Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rock Q&A

There isn't really such a thing as mainstream rock after like 2007ish. Like you say, theres acts like Coldplay, but theres no pretence of them being rock at this point.

Bands that started before that point still have big live followings, but don't sell records.

Banned

So rock music isn’t the dominant radio station tune so that means it’s dead? jazz must be dead too.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post
    So rock music isn’t the dominant radio station tune so that means it’s dead? jazz must be dead too.
    Well we could argue over semantics or philosophy of art instead, but the fact is its not important to pop culture like it once was. You probably understand what I'm saying and are just being obtuse because you like arguing.

There are still good jazz acts, and there are probably a few new good rock bands about, which is nice on an individual level, but meaningless in terms of the direction of popular music.

Banned

That's a completely different discussion from "rock is dead" then.

"Rock n Roll" probably hasn't been the dominant force in popular music since the late 1970s and arguably was at its peak from the mid 1950s to the late 1960s

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Nah its dead, it legit sucks now. Rock acts were still hugely popular through the 80s and 90s. Something happened. I would say its a combination of different things but I'm interested what you and others think.

Banned

Okay rock is dead, RIP

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

the latter was a good spirited response song (kravitz & prince were friends) and is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, nice funk touches in there esp in the second half. I also love the guitar part from 04:05 onward. this song dates back to a long period I was heavily involved in Prince music, buying tons of bootlegs too and seeing a concert once in a while.
    Retired.

The ABBOTT

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Nah its dead, it legit sucks now. Rock acts were still hugely popular through the 80s and 90s. Something happened. I would say its a combination of different things but I'm interested what you and others think.
    I don't follow rock music t6o closely and this may be a small aspect. I have noticed, that most vocal leads now a days seem be actual good singers and all sound similar. It seems like in the past the front man was more about being an entertainer and having a sound unique to them.

^ Yeah they were superstars.

I think another thing is electronic music was able to innovate and change faster. Its not like rock music can't come back to the mainstream but it has to be something that doesn't sound old or like pop.

In recent years I really love Temples who are prog/psych and Paris, Texas who are probably the best rap/rock group I've heard.

Any other new rock groups that are good?

theres still alot of dope underground metal acts, like hip hop

The ABBOTT

I have seen a few interviews. One that comes to a mind is by Henry Rollins. But also on a recent podcast by a lesser known rock artist. Which call out U2 as being bad musicians. As someone who doesn't play, are the really that bad? I like some of their earlier work. What in particular makes them suck?

Quote Originally Posted by b-dolo View Post
    I have seen a few interviews. One that comes to a mind is by Henry Rollins. But also on a recent podcast by a lesser known rock artist. Which call out U2 as being bad musicians. As someone who doesn't play, are the really that bad? I like some of their earlier work. What in particular makes them suck?
    I think theres a certain amount of jealousy/snobbery from other musicians, especially looking at the amount of success U2 have had. They aren't bad players, but also definitely not virtuosos. Their recent album where they strip back a selection of songs is a good example, they can play but they don't play anything very difficult. They rely a lot on studiocraft, effects and songwriting, which is fine because they do that stuff better than most bands.

Also Rollins is like the proto incel, I'm not sure I'd trust his opinion.

The ABBOTT

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    I think theres a certain amount of jealousy/snobbery from other musicians, especially looking at the amount of success U2 have had. They aren't bad players, but also definitely not virtuosos. Their recent album where they strip back a selection of songs is a good example, they can play but they don't play anything very difficult. They rely a lot on studiocraft, effects and songwriting, which is fine because they do that stuff better than most bands.

Also Rollins is like the proto incel, I'm not sure I'd trust his opinion.
    Understood. Great reply

U2 fell out of favor with the critics and some colleagues in music but essentially they are still the same band and before. some of their 80s and 90s output remains golden to this day

they took a huge hit publicity wise when tgat album of theirs was included for free on iTunes for new Apples or whatever it was

'But but but I don't want this U2-album in my collection!' a lot of crying over nothing
    Retired.