Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post
That's exactly how it was with us too. I remember a mate of mine got DMX - Flesh of my Flesh and another mate got It's Dark and Hell is Hot and then we all made copies of it on cassette. Love how it was all co-ordinated it reminds me of how when I was really young my dad and his friends would buy Amiga games then copy them for everyone so they only bought a few games but had heaps more. Then me personally I would record my favourite songs on to a tape and make my own mixtapes. We would all swap cds too make copies then bring them back to school the next day, I remember getting 40 Dayz 40 Nightz off a mate that was mindblowing.

Then you get one of the rich kids in the late 90's who had a cd burner and fast enough internet to download songs and that was a game changer, for $10 this one kid in high school would burn whatever we gave him as a list.

Sanity at Hurstville used to have this little DJ shop attached to it that had DJ equipment but it had a ton of rap and dance music. In the main Sanity you would get like Coolio, Eminem etc all the basic stuff but in this other place is where you'd get Master P, Xzibit, Ruff Ryders, All the Wu-Tang shit, Dr Dre, Snoop it was paradise. We tried to buy Restless for $25 all in shrapnel and the guy wouldn't sell it to us haha I remember once having $30 and spent like an hour deciding on what I wanted to buy, I think I bought The W that time. I distinctly remember a time where I had The W and Forever in my hand for 10 minutes trying to decide which one to buy.

Naughty By Nature - 19 Naughty Nine was another popular album it felt like everyone in my year had that CD. The day I bought Moment of Truth by GangStarr and Liquid Swords at the big HMV store in the city was monumental for me lol

I remember going to that music store underneath the George St cinema and being blown away, I wish I was old enough to have had a job so I could've bought a bunch of shit. Soul Clap was a great store for hip hop they mostly focused on underground stuff which is where I was getting stuff like Non Phixion, Necro, Immortal Technique, all the import stuff.

One of my great regrets was I swapped Regurgitator's Unit for the Marshall Mathers LP with a guy at school and I quickly grew out of Eminem by the time Eminem Show came out but I always liked the Gurge.

There was a cool simplicity to it all built connections with friends, swapping and sharing cds with each other and trying to one up people with the "listen to what I just got" When I was 18 and at my first job out of high school this guy was a bit older than me and would bring in underground rap cds for me to go home and listen to and he put me on to a whole ton of shit that I still have on a hard drive: Arsonists, Copywrite, Murs, Cage, Cunninglinguists, Company Flow, Ras Kass, Aesop Rock, 7L & Esoteric. Actually, my favourite part about Wu-Corp was always the discovery of dope music even non-hip hop I've pretty much always used this place as a way to discover music.
zu lange nicht gelesen