Thread: Albums you like by an artist more than their most popular ones

Banned

Default Albums you like by an artist more than their most popular ones

I was reading an old Miles Davis favourite albums thread and I don't think I saw one person name 'Round About Midnight which to me is on par with Kind of Blue and I believe was the second official album released by the original Miles Davis Quintet of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones which obviously increased to a sextet when the legend Cannonball Adderlay got added to the group before Kind of Blue was released.

I was just surprised that such a great album didn't get any love from people and even best of/compilation albums were getting the nod over this release.

Another one for me is Funkadelic's Hardcore Jollies, I would listen to that over some of their more popular releases for sure that's a top 3 favourite album for mine.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Round About Midnight is great.

I will get back to this thread, I'm away for 2 days.
    Retired.

I think Round About Midnight is well loved, just doesn't get the attention as it came right after Birth Of The Cool. Its like Infamous & Hell On Earth.

Off the top of my head:

Wu-Tang Clan - 8 Diagrams
    U2 - Zooropa
    David Bowie - Black Tie, White Noise
    Parliament - Gloryhallastupid & Trombipulation
    Arctic Monkeys - Tranquility Base (maybe its not underrated, but I just started listening to it and its fire)

My biggest one would have to be R.E.M. - Up. It's my favorite album of theirs.

Also I love the first 2 Oasis album, but my favourite is quite possibly 'Don't Believe The Truth', and I love 'Dig Out Your Soul' too, tho it's a shame it ends with 3 pretty average tracks.

I definitely have more, but can't think of them right now.

Btw, 'Bitches Brew' is by a fucking mile my favourite Miles Davis album, n jazz album as a whole, but I think it's pretty highly regarded.

Banned

It's funny you mentioned Bitches Brew because that was the other example I was going to give and how I would prefer to listen to In A Silent Way for electric Miles but I haven't heard either in a long time so I wasn't going to definitively say which was better.

On the flip side Sketches of Spain was probably the third most common reply for favourite Miles Davis albums behind Kind of Blues and Bitches Brew and that's an album I have never been able to get in to.

Amigos by Santana and Fat Albert Rotunda by Herbie Hancock are a couple of other favourites I prefer to some of their bigger hitters amongst fans
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

I wouldn't say I like One Hot Minute *more* than Blood Sugar Sex Magik and at first I found it a pretty difficult album to dig, but truth be told over the years I have come to appreciate Red Hot Chili Peppers' One Hot Minute a lot

I know fans hate the album with a passion except maybe for Aeroplane and that even RHCP distance themselves from the album but hey the album is pretty good, if dark. and yes Navarro and Frusciante are miles apart but both have their own style and I like Navarro for what he brings to the table

hm this post gives me the urge to go back and buy these albums again but maybe just wait till next month after copping all those Faith No More albums lol
    Retired.

I was listening to R.E.M. - Around the Sun, the other day. Hadn't heard it in years cos for some fucking reason it disappeared from my mp3 player library n I kept forgetting to put it back in there.

That album got fucking SLAMMED when it came out. My word what a great album tho. I loved it then n I love it now. Absolutely fucking outrageous the shit they copped for that album. One of my fave of their albums.

I remember Michael Stipe said he would defend the songs on that album until the day he dies. I'm with him on that.