Thread: Kelis VS Pharrell, Chad & Beyonce

Default Kelis VS Pharrell, Chad & Beyonce

https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.72117/t...s-a-direct-hit

damn lol

'Chad is a spineless amoeba' ahahaaah

the music business is a shady industry, no surprises there, I wouldn't put it past The Neptunes

you've got Mase complaining about Diddy, then Fivio Foreign (never heard a song by dude) complaining about the exact same thing about Mase

they're all using each other lol. they see how they get fucked over and then some of them use the same tactics with newcomers trying to get some of 'their own' money back
    Retired.

You never really know who's right in situations like this. She says their attitude is ”you signed the contract” but if she was truthfully under the impression that they would split it equally, then its foul and she was tricked.

That being said, I think a lot of artists basically don't care at the start of their careers. They trade their publishing for the exposure and credibility of getting signed. Once they have a career they look back and suddenly think they got fucked.

I don't think she necessarily got fucked over, but she should be able to renegotiate, or Pharrell & Chad should be decent enough to just do it.

And yeah she should have been kept in the loop by Pharrell about the sample. Kelis' early albums are fantastic, all credit due to her & The Neptunes. I haven't heard the new Beyonce, never was really a fan.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

I was in F.Y.E. about an hour ago and was checking out her new c.d. Renaissance on the shelf. I checked Mister Morale And The Big Steppers also, but ended up copping Pusha T's It's Almost Dry.

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    You never really know who's right in situations like this. She says their attitude is ”you signed the contract” but if she was truthfully under the impression that they would split it equally, then its foul and she was tricked.

That being said, I think a lot of artists basically don't care at the start of their careers. They trade their publishing for the exposure and credibility of getting signed. Once they have a career they look back and suddenly think they got fucked.

I don't think she necessarily got fucked over, but she should be able to renegotiate, or Pharrell & Chad should be decent enough to just do it.

And yeah she should have been kept in the loop by Pharrell about the sample. Kelis' early albums are fantastic, all credit due to her & The Neptunes. I haven't heard the new Beyonce, never was really a fan.
    Agreed. You'd think people would be decent and straight the first time a contract is produced but they want to test the waters by submitting a shady deal. Let's say Kelis brought a lawyer with her to the contract signing. The Neptunes could've been decent people because it's good business.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Beyonce has removed the Kelis sample (I think it was 'Milkshake') from the album version
    Retired.

”Still craps and lies” Andy Warhov's Avatar

Beyonce one of those girls that gotta work to stay slim. Kelis better looking imho

{>____<}

Hmm. It appears that Kelis was wrong here. Beyonce tried to do her a favor. Kelis would've received royalties by being credited on Beyonce's album. Kelis jumped the gun with her shitty emotions and now she won't receive a penny.

Kelis is not the most stable person out there, that's for sure lol.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post

It's a bit fucked up that the contract that you signed decades ago is never up for renegotiation. Because a lot of that bullshit, would have been fixed with that. And a lot of the problems also stem from these indefinite contracts people have signed when they just started out. Chad & Pharrell should have signed them back, in my opinion. Or put a fairer deal on the table. It is not like they need these records to get by nowadays.

The whole thing with Mase & Fivio is surreal. Pastor Mase is basically Diddying Fivio, while complaining about the shit Diddy did to him. Even when he in the past called out Kanye about his contract and some shit.

Btw, would Kelis have gotten paid? Would her contract allowed for that? Or does this just stem from her not being asked and it being Pharrell that used the sample.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

Veteran Member

I don't ever recall either of the Neptunes having beef with anyone or being on anyone's bad side...ever

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

It is possible that they have done tons of fuck shit behind the scenes and nobody wants to speak up about it because they have a lot of clout and can have people black balled. That is why it took so long for Harvey Weinstein to get taken down

I don't think the music industry is 'shady'. I think musicians are very, very obtuse and more motivated by fame than money. This creates a situation where, unlike any industry on earth, people regularly sign slave contracts without reading them despite decades of artists telling horror stories.

They will sell you their song, you release it and get rich, then they get mad at you even though they sold it and collected the money and were made abundantly aware of the transaction.

Look at Kelis' situation. Beyonce gave her writers credit for the first time in her career on that specific song (biggest hit she's ever had). First time she can get paid for it. Mind you
    1. She legally doesn't deserve the credits cause it's not her song
    2. Beyonce's song will outstream 'Milkshake'

what does she do? Clout fight on live to fight beyonce. Believe it or not, seeming to have conflict w/ beyonce is a bigger reward for her than getting money for the song and succeeding financially. This is the type of person that will now say Beyonce is shady. I've looked into every 'shady record contract' situation you can think of and it's always someone offering slavery and another person saying yes emphatically.

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    I don't think the music industry is 'shady'. I think musicians are very, very obtuse and more motivated by fame than money. This creates a situation where, unlike any industry on earth, people regularly sign slave contracts without reading them despite decades of artists telling horror stories.

They will sell you their song, you release it and get rich, then they get mad at you even though they sold it and collected the money and were made abundantly aware of the transaction.

Look at Kelis' situation. Beyonce gave her writers credit for the first time in her career on that specific song (biggest hit she's ever had). First time she can get paid for it. Mind you

what does she do? Clout fight on live to fight beyonce. Believe it or not, seeming to have conflict w/ beyonce is a bigger reward for her than getting money for the song and succeeding financially. This is the type of person that will now say Beyonce is shady. I've looked into every 'shady record contract' situation you can think of and it's always someone offering slavery and another person saying yes emphatically.
    Good post! Then again, Kelis has a farm, I think, but is she making money from that? Kelis would gotten a check but her emotions got in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post

If she got writers credit, it does not make sense indeed. She would have been paid, and this would probably have been a better revenue stream than the Neptunes one she has. So why sabotage it? Is that really the ego clash with Pharrell? Or did she just want to expose the contract thing?
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997