Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rock Q&A

In regards to OP : I finally received the album from Austria. Slash's first would have made a more than solid G N R album. The singer on there is okay, replace him with Axl and you have a ready to go G N R album. The lyrics are there and so are the instrumentals. Predictably good riffs obviously.

I should compare this one to Chinese Democracy by playing them back to back to find out which one sounds the most vintage G N R. Nice lil project for later on this week.
    Retired.

paul is dead

Quote Originally Posted by b-dolo View Post
    Yoko getting her mic turned off.
    good thing they did that

The ABBOTT

Who is considered the best rock bands of the 70s? I know of the bands who were the most popular. Zeppelin, Doors, Who, Sabbath. Etc. But that doesn't necessarily equate to being the best musicians/lyricist. I'm thinking on the lines of raps golden era, when the most recognized artists are not always considered to be the favorite among purest.

https://www.musicgrotto.com/70s-rock-bands/

pretty good list imo, it has all the big names, in various rock genres, and the list is not too long

I often dive into '100 best bands (seventies)' type lists to discover stuff that's new to me, but the linked list above has the bands that really matter
    Retired.

Banned

Led Zeppelin at 1 is an immediate fail. I'm not a big AC/DC fan but there's no way there aren't on the list especially when bands like Joy Division who only released 2 albums in total and only one was in the 70s are on there. Santana is way too high they should be a top 10.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Yeah the numbers are off but the names are a good bunch.

I guess Joy Division is there because of their 'influence' on a genre IDK
    Retired.

Banned

I didn’t realise bdolo was asking for band suggestions. I like Joy Division fwiw

For me the best band of the 1970s are Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath but I think a best bands from 1966-1976 is a more interesting discussion because a lot of greatness was released at the end of the 1960s and some bands like The Doors, Velvet Underground, Grateful Dead did their best work in the 1960s and garage/psych/prog is better than punk, new wave and glam rock.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Banned

When did what die?

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

grateful deads best work was in 70s actually, well thats my opinion

Default europe live 72 my favorite album by them

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post
    When did what die?
    Rock music. It was the biggest thing besides pop from the 50s until the 90s or maybe early 2000s. Now its niche music, rarely innovative or popular and mostly aping previous decades or trying to keep up with pop trends.

Grunge sped up the process of separating classic rock/hair metal/metal from alt rock, a process that had been started by punk earlier on I think

I am totally out of the loop with current mainstream rock, anything after say 2000

I don't know if rock died. maybe?
    Retired.

There's probably people out there who think when they buy a Coldplay album they're listening to rock. lol
    Retired.