Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What’s the story behind ODB’s last recorded A Son Unique?

Default What’s the story behind ODB’s last recorded A Son Unique?

What’s up,

Was just wondering what was the story behind the unreleased album A Son Unique?

I know there’s a “Official” tracklist, but there are some dope songs like Wasted Time, Coochie Bangin’ featuring Ludacris which were not included in the tracklist.
    Some songs ended up on Osirus Mixtape, now i was wondering if that “Official” tracklist was done before ODB passed away or after?

There’s no really info about this in the net.

Quote Originally Posted by MakCorleone View Post
    What’s up,

Was just wondering what was the story behind the unreleased album A Son Unique?

I know there’s a “Official” tracklist, but there are some dope songs like Wasted Time, Coochie Bangin’ featuring Ludacris which were not included in the tracklist.
    Some songs ended up on Osirus Mixtape, now i was wondering if that “Official” tracklist was done before ODB passed away or after?

There’s no really info about this in the net.
    We didn't have enough unreleased tape to string together a coherent ODB album. That nigga wasn't Tupac, so we have to get more creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorr View Post
    We didn't have enough unreleased tape to string together a coherent ODB album. That nigga wasn't Tupac, so we have to get more creative.
    That’s true, but he had enough material imo to complete the album, got some songs with Rhymefest.
    ODB had a decent run with collabo’s during his last year.

Well, out of all those sessions, Dirt actually got himself some good/decent songs. Like "Pop Shots", "Operator", "Back in the air" and "Intoxicated".
    Shit, I just listened to "Intoxicated" the other day, it aged nice.

The problem is, Dirt kinda lost his crazy/genius spark, the same spark that energized the whole Wu around 36 chambers. I guess life and those institutions took its toll on the free spirit that he was. RIP Ason.
    -----> Check Rev. William Burks aka Chuuuch "Nigowkno", "Runnit" and "Ganja"
    -----> KAMi Genesis, vol1, vol2 and vol3- beat tapes
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/48z4...QcWWL0Pat0qEDQ

A Son Unique was done, and actually was released to store shelves. Shortly thereafter, it got pulled because of a disagreement between Dirty's estate and Roc-A-Fella. This has continued for years, and I believe the album still has not really been officially released. Or have they done an official release.

Besides these tracks, I think there are maybe two or three tracks floating around on an unreleased EP. One of which is Wasting Time No More. That is actually one of the better songs of all of them.

There is an interview with RZA from 5-8 years ago I think. In it he speaks about Dirty verses. Everything seems to be released by now, and there are no more unreleased recordings. RZA did say he had a stack of recording of ODB just talking in the studio. This actually sounded pretty interesting to me. Especially if you take into account that RZA released a meditation EP in the last 2 years. He could actually do the same for ODB now.

But I think it will be pretty hard to pull anything of with that since there is a lot of control from the estate.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

Veteran Member

This actually leaked a long time ago. I'm pretty sure I've seen that someone on the forum has a copy
    Last edited by hiphopjunky; 05-19-2022 at 06:59 PM.

Eastern village

Odbs estate is the people holding hes music. Sadly I dont think well see that album. And to whoever who said they got it, remember he died in the studio while recording it. If they would release something it would proba ly just be studio left overs sorry to say.

https://wutangcorp.com/forum/showthr...t=A+Son+UNique

As you can see in the thread above, the album was released. It is not left overs. It is what he recorded before his death. The fact that he was in the studio again, does not mean it was not finished.

Veteran Member

^^^that's exactly what I was recalling

Eastern village

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Set View Post
    https://wutangcorp.com/forum/showthr...t=A+Son+UNique

As you can see in the thread above, the album was released. It is not left overs. It is what he recorded before his death. The fact that he was in the studio again, does not mean it was not finished.
    Well its a son but not the real one that we should have got. Odbs estate sits on that one. This is a i dont know record. It feels like a bootleg to me.

PRODIGAL SUN

Most the tracks were written by royal flush

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

This is true, when I met him a few years ago, he confirmed that��

For real? I believe it is one of the documentaries from around that time, where you can see RZA feeding Dirt verses. He clearly did not have any material at that point. Also did not look like he was in writing mode.

Who is Royal flush exactly, never heard of him?

Ghetto Millionaire (1997) is a good album by Royal Flush, it has 'semi classic' status. He collabo'ed with Mic Geronimo quite a bit. Let's just say it's a decent Eastcoast album from that period.

He's from Queens
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 05-23-2022 at 11:50 PM.
    Retired.