Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: washed up raekwon goes clout chasing......declares war on wu tang forever

People tend to overanalyze hip-hop albums, but it's quite simple: the beats work or they don't. Most of the beats on Forever work, but some definitely don't, hence the problem with the overall album. I haven't listened to Tupac's double lp in a while, but I listened to Biggie's double lp, and I was impressed with the beats. Even RZA gave him a dope ass beat.

Anyway, it's all about the beats. Always has been, always will be. The Wu never disappoints lyrically, just beat-wise

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

Wu-Tang Forever is perfect as it is... A great album IMO isn't about every song slamming as hard as it can... it's about the sonic journey it takes you on and how each piece works together. Wisdom Body isn't as engaging as Wu-Gambinos, but it all works together. The emotions, the color, everything. I think Forever works that way. Even Black Shampoo. That was such a unique wavey melody, only RZA could've made that. That's what I enjoy about it. Deadly Medley has that same unusual approach to the melody that again, it could only be RZA. That's what makes Wu-tang, Wu-tang for me.

”Still craps and lies” Andy Warhov's Avatar

Just tell me that Raekwon has no taste or is jelly of RZA unimpeachable genius

Quote Originally Posted by Cilvaringz View Post
    Wu-Tang Forever is perfect as it is... A great album IMO isn't about every song slamming as hard as it can... it's about the sonic journey it takes you.
    Well said

When Wu tang Forever came out it was totally ground breaking, just on another level (People seem to forget that?).

he's entitled to his weird opinion, but ima just say lets just thank god Raekwon didn't have any creative control over most of Wu-Tang's greatest achievements
    he gives Wu Forever a 79/100 then makes Immobiliarity....OK lol

he's shown over the last couple months of his interviews that RZA had the better vision over how Raekwon wanted to handle things almost 100% of the time
    Last edited by Mumm Ra; 12-19-2021 at 04:47 PM.

also I feel like if you're Raekwon and have no real experience of what goes into being one of the most gifted musical minds of all time, what goes into mixing, mastering, editing, managing 9 different opinions, arranging sounds - I don't care if Rae is one of the greatest lyricists - he didn't have to do 5% of the work RZA did. At some point you have to put your personal opinion aside and stand for your brand especially if the entire world loves it

I used to consider Forever n Liquid Swords to be the 2 greatest hip hop albums of all thyme. But for some reason Forever is something I rarely have the desire to listen to. Still tho, I do consider it to be one of the very best hip hop albums. I think disc one is almost flawless if u pretend that shitty intro never existed, as I always have. Fuck that garbage off and u have a concise and very well constructed album of classic tracks.

Disc two is excellent too, but for me it's more like everything that was left after putting together disc one. Which is not to say it's of a lesser quality. Just not an especially coherent whole. Kinda like the Wu-Tang White Album.

Funnily enough, after recently going through all the classic Wu albums (and the shit ones too, actually), for the first thyme in many years, I can say that I think Cuban Linx is the standalone greatest hip hop album of all thyme. So Rae has got that one at least, imo.
    Last edited by noel411; 12-20-2021 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    Funnily enough, after recently going through all the classic Wu albums (and the shit ones too, actually), for the first thyme in many years, I can say that I think Cuban Linx is the standalone greatest hip hop album of all thyme. So Rae has got that one at least, imo.
    Cuban Linx has always been my favorite hip-hop album ever. It's flawless. Ghost bodied every track he's on

Veteran Member

I still consider Forever to be my favorite album ever, but it would have been better without those 5-6 fillers.

I used to consider Forever n Liquid Swords to be the 2 greatest hip hop albums of all thyme. But for some reason Forever is something I rarely have the desire to listen to. Still tho, I do consider it to be one of the very best hip hop albums. I think disc one is almost flawless if u pretend that shitty intro never existed, as I always have. Fuck that garbage off and u have a concise and very well constructed album of classic tracks.

Disc two is excellent too, but for me it's more like everything that was left after putting together disc one. Which is not to say it's of a lesser quality. Just not an especially coherent whole. Kinda like the Wu-Tang White Album.

Thats funny - I feel the opposite and Disc 2 is sheer perfection to me. Wu Forever was my real introduction to the clan though and I'm sure that makes a difference. The beats and rhymes are so next level that I don't think it would've mattered personally though. I listened to that album every day for 7 years straight, maybe missing no more than 5 days in that time - no exaggeration. The full album. I still listen to at least one track damn near every day to this day.

Even though Liquid Swords is my favorite - if there's such thing as an objectively GOAT hip hop album I think it probably is OB4CL since it has a mix of grimy street rhymes and slang and deep lyrics, and the pacing/ arrangement of songs is perfect. It's the most all around complete album I can think of, it has something for everybody.

^from what I recall from threads on here in the past, disc two is the more favoured side. Surprising to me, but so be it. I've always been very much a disc one man.

-Diamond in the Rough- 3rdEyeVizion's Avatar

Forever is a certified classic. My favorite Wu Album. Rae should stop complaining. He got one classic under his own belt and RZA was the main man behind that as well

Forever is arguably better than 36 Chambers but different enough for it to be a matter of opinion.
    They were all clearly in a bad mood when they recorded it which is why every single member says it's not a good album. They probably had a blast recording 36 Chambers in contrast.
    Ghost says the same about Ironman and Method Man about Tical. They all judge those albums based on how they themselves were feeling at the time it was recorded

Rae has the right to 'complain' if Rza is playing with his money.
    Last edited by TSA; 12-22-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    They were all clearly in a bad mood when they recorded it which is why every single member says it's not a good album. They probably had a blast recording 36 Chambers in contrast.

I don’t know why people say Forever is not a cohesive album, everyone on there seems to be of one mind IMO? I don’t hear discrepancy when I listen to the album?

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

^from what I recall from threads on here in the past, disc two is the more favoured side. Surprising to me, but so be it. I've always been very much a disc one man.
    Yeah, the general consensus as far as I know for both hard core Wu Tang Clan fans and casuals is that disk two is the preferred disk..