Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World's 10 Richest Men Doubled Their Wealth In The Pandemic

Default World's 10 Richest Men Doubled Their Wealth In The Pandemic

https://www.theguardian.com/business...covid-pandemic

World’s 10 richest men see their wealth double during Covid pandemic

Oxfam calls for windfall tax as 99% of world population takes a pay cut while top 10 incomes grow by $1bn a day

Elon Musk, the founder of Tesla, became the world’s richest man during the Covid crisis. Photograph: Aly Song/Reuters

Larry Elliott
    Mon 17 Jan 2022 00.01 GMTLast modified on Mon 17 Jan 2022 06.38 GMT

The 10 richest men in the world have seen their global wealth double to $1.5tn (£1.01tn) since the start of the global pandemic following a surge in share and property prices that has widened the gap between rich and poor, according to a report from Oxfam.

Urging governments to impose a one-off 99% wealth tax on Covid-19 windfall gains, the charity said World Bank figures showed 163 million more people had been driven below the poverty line while the super-rich were benefiting from the stimulus provided by governments around the world to mitigate the impact of the virus.
    Oxfam projects that by 2030, 3.3 billion people will be living on less than $5.50 per day.
    The charity said the incomes of 99% of the world’s population had reduced from March 2020 to October 2021, when Elon Musk, the founder of the electric car company Tesla, and the other nine richest billionaires had been collectively growing wealthier by $1.3bn a day.
    Musk, according to figures taken from Forbes magazine’s billionaires list, saw his wealth increase 10-fold to $294bn in the first 20 months of the pandemic, catapulting him above Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon, to be the world’s richest person.

During a period when technology stocks were soaring on Wall Street, Bezos’s net wealth rose 67% to $203bn, Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg’s wealth doubled to $118bn, while the wealth of the founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates, increased by 31% to $137bn.

The charity urged governments to levy taxes on capital and wealth in a report – Inequality Kills – intended to coincide with the now-postponed gathering of the global elite at the World Economic Forum in Davos.

Oxfam said a one-off 99% windfall tax on the Covid wealth gains of the 10 richest men could pay for enough jabs to vaccinate the entire world and provide the resources to tackle climate change, provide universal healthcare and social protection, and address gender-based violence in 80 countries. Even after a 99% levy, the top 10 billionaires would be $8bn better off between them than they were before the pandemic, the charity said.

Danny Sriskandarajah, the Oxfam GB chief executive said: “The explosion in billionaires’ fortunes at a time when poverty is increasing lays bare the fundamental flaws in our economies. Even during a global crisis our unfair economic systems manage to deliver eye-watering windfalls for the wealthiest but fail to protect the poorest. It is an avoidable tragedy that every day people die because they lack essentials such as food and healthcare.

“Today’s generation of leaders can start to right these wrongs by implementing progressive taxes on capital and wealth and deploying that revenue to save lives and invest in our future. They should make sure that Covid-19’s long-term legacy is quality universal healthcare and social protection for all. Governments have an historic opportunity to back bold economic plans based on greater equality that change the deadly course we are on.”

Share prices fell sharply in the early weeks of the pandemic but were then boosted by the stimulus provided by central banks and finance ministries around the world. Cuts in interest rates to record low levels and massive increases in the supply of money through the bond-buying process known as quantitative easing sent stock markets soaring, with technology companies such as Amazon, Google, Apple and Facebook boosted by an increase in working from home and online shopping during the pandemic.

While people on more modest incomes have also seen their assets rise in value during the pandemic, Oxfam said the 10 richest men own six times as much wealth as the bottom 40% (3.1 billion people). It would take the 10 billionaires 414 years to spend their combined wealth at a rate of a million dollars each per day, the charity added.

The threat posed by inequality was highlighted last week by David Malpass, the president of the World Bank, when he announced his organisation’s latest forecasts for the global economy.
    “Developing countries are facing severe long-term problems related to lower vaccination rates, global macro policies and the debt burden,” he said.
    “There’s a growing canyon between their growth rates and those in advanced economies. This inequality is even more dramatic in per capita and median income terms, with people in the developing world left behind and poverty rates rising. We’re seeing troubling reversals in poverty, nutrition and health”

Am rich, can confirm.
    Retired.

Oxfam said a one-off 99% windfall tax on the Covid wealth gains of the 10 richest men could pay for enough jabs to vaccinate the entire world and provide the resources to tackle climate change, provide universal healthcare and social protection, and address gender-based violence in 80 countries.
    This is the world you live in.

All I want is for Buffett, Branson or Gates to pay for next week's septic tank emptying so I can use my own toilet again. PRESSING MATTER. These Soul Controller type 3rd world problems in 1st world countries need to be addressed by the Bilderberg Buddies.

If not I might have to start a shit smear campaign.

It's not like I'm asking for much. We can schedule gender based violence solutions and world peace next year.
    Retired.

All I want is for Buffett, Branson or Gates to pay for next week's septic tank emptying so I can use my own toilet again. PRESSING MATTER. These Soul Controller type 3rd world problems in 1st world countries need to be addressed by the Bilderberg Buddies.

If not I might have to start a shit smear campaign.

It's not like I'm asking for much. We can schedule gender based violence solutions and world peace next year.
    Retired.

Banned

Progressivism is nothing more than politicians and government bureaucrats who want a bigger cut.

You’re a fool if you think they have any sort of solution to this or that they aren’t more easily bought off than anyone else.

Your naïveté is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooch View Post
    Progressivism is nothing more than politicians and government bureaucrats who want a bigger cut.

You’re a fool if you think they have any sort of solution to this or that they aren’t more easily bought off than anyone else.

Your naïveté is funny.
    Are you talking to me?

I didn't say anything naive. As usual you assume a bunch of shit I don't think and didn't say. I really don't know what goes on in your head.

”Still craps and lies” Andy Warhov's Avatar

This shit is gross. I don't know why this not bigger news. Its not like these guys are making the world a better place. The amazon guy wants the whole company run by robots and Elon Musk just makes cars for douchebags and sending up spy sats for rogue nations.

Tax them cock smokers

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Are you talking to me?

I didn't say anything naive. As usual you assume a bunch of shit I don't think and didn't say. I really don't know what goes on in your head.
    Ok “sha”… indulge me, babeski.

{>____<}

Sad but then again, they're businessman. This Bruce Wayne "save the world" person isn't real. I can't be mad them because they're good at what they do.

I have my issues with these companies. Amazon is a huge employer but slave drivers. You couldn't pay me enough money to work there.

DoorDash, Uber, UberEats are crap companies who rob people.

It's all business.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

{>____<}

Sad but then again, they're businessman. This Bruce Wayne "save the world" person isn't real. I can't be mad them because they're good at what they do.

I have my issues with these companies. Amazon is a huge employer but slave drivers. You couldn't pay me enough money to work there.

It's all business.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post

It's all business.
    Amazon workers need solidarity and a union. I don’t believe the millenial generation capable
    Of this but perhaps the next generation.

It’s just the next logical step for them. Stop relying on corrupt politicians and stop fighting for scumbag criminals and junkies. Fight for your fellow working man, get your piece.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post

It's all business.
    Amazon workers need solidarity and a union. I don’t believe the millenial generation capable
    Of this but perhaps the next generation.

It’s just the next logical step for them. Stop relying on corrupt politicians and stop fighting for scumbag criminals and junkies. Fight for your fellow working man, get your piece.

And stop posturing like you want the whole pie, you won’t get shit like that.

You’re completely correct about doordash and all that stuff. But people are lazy enough to use it, can’t really fault the company’s.
    Last edited by Dooch; 01-20-2022 at 08:44 AM.

A while back I was looking into the companies that gained the most from the pandemic and saw that one covid vaccine distribution contract winner grew by 1000% in a year. Our economy is structured to sustain and increase profits. Not get some big windfall then call yourself lucky and go back to reality. If that company's growth drops to 900% investors will panic. So they now have a vested interested in sustaining their demand even if it's artificially propped up. If they're particularly savvy, they have a lot to gain by investing in public manipulation because it's the only way to keep it going. Enough panic and the company as a whole will evaporate because the model of business in our society is goofy.

And this is one baby shit company in comparison to the BIG DAWGZ that made the vaccines.

^ True, and there has to be a better way of doing things. Too many things have changed and continue to change. All the problems facing humanity in the 21st century to a great extent are a byproduct of capitalism, which is not to dismiss capitalism's benefits, its just a fact.

The economic and environmental shitstorm is on the horizon. You can't use 19th or 20th century ideas to combat it.