Thread: Do wonky accents throw you off when you watch a show or movie?

Default Do wonky accents throw you off when you watch a show or movie?

Too lazy to look up if wonky is a real word

accent : I mean dialect

So I was watching this crappy show 'Salvation' with the amazing John Noble. In S1 he has a British 'nobility' accent, or so it is identified in reviews. To me it sounds like the exact same accent he was using on 'Fringe', where I now find out he was supposed to be portraying an American (?). Same accent again he was using as Sherlock Holmes' father in that show with Lucy Liu

S2 of 'Salvation' Noble switches in and out of cockney and only half his lines sound 'nobility'. also, to me his cockney sounds Aussie. totally ruins every scene he's in

Come to find out the guy is Aussie.

Any actors you think do good British/American/Aussie accents?

I was just reading this https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/482...-accent/page/1
    Retired.

Peace CT

The accent in “Moon Knight” can be a little tough to follow. So for me yeah sometimes I am thrown off or annoyed. Peace

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

I know the accents definitely threw people off on Eminem's Relapse

The ABBOTT

Idris alba, American accent is good. I had to know idea when first watching the Wire he was from UK.

In the link I included someone said Dominic West (McNulty, The Wire) really fumbled his accent a lot. Granted I only ever watched a season and a half so far (shame on me) but I hadn't noticed this at all. did any of you?
    Retired.

Sean Connery is probably the most guilty. American = scottish, english = scottish, russian = scottish. Liam Neeson and Gerard Butler do the same thing, they think they're doing accents but its just their regular voice.

It generally doesn't bother me unless the acting is also bad. If the acting is good, a wonky accent is easy to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    In the link I included someone said Dominic West (McNulty, The Wire) really fumbled his accent a lot. Granted I only ever watched a season and a half so far (shame on me) but I hadn't noticed this at all. did any of you?
    If he ever slipped it was barely noticeable. Thats one of the greatest TV character performances of all time imo. Shocking that you didn't watch it yet.

Lennie James does a solid american accent on shows like The walking dead(also Andrew Lincoln) and Jericho. I wouldn't have known that he was british. It's odd hearing his normal accent on the shows Save me and Line of duty. I use CC for some british and other foreign accents. Not just cause ones can be hard to understand, there are some words that no one in the US uses, or very rarely. I mentioned the british here too.

https://wutangcorp.com/forum/showthr...light=accents3