Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... was released on this day 27 years ago

Banned

Default Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... was released on this day 27 years ago

Where is the homie David Daniel Davis to start this thread?

1/8/1995 Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... was released, the iconic purple tape

The GOAT hip hop album, the best Wu-Tang album and the best RZA production and dare I say the greatest Nas verse of all time too.

Reminisce about the album, what's your favourite song? Favourite beat? When did you first hear it? Do you have the purple tape?
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

let's cut the pie five ways ...

you sang so beautifully just now ...

I bought this the year it came out. never had the OG purple tape. btw I think OBVCL2, the follow up, is the last album to get major coverage (thread upon thread upon thread in anticipation and in reviews) on WuCorp. And all that hype was built on the original album, a perfect hip hop album
    Retired.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

I usually only do the anniversaries every five years that end with a five or a zero..

Peace CT

I still have OG purple tape. Got it from Strawberries. Wu-Gambinos is a top 5 Wu track. Peace

Banned

Did you have the purple tape from when it was released or bought it later in life as a collector? Someone bought it on discogs on 1/8 for $126USD

@Hal, yeah the hype for OB4CL2 was unreal on here but there was a lot of negativity and criticism leading up to it too but that mostly got smashed when it was released, I seem to recall people not feeling criminology 2 when that came out and of course a Wu Corper even did the album cover for Rae which was dope.

Quote Originally Posted by David Daniel Davis View Post
    I usually only do the anniversaries every five years that end with a five or a zero..
    I searched and you've never done one for OB4CL, I feel dirty for stealing ya style

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Haha I initially thought it was his (David Daniel Davis') thread, before I saw your name.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post
    Did you have the purple tape from when it was released or bought it later in life as a collector? Someone bought it on discogs on 1/8 for $126USD

@Hal, yeah the hype for OB4CL2 was unreal on here but there was a lot of negativity and criticism leading up to it too but that mostly got smashed when it was released, I seem to recall people not feeling criminology 2 when that came out and of course a Wu Corper even did the album cover for Rae which was dope.

I searched and you've never done one for OB4CL, I feel dirty for stealing ya style
    No animosity, anybody can do anniversary threads. I would not feel some type of way about it.

nada ignorante

Timeless classic. I still think Ironman is better
    N.I.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hotnikks View Post
    Timeless classic. I still think Ironman is better
    Ironman is phenomenal, RZA truly is the greatest producer IMO not just as a beatmaker but when it comes to producing entire albums as a concept and having continuity. It's also masterful how they all had a "wu-tang sound" yet sounded different from each other.

The only one comparable (off the top of my head) with RZA's string of classic after classic is Dr Dre but his contribution on the boards has been pulled in to question for a long time.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

Eastern village

Only built 4 cuban linx is a certified classic that was on heavy repeat when it came out. Is there a bad song on the album? I mean of course there is songs i like more or i like less but there is nothing that stands out like a sore thumb on this album. Still sound like it couldve been produced last year.

for those who havent heard it . its a dope listen. if anybody has side b can share that would be dope although idk if it ever was made public. peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrMRYEyuKfE

Wu-Veteran

Reminisce about the album, what's your favourite song? Favourite beat? When did you first hear it? Do you have the purple tape?
    It was the summer of 97..I was 14 years old.

I was meeting up with my homie Doug..he wanted to trade me for my Tommy Hilfiger button up shirt...he had the OB4CL CD (Without the Case)..it was no question. I'm from western Canada. There was very limited hip hop radio...I didnt have internet..and i had just gotten my first discman.

I was just getting super heavy into the Wu.

Rewind to when My homie made tapes for me in 93,94,95 from the cds he ordered from the back of those magazines
    (I think it was called Columbia or some shit).

He used to put joints from 36 chambers, the whole Tical Album (which got me Into hardcore hip hop at the age of 11), joints like How High & Fantasy by Mariah Carey (odb Remix) on em. I'd hear about wutang because of the skit at the beginning of "Method Man" ...the kids were talking about it on the bus at school..."I'll sew ya asshole closed and keep feedin u...and feedin u..and feedin u"

ODB was crazy to me. Just thugged out to the max..the definition of grimey. In 96 Ironman came out...and I remember the day it dropped...my homie Dave bought it and brought it to the spot..we were playing through it. I thought it was so fuckin dope. I was hooked on wutang. I remember thinking "how many fuckin dudes are in this group???"

I used to stay up on Friday nights from midnight to 3 or 4 am just today listen to the college radio station to hear them play Winter Warz, Daytona 500, and Camay. I recorded it on tape with my shitty tape player. I remember rewinding Capps verse over and over to memorize it.

But yea...wutang forever came out summer 97. It was nuts. I went with friends to a all ages night club where kids could go.. but could only drink pop...mixed with 18+ that would drink beer n shit. It was wild. "Triumph" came on...everyone dressed in baggy clothes...waving towels around...they played the whole song right there in the club. Ppl were going crazy. Everyone's cars driving around bumpin "its Yourz" and "For Heavenz Sake". It was crazy. So when Doug said he had Raekwon OB4CL CD for my Tommy shirt..I met up with him right away and made the deal. I played that disc so fuckin much. I was a certified Wu Head. Kept up with every release ever since. Shit..I even became an MC/Producer that has songs with Meth, Ghost, Deck and Priest..toured/Partied with them...shits a trip forreal.
    OB4CL. Such a classic. Between that, Forever, Liquid Swords, Ironman, 36, Tical, & Supreme...its tough to pick a fav. I just know I gotta get Rae to sign my oB4CL purple tape box set book..got RZa and Ghost so far...Rae gotta sign this shit for completion!! Anyways..dope thread. PEACE

nada ignorante

Thats a dope story man. Gotta miss those days with no internet.

Wu-Veteran

Thank you. Yes those were the days. Crazy how much has changed since