Thread: Late bloomers, MCs who got better with age

Default Late bloomers, MCs who got better with age

This is very, very rare in music or any other art form. But with hip-hop, I can only think of two, Roc Marciano and RA the Rugged Man. Artists usually don’t get better with age, but these two guys are rare exceptions. Any others?

Veteran Member

Method Man

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Conway, Westside, Benny..all these guys are in their mid-late 30's. Back in the 80's-90's once rappers got past 30 they started to fall off a bit. They're only getting better.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Depends how much with age your talking about but I reckon B real got better as an mc with age? Maybe not so much now but by his third album he was a heaps better mc?

There was a thread in Wu-Tang Chamber where someone raised this topic and the first artist that came to my mind was RA The Rugged Man. His last album was extremely good. You can definitely see his growth both as an artist and as a person. To be honest i kind of gave up on modern hip-hop music several years ago, but "All My Heroes Are Dead" was a breath of fresh air.

The other one is Evidence. He has gone through some rough shit lately and it affected his music, to the point where it's too personal and gloomy for me at times. But i still never miss new shit from him. He cares about quality.

Would be interesting to hear your opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    Conway, Westside, Benny..all these guys are in their mid-late 30's. Back in the 80's-90's once rappers got past 30 they started to fall off a bit. They're only getting better.
    I never realized those guys were already that old tbh
    Retired.

I wrote a reply earlier but I guess it didn't post. Anyway, just said that RA the Rugged Man is the best example of a late bloomer. His beats aren't always solid, but his lyrics are. As for Griselda, they don't really count. They're just old Millennials who didn't get their shot till way later. Not because they weren't good enough, but because nobody gave them a shot till very recently. I'm pretty sure they had the same style 10 years ago