Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: washed up raekwon goes clout chasing......declares war on wu tang forever

Eastern village

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Set View Post
    When talking about 90's hiphop, there is a lot of stories that are only written up in magazines through articles and interviews. Or not even written, and just radio interviews. Which makes one think about the amount of background we are missing. Or the amount of background that is being rewritten through the echo chamber of the internet.

For All Eyez On Me, 'Pac literally picked the best beats from Death Row. My Mind Made Up was a Dogg Pound track. The two Dre tracks were made for Dre's 2nd album.
    I agree. Alot of information got lost in time. Internet was new to most people and people got their information from magazines like vibe and xxl. So if noone really have the magazines from that time stored we will not be able to go back and read those articles again. If vibe or xxl post them on their web site. But the job would be humongous so I dont see that happening.

And for all eyez on me yes he got the best music at the time. But he was also one of the most contriversial artists at the time aswell plus hes name was known allready so it makes sense they did gave him a musical push. Even puff daddy gave biggie the best beats from the bad boy camp. He had the hit makers at the time aswell and they were really good producers.

Bonus fact. U cant see me was originally made for the dogg pound. I got that song on my computer and Im sure you can find it on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by zooruka View Post
    I don’t know why people say Forever is not a cohesive album, everyone on there seems to be of one mind IMO? I don’t hear discrepancy when I listen to the album?
    There's a lot of nonsensical group-think takes in hip hop and this is one of them. So many ppl will say it that you'll look crazy saying otherwise but you're right.
    Forever is one of the most sonically, thematically, lyrically and conceptually consistent albums in hip hop history. All of the songs there fit and sound like the fit. That album is grand/epic. The lyrics are grand and epic, the references in the lyrics are grand and epic down to the word choices. The beats and sounds are grand and epic, the song concepts the same. And that being the peak of their careers even adds to that. It's pretty moronic for ppl to come for that album when most of the groups career highs are on that album skill-wise (beats, lyrics).

People want to be able to say something and that's something that can be said. Whenever people say songs should be taken off Forever I ask them which ones and there's barely an answer. Are you going to take off Hell's Wind Staff, Scary Hours, Bells of War or Triumph? The most they'll give you is Black Shampoo which is a great fucking song that has no equal anywhere in hip hop, but the group-think hot take is to say U-god is wack so that's the least safe one.
    Last edited by TSA; 12-22-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Veteran Member

I don't think, after the 100's of times I've listened to WTF, I've ever tried to determine if I like disc 1 or 2 better. That would be a tough one for me because....disc 1 has less skips for me than disc 2, but there are more tracks on disc 2. And my 2 favorite tracks are split between them. So I don't know lol

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    There's a lot of nonsensical group-think takes in hip hop and this is one of them. So many ppl will say it that you'll look crazy saying otherwise but you're right.
    Forever is one of the most sonically, thematically, lyrically and conceptually consistent albums in hip hop history. All of the songs there fit and sound like the fit. That album is grand/epic. The lyrics are grand and epic, the references in the lyrics are grand and epic down to the word choices. The beats and sounds are grand and epic, the song concepts the same. And that being the peak of their careers even adds to that. It's pretty moronic for ppl to come for that album when most of the groups career highs are on that album skill-wise (beats, lyrics).

People want to be able to say something and that's something that can be said. Whenever people say songs should be taken off Forever I ask them which ones and there's barely an answer. Are you going to take off Hell's Wind Staff, Scary Hours, Bells of War or Triumph? The most they'll give you is Black Shampoo which is a great fucking song that has no equal anywhere in hip hop, but the group-think hot take is to say U-god is wack so that's the least safe one.
    For real. Sonically it was different from what people heard before from Wu. But in the last 15 years it dawned on me that this album was the next step forward. Indeed people would not understand untill '2 g', as RZA said.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

Is Sunshower generally considered to be a part of this album? The copies I've owned of it always had it, so I'm used to it. Otherwise it'd end on Black Shampoo for me, which would be a weird closer. I don't listen to the tekitha song or Rae's stupid outro. I never used to listen to Shampoo either, in which case it would've ended on Heaterz. Sunshower is a great closer.

A Better Tomorrow and It's Yours are a fantastic way to close out disc one.

raekwon is bugging the fuck out i dont even want to watch the video the double lp wu tang forever is a classic from front to back and my fav album of all times this specially if you love lyrics and if you listening to wutang and dont love listening to lyrics then i dont know what the hell you listening for in the first place so many jewelz in that album lyrically its a master piece

I listened to Forever over the last couple of days. I'd still skip Black Shampoo. I like Uey. He has one of the strongest solo discogs in the clan. But I don't need to hear that song when I've just heard a a shit tonne of classic Wu shit ahead of it.

So without Sunshower the album would end on Heaterz, for me.

Second Coming is dope. Dark sounding track to cap off the album.

Black Shampoo was okay cos it gives a bit of balance to the album. Cilvaringz had it right, not every track needs to be an epic 5 star composition, you need the balance of different style songs and a way of building tension over the course of an album.

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    I like Uey. He has one of the strongest solo discogs in the clan.
    I agree, except for all the other members.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Second Coming is dope. Dark sounding track to cap off the album.

Black Shampoo was okay cos it gives a bit of balance to the album. Cilvaringz had it right, not every track needs to be an epic 5 star composition, you need the balance of different style songs and a way of building tension over the course of an album.
    Yeah it could've worked on the album, just doesn't work well in that spot. At least not for me. But tbh I dunno where it would've worked well. So maybe not. Personally I'd have left it off the album.

I don't like the tekitha song. Hadn't heard it in forever (no pun intended), until just recently. I didn't enjoy hearing it again. I'm not a huge fan of her singing tbh.

It'd b an unfortunate ending without Sunshower, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    I agree, except for all the other members.
    He didn't get in on the golden era, but his later albums r better than pretty well anyone else in the clan's albums from that same period. Oh, maybe not Raekwon, actually.

I'd say Gza and Rae would probably be the only 2 who'd outdo him if I did an accumulative average of each one of their discogs.

Yeah Ghost's first 2 albums alone r worth a shit tonne more than Uey's whole discog, but I'm not gonna ignore the fact he's done an endless string of so so albums ever since.

Uey's had 3 really good albums in a row. Aside from that he had a pretty decent debut and one total flop. I wouldn't factor in the hillside scramblers album any more than i would the Theodore unit album for Ghost.

Who else in the clan has a discog even worth mentioning? MK's is pretty good, but not great. Rza's albums r far too hit and miss. ODB only did 2 albums, one of which was pretty average. Deck doesn't know how to make albums. And Meth hasn't done anything remotely noteworthy (solo wise) since his first 2 almost classic albums.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    And Meth hasn't done anything remotely noteworthy (solo wise) since his first 2 almost classic albums.
    Maybe I'm in the minority but I really like 421 and his Meth Lab albums are decent. He also has the Blackouts. So I think he really only has one weak release with Tical 0.

But I do agree that his first two albums are his absolute best. But I still don't think he's released his best work. I'll hold my breath...

Shaolin Master

Title thread is tabloid fodder.

He's not knocking the album at all.
    Rae still gives Wu Forever a solid 80%, his personal opinion, which he is very much entitled to.

His main gripe is that not all members were involved in the creative decision making process (which basically means Rae himself). But let's face it, if Rae had significant input into the creation of Wu Forever - then the whole of disc 2 would have been comprised of Tryflin beats (gulp!)
    "Naa Rza cut out Heaterz, fuck that dark funeral bullshit lord... I got this lullaby with Big Bub produced by Freddie no-name that will be vintage shit by 2021."

Not looking forward to Scarlet Fever...
    Last edited by Mythrandir; 12-24-2021 at 04:08 PM.

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

I'll always remember when I asked RZA about Shaolin Finger Jab and why he faded it out on the album. And he answered it wasn't him, but Rae. And that he almost did the same with Ice Cream. Different ears, different tastes I suppose.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

I am certain Rza still has the full track, he should just release it��