Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Russia invades Ukraine - international tensions abound - Dooch gets the kiss of death

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Set View Post
    China said it was not an invasion. But they have been eyeing Taiwan for years now. Especially after they invaded Hong Kong.
    China is gonna feel the pain though, they import a shitload of stuff from Ukraine.

https://oec.world/en/profile/bilater...4B%20in%202019.
    Retired.

That is going to be something. I was already reading about there huge grain & barley exports. Even if China & Russia are buddies, it will take some time before the industries are back on the same level as before.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

Retired.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/vi...soldiers-video

All the talk about sanctions feels like like empty promises seeing the soldier march in and hospitals getting bombed.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

not that I'm in the know obviously but it's pretty safe to assume NATO will not send troops into Ukraine, even if things get much worse (= complete takeover of the country without ecen installing a puppet government - seems unlikely). NATO is only in place to protect its own members and the borders.

Putin has warned "Europe will see a catastrophe like none they have witnessed before if it interferes". ol boy is talking about nukes. this is posturing because he knows NATO is not there to go help out a country adjacent to NATO territory

As long as NATO don't send in troops there is no immediate global threat like a WW3 type event in the making

NATO will stick to its member states sending weapons and all kinds of supplies and making sure Ukrainian refugees are taken care of

what we will see in the near future is more expenditure by member states on their own defense budget and on NATO's defense budget. Some EU states are notoriously behind on their expenses in terms of NATO support (Belgoum, Luxemburg etc) Obama, Biden and in a more outspoken way Trump have called these member states on their shit and they were right to do so

and just like in the Cold War days we will see more permanent troops on NATO borders in Europe

we will also see more of a push for the Green Deal that the EU agreed on because more green energy will mean less dependence on Russian oil and gas

right now some EU states don't want to go all the way with financial repercussions for Russia because of outstanding debt in oil and gas purchases and the (remote) possibility Putin will cut Europe off from 'his' gas and oil

as ALL EU states are pretty scared right now and realize there is very little they can do to calm Putin tf down (they are energy dependent) the Green Deal will become more important

you know Europeans must be really shitting their pants when the PMs of Poland and Slovakia - not exactly EU boys - are calling for 'immediate EU action'

imo the EU should also invest in a large EU army, which would make the EU less dependent of the US in NATO too. in terms of 'scaring' Putin it might not help much though

Putin might take over part of Ukraine but NATO might in turn accept more countries (not Ukraine, not Georgia) as members. Sweden and Finland are thinking about joining now

I will say that if Finland applies for NATO membership and gets accepted things will get much dicier (dicy-er?) as Finland borders on Russia. that'd drive Putin completely over the edge - invasion of Finland and bombs over the EU (no nukes still I think). Finland becomes NATO member = WW3 starts
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 02-26-2022 at 02:40 PM.
    Retired.

The Netherlands seem to be willing to send quite a lot of weaponry (in proportion to its own army) to Ukraine. the MH17 trauma (RIP) probably plays part in this?
    Retired.

meanwhile China is studying the SHIT out of NATO, EU and US reactions to predict how their invasion of Taiwan (I see it happening before 2030) is gonna play out internationally
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    Putin has warned "Europe will see a catastrophe like none they have witnessed before if it interferes". ol boy is talking about nukes.

Who the hell is Putin to make that kind of threat? West allies should send troops in (Britain, US, NATO) to Ukraine to drive the Russians out and inflict a humiliating lose on them? I don’t mind them not attacking Russia directly but who the hell is Putin to tell a sovereign nation/nation’s what they can and can’t do on their own territory.

Zalensky should make the call?

due to budget shifts in the EU as hinted at above I think social security provisions etc will go down - coupled with higher retail prices for food and goods due to oil & gas price surges, the war and the tail end of transportation problems of goods due to COVID

tl;dr : we're fucked
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 02-26-2022 at 03:55 PM.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by zooruka View Post
    Who the hell is Putin to make that kind of threat? West allies should send troops in (Britain, US, NATO) to Ukraine to drive the Russians out and inflict a humiliating lose on them? I don’t mind them not attacking Russia directly but who the hell is Putin to tell a sovereign nation/nation’s what they can and can’t do on their own territory.

Zalensky should make the call?
    Zelensky made that call yesterday but NATO & US aren't gonna go for it
    Retired.

Accurate posts Hal. Theres no good ending to this.

A war between the EU and Russia would be a huge L for humanity. At the same time letting Putin have his way this time around increases the likelihood of more attacks either way, plus a number of other shitty consequences that Hal hinted at.

Can we update the thread title Hal? Just seems like its already history.

sure thing, thread title changed accordingly
    Retired.

Banned

Hard for me to have an objective opinion on this whole situation because US media is so biased about this situation across the board.

But it raises a lot of red flags for me when warhawks have been drooling for this for almost a decade. Like the supermajority of most Americans, I don’t think we should be involved.

But we will do what we do and fight a proxy war that will just prolong this conflict for years.

Any US President that sends actual troops in there will face war protests not seen since Vietnam. So that completely off the table.

Western Europe needs to protect itself. For too long they’ve been suckling the test of US taxpayer backed military protection.

Just so you Euro’s understand the majority of us don’t care. Don’t believe what you see about “stand with Ukraine celebrity BS.

Also, American political criticism of Putin and Russia are laughable at best because they’re total hypocrites. They also created some of the instability in Urkaine.

They want us to care so badly but we don’t.