make a Wu movie, RZA backed out

Default DiCaprio wanted to make a Wu movie, RZA backed out

There's a lot of articles about this and in each one Rae sounds sad/angry, almost feeling betrayed. This is just one of the articles, but I recommend checking out the others because he says a lot of shit about RZA

https://www.nme.com/news/film/raekwo...biopic-3108893

Original article is in Rolling Stone, so that's the one to read.

It doesn't make RZA look good. Will be interesting to see his response.

Pre covid at least, a one shot movie with a higher budget probably would have been more profitable and acclaimed.

Am I imagining or misremembering, or was DiCaprio rumored to put in a bid for OUATIS?

I'm at work and just making a quick post, can't do an online search
    Retired.

Peace CT

RZA also turned down role in the Departed. Which is insane if you think about it. So maybe he just dislikes Leo, ha. Peace

A show can give a more in depth look because of its length, but a movie backed by DiCaprio would have been (much?) more high profile. both formulas have their advantages

RZA turning down a role in The Departed (which is new to me) is truly a missed opportunity for him. maybe not so much for us since he's not the greatest actor

Hard to imagine why RZA would turn down such a role unless it had to do with conflicting schedules like touring or taping another movies. or if it was just a one scene thing
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 12-02-2021 at 11:42 AM.
    Retired.

I don't see why they couldn't do both a TV series and a film. I guess there's the argument that one might undermine the success of the other, and the production companies would want it to be exclusive, but that doesn't mean you couldn't negotiate it.

Or even have the film as a jumping off point and then follow with a spin off series.

This is a missed opportunity, Wu-Tang deserved something cinematic. The TV show is fun but it's like a soap opera. It's especially surprising that RZA would prefer a series over a film, given his cinephile reputation.

Just waiting to see how RZA explains this.

Maybe the Hulu show provides more/longer money for all involved . "The series was created by RZA and Alex Tse, both of whom were expected to write for the series and executive produce alongside Brian Grazer, Merrin Dungey, and Method Man. Consulting producers were set to consist of Ghostface Killah, Inspectah Deck, Masta Killa, and GZA as well as the estate of Ol' Dirty Bastard." I think all members were executive producers on Of Mics and Men though. I think a movie should be made .

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    This is a missed opportunity, Wu-Tang deserved something cinematic

Yeah…..This whole series was handled wrong IMO. Rza should have made a movie and called it OUATIS and released that god forsaken cd as the sound track to it?

That would have been a fitting way to go out?

fitting way to go out?

these guys owe us ten plus projects for all the albums they pulled the plug on over the years. AIN'T NO RETIRING FROM THE CLAN SON
    Retired.

-Diamond in the Rough- 3rdEyeVizion's Avatar

I bet RZA’s wife had something to do with this..

1 movie that would have bombed versus a soon to be 3 season+ series that is pretty popular..

RZA was right.

Raekwon is always short sighted

Rae is mad .. he said some things about the wu tang killa beez and West coast killa beez.. like u-god
    He talks about once upon a time aswell
    He's mad @Divine

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Method Man, Cappadonna and Raekwon have all had something to say about Divine and it is probably for a reason. He is Rza's brother though, so they cannot deal with him as they would like to

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Rae is mad .. he said some things about the wu tang killa beez and West coast killa beez.. like u-god
    He talks about once upon a time aswell
    He's mad @Divine
    Happy Fri all!

Tangentially related... UGod talked about having some issue w Leo D in his book... Speaking of books cant wait to read Raes!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    fitting way to go out?

these guys owe us ten plus projects for all the albums they pulled the plug on over the years. AIN'T NO RETIRING FROM THE CLAN SON
    WORD BIG co siggy! Wu Tang Forever. Still waiting for the Cure, RAGU, Dark Matter, Crystal Meth, Doomstarks etc lol Hope it comes SUUUUUUUUUn

Quote Originally Posted by JZA/Jordon View Post
    1 movie that would have bombed versus a soon to be 3 season+ series that is pretty popular..

RZA was right.

Raekwon is always short sighted
    Nobody watches Hulu tho. Meanwhile you got kids today quoting NWA lyrics because of a mediocre Hollywood movie that came out a few years back. The movie would've given them way more exposure