Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: E.T. Musk buys Twitter

There is a lot to say about virtual reality (+AR, MR, XR), web 3.0, web 3d, Web3, meta verse. I actually found a bachelor paper about Second Life that was already pointing out that it was going to be hard to define what the meta verse was or was going to be. Because basically we are talking about all those things I mentioned right now. And with the name change of Facebook, nobody really wants to touch it anymore. Apple said as much in a recent talk with the WSJ. They are now introducing Apple Reality.

What you should not forget, time and time again, is that the Quest came from Occulus. Facebook, like Instagram & Whatsapp, bought the company. So the origins of this whole endeavour is not even theirs. But as far as I have heard, they did have a killer device with the last iterations. Gamers and developers were quite happy with the budget option. It also worked a bit without a PC. Now there last version is not having the same welcome. It is way more expensive because they are aiming for a more high end device. According to The Verge it falls short of that: https://www.theverge.com/23451629/me...horizon-review

Yesterday I also came across this story: Meta Stock Jumps After False Report Mark Zuckerberg Was Planning to Step Down. So the story was fake and just a rumor, and maybe a 1% jump might not be a reaction to this story. Still, there could be some ground that this was a reaction to his stay at the company.

By the way, I am quite surprised Twitter is still running. Saw a lot of people leaving to Mastodon, and people posting complete The Fast & The Furious films on Twitter. So it was a bit of a wild west. On the other hand people were posting pictures of Musk in house with his engineers. Which were probably all there because they could not leave due to visa issues, and their boss making them stay.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

I don't get the whole VR thing. I guess at some point it will become popular, but maybe it needs to be properly realistic first. Right now it seems like a non starter.

Apparently the investors aren't feeling Zucks push either.
    https://nypost.com/2022/10/31/big-me...etaverse-push/

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    I don't get the whole VR thing. I guess at some point it will become popular, but maybe it needs to be properly realistic first. Right now it seems like a non starter.
    It'll never be popular bruh lol. Ever. Maybe augmented but not vr and especially not a head set. They've been trying to push the idea for 30 years now and it never catches on. Off rip the shiit is deeply uncool and ppl don't love the internet and fake shit that much

Seems Elon Musk finally followed up on that promise to do a second release of documents from Twitter. From what I gather, it seems to be more and more a narrative he wants to push, rather than the transparency he is advocating. With the lack of sharing the information with more people, as happened with the New York Post and the non-sharing of the laptop to verify it, no conclusions can be drawn from this in regard to a bias within Twitter. For that we need to see everything. Who are the people affected, and was a group disproportionally affected, and was this out of line with their policy.

Twitter’s former head of product, Kayvon Beykpour, said Weiss’ framing of the blacklists was “deliberately misleading.” His response provides the best illumination in the debate over how to interpret the second Twitter Files dispatch: “We never denied de-amplifying things… you are characterizing any de-amplification as equating to shadow banning which is either a lazy interpretation or deliberately misleading. De-amplification is obviously necessary and even Elon himself believes so.”
    Elon himself does believe so. Beykpour quote-tweeted a Dec. 2 announcement from the Twitter CEO reading, “Freedom of speech is not freedom of reach.”
    https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-twitte...ban-1849876635

For a decade, companies like Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook have performed an elaborate dance to keep the details of their moderation processes equally out of reach of bad actors, regulators, and the press.
    To reveal too much would be to expose the processes to abuse by spammers and scammers (who indeed take advantage of every leaked or published detail), while to reveal too little leads to damaging reports and rumors as they lose control over the narrative. Meanwhile, they must be ready to justify and document their methods or risk censure and fines from government bodies.

The result is that while everyone knows a little about how exactly these companies inspect, filter, and arrange the content posted on their platforms, it’s just enough to be sure that what we’re seeing is only the tip of the iceberg.
    https://techcrunch.com/2022/12/09/mu...of-moderation/
    Techcrunch hits it home here. Because moderation has become hell. It is a process that takes a lot of conversations and policy moderation even, because new things keep popping up. Just making it public would make it very easy for bad actors to misuse. For example with Facebook & their pages. If they would say you need 100 likes, 69 posts, and 420 comments for a verification of the page, you could just use a bot army to get this done. An automated system would check, and approve probably. Yet everything would be fake and inaunthentic. Users would also thing it would be a trustworthy page, but it is just some scammer with a fake website running ads to get money.

Elon Musk talks a lot of shit, but so far he has not managed to follow up on any of it in my eyes. Au contraire. He just shows he is now ruling more with his own bias by selectively releasing documents to a selection of the people he likes. These are not the Panama or Paradise papers.

Seems the Trump thing is now evolving & a wikipedia feud.

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Ironically, Elon is one of the dullest tweeters I've seen.
    Yeah, but he's got SpaceX. I don't know why Elon likes to take all the credit. He's not an Aerospace Engineer.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

I know I started this thread but people seem to get too invested in this stuff. So he's got Twitter. He's acting out. He's probably got some strategy in mind tgat may or may not work. Let him do as he pleases. Obviously the guy is stir crazy, pretty much on a Ye level.

If you're on Twitter in 2022 IDK what to say. It's almost as bad as having around 25,000 posts on WuCorp.
    Retired.

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Jones View Post
    I know I started this thread but people seem to get too invested in this stuff. So he's got Twitter. He's acting out. He's probably got some strategy in mind tgat may or may not work. Let him do as he pleases. Obviously the guy is stir crazy, pretty much on a Ye level.

If you're on Twitter in 2022 IDK what to say. It's almost as bad as having around 25,000 posts on WuCorp.
    I only have Facebook, and I barely login.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty