Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The first few hip hop albums you heard

Default The first few hip hop albums you heard

Who can recall the first hip hop albums they heard?

Mine went something like...

Salt n peppa - very necessary
    Nwa - straight outta Compton
    Snoop - Doggystyle
    Warren g - regulate
    Public enemy - music in our message
    Cypress hill - cypress hill and black sunday

After that I don't know.

nada ignorante

Coolio - it takes a thief
    Bone thugs - e1999

Public Enemy - Fear of a black planet
    Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
    Retired.

Veteran Member

Good thread.... Don't laugh 😀

House of Pain
    Cypress Hill
    Kris Kross Totally Krossed Out
    MC Hammer - Please Hammer Don't Hurt Am
    Vanilla Ice
    Salt N Peppa - Very Necessar
    Onyx - Bacdafucup
    Snoop - Doggystyle

Basically all the tapes I had just before CDs were a thing

Banned

I think the first full album I heard was LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out which I bought after doing some odd jobs for money like mowing lawns.

Being a kid in the mid 90s in Australia I was basically only hearing the very few mainstream singles and then the big hits on Yo! on MTV. I didn’t have money to spend, parents weren’t buying me much and downloading music wasn’t a thing I had to make mistakes from the radio. I had a dozen or so episodes recorded on VHS of Yo!

I think that Coolio - Gangsta’s Paradise, Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers and Puff Daddy - No Way Out followed in that order.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Yeah man it was crazy being into hip hop in the mid 90's in Australia. I remember at high school there were only a few people I knew of who were into it. And I mean in the whole school. Not just people I knew. That was in like 95/96. After that it started to take off.

My older brother had a friend who was into hip hop. That's how i heard NWA. Then one of my friend's sister's had snoop and warren g. Another friend had the cypress albums. N i got the PE tape at a music shop that was closing down.

My parents didn't buy me shit. Everything i got was thru people at school. Dubbed tapes. I started getting into Geto boys n shit thru my brother's mate. Then in '96 i hit the fucking jackpot when a guy from my year moved in down the street n his older sister worked at a music shop n had the best fucking cd collection imaginable, haha. She used to keep them all in shoe boxes, haha.

That was when everything coming out was amazing. I didn't even have a cd player, but i dubbed them all onto cassette. Must've used my bro's cd player to do it.

Great fucking thymes. Back when every album mattered n got plenty of attention.

Ice t power was another of my first ones too. A friend had it on cd n gave it to me cos he didn't like it, haha.

Most my own collection i started to build was just anything i could get cheap, n anything my brother's mate bought n didn't really like he'd sell to me cheap. I got niggamortis from him.

Step in the arena was another of my first ones. N it takes a thief.

I dubbed the salt n peppa album off a girl in primary school. I didn't even know what rap or hip hop was or that that was what that kind of music was called, haha.

The Fugees - The Score
    Will Smith - Big Willie Style
    Eminem - The Slim Shady LP
    OutKast - Stankonia
    Missy Elliott - Miss E So Addictive
    Wu-Tang Clan - The W
    Death Row Greatest Hits

Theres others I can't remember, but those are the ones that made an impression.

I think Nastradamus was my first Nas album, which is not a perfect album by any stretch but has sentimental value, I enjoy most of that record.

It was written was my first Nas album n still def my favourite of his.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    Yeah man it was crazy being into hip hop in the mid 90's in Australia. I remember at high school there were only a few people I knew of who were into it. And I mean in the whole school. Not just people I knew. That was in like 95/96. After that it started to take off.

My older brother had a friend who was into hip hop. That's how i heard NWA. Then one of my friend's sister's had snoop and warren g. Another friend had the cypress albums. N i got the PE tape at a music shop that was closing down.

My parents didn't buy me shit. Everything i got was thru people at school. Dubbed tapes. I started getting into Geto boys n shit thru my brother's mate. Then in '96 i hit the fucking jackpot when a guy from my year moved in down the street n his older sister worked at a music shop n had the best fucking cd collection imaginable, haha. She used to keep them all in shoe boxes, haha.

That was when everything coming out was amazing. I didn't even have a cd player, but i dubbed them all onto cassette. Must've used my bro's cd player to do it.

Great fucking thymes. Back when every album mattered n got plenty of attention.

Ice t power was another of my first ones too. A friend had it on cd n gave it to me cos he didn't like it, haha.

Most my own collection i started to build was just anything i could get cheap, n anything my brother's mate bought n didn't really like he'd sell to me cheap. I got niggamortis from him.

Step in the arena was another of my first ones. N it takes a thief.
    That's exactly how it was with us too. I remember a mate of mine got DMX - Flesh of my Flesh and another mate got It's Dark and Hell is Hot and then we all made copies of it on cassette. Love how it was all co-ordinated it reminds me of how when I was really young my dad and his friends would buy Amiga games then copy them for everyone so they only bought a few games but had heaps more. Then me personally I would record my favourite songs on to a tape and make my own mixtapes. We would all swap cds too make copies then bring them back to school the next day, I remember getting 40 Dayz 40 Nightz off a mate that was mindblowing.

Then you get one of the rich kids in the late 90's who had a cd burner and fast enough internet to download songs and that was a game changer, for $10 this one kid in high school would burn whatever we gave him as a list.

Sanity at Hurstville used to have this little DJ shop attached to it that had DJ equipment but it had a ton of rap and dance music. In the main Sanity you would get like Coolio, Eminem etc all the basic stuff but in this other place is where you'd get Master P, Xzibit, Ruff Ryders, All the Wu-Tang shit, Dr Dre, Snoop it was paradise. We tried to buy Restless for $25 all in shrapnel and the guy wouldn't sell it to us haha I remember once having $30 and spent like an hour deciding on what I wanted to buy, I think I bought The W that time. I distinctly remember a time where I had The W and Forever in my hand for 10 minutes trying to decide which one to buy.

Naughty By Nature - 19 Naughty Nine was another popular album it felt like everyone in my year had that CD. The day I bought Moment of Truth by GangStarr and Liquid Swords at the big HMV store in the city was monumental for me lol

I remember going to that music store underneath the George St cinema and being blown away, I wish I was old enough to have had a job so I could've bought a bunch of shit. Soul Clap was a great store for hip hop they mostly focused on underground stuff which is where I was getting stuff like Non Phixion, Necro, Immortal Technique, all the import stuff.

One of my great regrets was I swapped Regurgitator's Unit for the Marshall Mathers LP with a guy at school and I quickly grew out of Eminem by the time Eminem Show came out but I always liked the Gurge.

There was a cool simplicity to it all built connections with friends, swapping and sharing cds with each other and trying to one up people with the "listen to what I just got" When I was 18 and at my first job out of high school this guy was a bit older than me and would bring in underground rap cds for me to go home and listen to and he put me on to a whole ton of shit that I still have on a hard drive: Arsonists, Copywrite, Murs, Cage, Cunninglinguists, Company Flow, Ras Kass, Aesop Rock, 7L & Esoteric. Actually, my favourite part about Wu-Corp was always the discovery of dope music even non-hip hop I've pretty much always used this place as a way to discover music.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post
    That's exactly how it was with us too. I remember a mate of mine got DMX - Flesh of my Flesh and another mate got It's Dark and Hell is Hot and then we all made copies of it on cassette. Love how it was all co-ordinated it reminds me of how when I was really young my dad and his friends would buy Amiga games then copy them for everyone so they only bought a few games but had heaps more. Then me personally I would record my favourite songs on to a tape and make my own mixtapes. We would all swap cds too make copies then bring them back to school the next day, I remember getting 40 Dayz 40 Nightz off a mate that was mindblowing.

Then you get one of the rich kids in the late 90's who had a cd burner and fast enough internet to download songs and that was a game changer, for $10 this one kid in high school would burn whatever we gave him as a list.

Sanity at Hurstville used to have this little DJ shop attached to it that had DJ equipment but it had a ton of rap and dance music. In the main Sanity you would get like Coolio, Eminem etc all the basic stuff but in this other place is where you'd get Master P, Xzibit, Ruff Ryders, All the Wu-Tang shit, Dr Dre, Snoop it was paradise. We tried to buy Restless for $25 all in shrapnel and the guy wouldn't sell it to us haha I remember once having $30 and spent like an hour deciding on what I wanted to buy, I think I bought The W that time. I distinctly remember a time where I had The W and Forever in my hand for 10 minutes trying to decide which one to buy.

Naughty By Nature - 19 Naughty Nine was another popular album it felt like everyone in my year had that CD. The day I bought Moment of Truth by GangStarr and Liquid Swords at the big HMV store in the city was monumental for me lol

I remember going to that music store underneath the George St cinema and being blown away, I wish I was old enough to have had a job so I could've bought a bunch of shit. Soul Clap was a great store for hip hop they mostly focused on underground stuff which is where I was getting stuff like Non Phixion, Necro, Immortal Technique, all the import stuff.

One of my great regrets was I swapped Regurgitator's Unit for the Marshall Mathers LP with a guy at school and I quickly grew out of Eminem by the time Eminem Show came out but I always liked the Gurge.

There was a cool simplicity to it all built connections with friends, swapping and sharing cds with each other and trying to one up people with the "listen to what I just got" When I was 18 and at my first job out of high school this guy was a bit older than me and would bring in underground rap cds for me to go home and listen to and he put me on to a whole ton of shit that I still have on a hard drive: Arsonists, Copywrite, Murs, Cage, Cunninglinguists, Company Flow, Ras Kass, Aesop Rock, 7L & Esoteric. Actually, my favourite part about Wu-Corp was always the discovery of dope music even non-hip hop I've pretty much always used this place as a way to discover music.
    zu lange nicht gelesen

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    Yeah man it was crazy being into hip hop in the mid 90's in Australia.

There was still a lot of stuff going around at the time. I heard NWA, Gravediggaz, Wu tang Clan, Redman, Cypress Hill ect in the 90’s

nada ignorante

Shits funny man. When I was 14 i couldnt afford nothing myself, my parents would never buy me a rap album. So the first rap album I had officially bought was Bone Thugs - E1999 and Coolios debut album I got it from my cousin
    N.I.

36 chambers and Enta da stage