Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DiCaprio wanted to make a Wu movie, RZA backed out

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenchild View Post
    Nobody watches Hulu tho. Meanwhile you got kids today quoting NWA lyrics because of a mediocre Hollywood movie that came out a few years back. The movie would've given them way more exposure
    I disagree 100% - If you follow the r/wutang reddit page the past few years since that show came out it's gotten way more active with people and young fans looking to discover the group.

The series was the right way to go, it ain't perfect! but it's been great

it'd be great to have some r/wutang redditors sign up here ...
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

A movie could have ended up streaming on a major platform also. So, I ain't buying a series was a better option. I would also think, average viewers would be willing to spend 2 hours to watch a movie compared to an entire season. Start with a film and spin off to series would have been ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by b-dolo View Post
    I would also think, average viewers would be willing to spend 2 hours to watch a movie compared to an entire season.

Exactly + The Wu story is not that interesting to go past more than 1 season IMO?

Makes you think about how Wu never really had in house film production. Them being on different labels didn't help in that respect although for their solo rapping careers it was a stroke of genius

Think of No Limit movies. Now imagine seeing all generals and some killa beez turn up in kung fu or ghetto themed flicks for 8 movies straight over the years
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 12-08-2021 at 05:52 AM.
    Retired.

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

The show was a better route. Can't do a movie about 9 different people from start to finish. The show brings more stuff together and has easter eggs for the hardcore fans as well. People are loving and they've won awards. Only people complaining are people on this website (of course) and the clan members who don't have a long term vision at all, I'm starting to realize the importance of RZA in the earlier stages as time goes by.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Did you guys see all the memes about Leo playing Jim Jones?

ha

I was always interested in the historical figure of Jim Jones. Gruesome guy. I listened to that death tape all the way through.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    The show was a better route. Can't do a movie about 9 different people from start to finish. The show brings more stuff together and has easter eggs for the hardcore fans as well. People are loving and they've won awards. Only people complaining are people on this website (of course) and the clan members who don't have a long term vision at all, I'm starting to realize the importance of RZA in the earlier stages as time goes by.
    co-sign.

Eastern village

Honsestly I didnt like the nwa movie that much. I mean it was cool for what it was but it felt like a moneygrab and potrayed ice cube and dr dre as hard tough guys.

I have a feeling a wu tang movie would probably go down the same way so a series is and was the best choice. I understand rae but instead of complain he should be a part of it like the rest of the wu generals to get it as authentic as possible.

Maybe they shouldve gone with a bigger platform then hulu though. Maybe netlix or hbo would have worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    Am I imagining or misremembering, or was DiCaprio rumored to put in a bid for OUATIS?
    I'm at work and just making a quick post, can't do an online search

It's in the book. He send someone to the listening session at MOMA. But the line was too long, so they did not go forward with it. IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    A show can give a more in depth look because of its length, but a movie backed by DiCaprio would have been (much?) more high profile. both formulas have their advantages
    RZA turning down a role in The Departed (which is new to me) is truly a missed opportunity for him. maybe not so much for us since he's not the greatest actor
    Hard to imagine why RZA would turn down such a role unless it had to do with conflicting schedules like touring or taping another movies. or if it was just a one scene thing
    RZA has a few films in which he is sort of okay. But in general he is not the best indeed. But he is no Nas in Belly or Dre in Training Day either. Heck, even Dame Dash was better in Highlander 4 than those two.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    I don't see why they couldn't do both a TV series and a film. I guess there's the argument that one might undermine the success of the other, and the production companies would want it to be exclusive, but that doesn't mean you couldn't negotiate it.
    Or even have the film as a jumping off point and then follow with a spin off series.
    This is a missed opportunity, Wu-Tang deserved something cinematic. The TV show is fun but it's like a soap opera. It's especially surprising that RZA would prefer a series over a film, given his cinephile reputation.
    Just waiting to see how RZA explains this.
    Just remembered RZA did another film like a year ago. But have you seen his Kung Fu outings? Those were terrible.

And as people are saying, when a film bombs, the money dries up. If you do a series, where the money is at the moment, you have a prolonged period in time from which you can build your brand. It is not a one shot. And in general, films about music artists have been hit or miss. And if you gambling on that, again a series would be wiser. Also for the story, we talking about at least 9 people as someone already mentioned here.
    And spin off series, do they actually work? The MCU really is an irregularity in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Rae is mad .. he said some things about the wu tang killa beez and West coast killa beez.. like u-god
    He talks about once upon a time aswell
    He's mad @Divine
    Is this all in the book? Because realy need to order that one. Enjoyed the Uey book, though it was written like he talks on his podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAll View Post
    Happy Fri all!
    Tangentially related... UGod talked about having some issue w Leo D in his book... Speaking of books cant wait to read Raes!
    Wasn't that about how he was chatting up Kim Kardashian or something, and Leo swooped in? Or was there something else at a Hollywood party?
    -edit- Just checked. It was at a Brett Ratner party. He was there with Ghost, super fucked up. And Leo was there too. Apparently Leo said something slick to U-God, and U-God was being tough guy saying he didn't care if hew was a movie star and would punch him in the face. Now Leo was with Q-Tip who was like, chill. And because of that nothing happened. After that Ghost & U-God bailed, but not before Ghost pissed on all the floors in the house, of the balcony, and started tearing up the landscaping while they were waiting for cars to pull up.

Jim Jones memes with Leo are solid!
    Last edited by Jet Set; 12-07-2021 at 05:05 AM.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

Movies was a better idea.. a trilogy to be exact

Let’s be real here.

you can’t tell wu history in 1 hr and 50 minutes. There’s no way a wutang movie would have done justice to the journey the brothers took.

i also think RZA is looking ahead , generation syndicated wealth is always better .

sometimes common sense is everything .

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Set View Post
    Apparently Leo said something slick to U-God, and U-God was being tough guy saying he didn't care if hew was a movie star and would punch him in the face.

That sounds like U God to a tee?

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Set View Post
    Jim Jones memes with Leo are solid!
    Hahahaha Those Leo meme’s are hilarious lol

Also regarding the Wu tang series/Movie it’s only supposed to be a bio pic not some Godfather trilogy type sage lol?

peace

RZA was 100% right on his Hulu show decision. Even if the movie would have been artistically better, dude is seeing the future and the fact the show got the younger generation more interested in Wu-Tang than a movie would have.
    Real Wu fans want that GZA documentary anyway with all his old footage, I don't care much about an acted out movie.