Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You know what I can’t stand anymore.

Banned

Default You know what I can’t stand anymore.

Peoples faces on zoom calls. Just yapping about whatever. It’s like some Max Headrum <sp> type stuff. I might be dating myself. I don’t cAre what it’s about, but whatever it is, more than likely it’s some self serving BS disguised as benevolence.

I’ve never answered a FaceTime that wasn’t initiated by family that’s under the age of 16.

After that, you call like an adult or I dont answer.

Does the corp have any opinions on this newer form of communication.

I absolutely loathe Skype and the like. When my then GF moved to NZ we skyped every week and it absolutely turned me off vid communication in any form. The pauses, the banality of the conversation, the lack of nearness. Everything about it really

in the previous academic year we were supposed to have Google Meets and stuff with the kids every week to discuss work in progress and to teach. I told the kids they could just have the time off. You'd think they'd be happy but at the end of term they called me lazy lol

Next Wednesday I have a whole day of work related Google Meets, discussing exam results with the faculty. Dreadful. I prefer real life meetings, even though I detest work meetings in general. How many decisions that move things along are actually made? //end rant

None of my friends and relatives use FaceTime etc. Everybody's low tech and pro real life meets

Imagine WuCorpers or Porkers FaceTiming each other? Yeah, I don't think so either.
    Retired.

Banned

People talk differently on camera also. Doesn’t matter if it’s a one on one FaceTime or a group chat.

Plus they can see themselves. And that’s distracting.

It’s a very inauthentic and strange way of communication.

I hate it because you have to sit there and pretend you're paying attention. Usually I zone out on phone calls or I'm looking at the internet and feigning interest.

Its funny when you watch old sci-fi films and they made video calls look cool and futuristic, but really they just restrict your freedom because you can't do anything else but the call.

I'll tell you what's way more fucked than video call. Non-video group discussions, like clubhouse and twitter spaces etc. vocal group chats with no video. I never realized how shit people's speech cadence is and how they're unable to get to the point until that shit. It's a miserable thing to experience.

Video calls are cool if I want to see my kid and wife, other than that they're awkward and miserable because then you can't just put the phone to your ear, you have to hold it in a way that forces it to be the primary thing you're doing. If it were a speaker call you could just put it on the table but with this crumb shit you have to prop it up or hold it in a very deliberate way. But I do call ppl with messenger more than the phone (w/o video).

Perfect example of new technology not solving a god damn fuckin problem. The amount of people that will call on a video applicable app but keep the video off tells you what you need to know as far as this being an 'improvement'. They just do stuff 'because it's doable' rather than seeing if there's a demand or need. Next they'll have toilets that stream your ass on spotify because '..digital'. Rza really fucked up ushering in all of this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dooch View Post
    People talk differently on camera also. Doesn’t matter if it’s a one on one FaceTime or a group chat.

Plus they can see themselves. And that’s distracting.

It’s a very inauthentic and strange way of communication.
    if you think about normal speech, humans spend little time looking at each other's faces. I read somewhere that if someone looks at you for over 7 uninterrupted seconds they have a strong feeling about you and either want to kill/hurt you are fuck you. It's literally a sign of aggression to have to look at someone's face for a long ass time. but the ppl that make these apps aren't 'social' and don't factor normal human behavior so the whole video chat ends up being awkward and pause ridden. The America custom of eye contact is rare. We're the only mammals that see it as a good thing. This is all of the bad aspects of that same issue with a weird distance that makes it impossible to factor context in the convo

Imagine picking up the call and this guy's just staring at you for 15 mins

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    I'll tell you what's way more fucked than video call. Non-video group discussions, like clubhouse and twitter spaces etc. vocal group chats with no video. I never realized how shit people's speech cadence is and how they're unable to get to the point until that shit. It's a miserable thing to experience.

Video calls are cool if I want to see my kid and wife, other than that they're awkward and miserable because then you can't just put the phone to your ear, you have to hold it in a way that forces it to be the primary thing you're doing. If it were a speaker call you could just put it on the table but with this crumb shit you have to prop it up or hold it in a very deliberate way. But I do call ppl with messenger more than the phone (w/o video).

Perfect example of new technology not solving a god damn fuckin problem. The amount of people that will call on a video applicable app but keep the video off tells you what you need to know as far as this being an 'improvement'. They just do stuff 'because it's doable' rather than seeing if there's a demand or need. Next they'll have toilets that stream your ass on spotify because '..digital'. Rza really fucked up ushering in all of this.

- - - Updated - - -

if you think about normal speech, humans spend little time looking at each other's faces. I read somewhere that if someone looks at you for over 7 uninterrupted seconds they have a strong feeling about you and either want to kill/hurt you are fuck you. It's literally a sign of aggression to have to look at someone's face for a long ass time. but the ppl that make these apps aren't 'social' and don't factor normal human behavior so the whole video chat ends up being awkward and pause ridden. The America custom of eye contact is rare. We're the only mammals that see it as a good thing. This is all of the bad aspects of that same issue with a weird distance that makes it impossible to factor context in the convo

Imagine picking up the call and this guy's just staring at you for 15 mins

Lol that’s what I’m saying. Plus the headshot only up close view is not view you have when you talk to someone unless you’re getting intimate or you’re in some awkward forced situation and it’s highly uncomfortable to talk to someone that close.

Tarantino said his favorite time in history is "any time pre-cell phones," and I agree. Not the same thing as Zoom or whatever, but I hate how people have phones with cameras now. I don't mind the '80s/'90s Zack Morris Saved by the Bell cell phones, because you couldn't text or take pictures, but these smartphones are too intrusive. Every time I leave my house I have to remind myself, "Don't do or say anything stupid cuz because people can record you." Ok, maybe that's a good thing lol. You'll never see me throw a fit at a restaurant or someplace because I'm afraid some Gen Z kid's gonna pull out a phone and record me

The ABBOTT

^Agree with this. Even on a further tangent. Family members/friend's kids, addicted to social media apps. I have firsthand witnessed this, basically on the phone cycling through IG, tik tok, Twitter etc. non stop. What a way to live your existence.

{>____<}

I've had three job interviews via Teams during COVID-19. I hate not meeting face to face. Screens freezing up, dropped internet connections, people not muting themselves, Teams is buggy at times, etc. I miss face to face interaction.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Word. I hate video calls too. I also hate long texting when it should be a fucking phone call.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blackula Spectacula View Post
    Word. I hate video calls too. I also hate long texting when it should be a fucking phone call.
    Yes that’s another one. Or people trying to text and drive when it’s safer and easier to just call someone.

Yes, that one too. I fucking hate that.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the worst.

- - - Updated - - -

Also hate when they video call you when they're driving. 😒

Banned

Their is really no reason to ever video call.

There*

Banned

My use of there/their/they’re is grammar fluid.

How dare you.