Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Respectfully, Ironman >>> Supreme Clientele

Default Respectfully, Ironman >>> Supreme Clientele

After listening to both about 400 times each, Ironman is the clear standout. Supreme Clientele is more refined and focused. It's like a concentrate of everything that makes Ironman good and some shit that doesn't exist anywhere else in music. I can objectively say Supreme started a sub genre in rap.

But man, Ironman is on another fucking level bruh. Production is better, Iron Maiden is a fucking movie. The transition between 260 and Assassination Day, Fish, Soul Controller? These joints have no peer my nigga.

As far as Lyrics, if someone said lyrics peaked between Ironman and Wu-tang Forever genre wide, an argument could be made. Idk what was going on in the studio sessions but everyone was rapping their fucking ass off. It seems that members tend to show the fuck up for Ghost albums.

I think the general consensus is Supreme is better but I don't see it. At a point I could have picked either.

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    After listening to both about 400 times each, Ironman is the clear standout. Supreme Clientele is more refined and focused. It's like a concentrate of everything that makes Ironman good and some shit that doesn't exist anywhere else in music. I can objectively say Supreme started a sub genre in rap.

But man, Ironman is on another fucking level bruh. Production is better, Iron Maiden is a fucking movie. The transition between 260 and Assassination Day, Fish, Soul Controller? These joints have no peer my nigga.

As far as Lyrics, if someone said lyrics peaked between Ironman and Wu-tang Forever genre wide, an argument could be made. Idk what was going on in the studio sessions but everyone was rapping their fucking ass off. It seems that members tend to show the fuck up for Ghost albums.

I think the general consensus is Supreme is better but I don't see it. At a point I could have picked either.
    Not much to argue i feel same way. Funny thing is this past weekend i loaded up the Ironman instrumentals to my mp3 player i use in the car and at work. I fall asleep to those instrumentals . Fuxn Rza was killing it with those first solo joints !!

Banned

I've never understood how SC > Ironman was even up for debate when Ironman is the clear winner. I've never felt the debate was between Ironman and Supreme Clientele to me it is Ironman vs Liquid Swords and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, I lean slightly to the latter these days but I went through a period where Ironman was the top Wu-Tang solo.

Raekwon totally destroyed The Faster Blade as well that's gotta be one of RZA's all time best ever beats that never gets a mention on a list of his best beats, I don't see how Ironman isn't a 5mic classic there is not one skippable moment on the album at all. The run of After The Smoke Is Clear, All That I Got Is You and The Soul Controller is great with the R&B vibes. I like how the album shows a lot of vulnerability too.

RZA was at his peak in 95-97 and Ironman is another nod to his greatness, flawless from start to finish this should have got 5 mics.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

From the 1st round of solo albums, 'Ironman' is the one I play most after all these years (sorry Uey ahahaaah), while back in the day I used to play 'Ironman' about as much as 'Only...' and the clear winner in terms of number of plays was 'Liquid Swords'.

To me, because the album is non thematic, it has become the most accessible one out of the first round over the years. Like, you gotta be feeling very 'wutangey' (TM pending) to play 'LS' in full - that is, to me.

Now on 'Supreme Clientele'. This used to be my ALL TIME fav solo album, nr one because of the abstract lyrics (more surreal than on 'Ironman', at least to me) and it's also definitely an emo thing with me because 'SC' brought the Wu back after some solos dropped that didn't have that instant classic vibe and where the Wu/RZA sound was missing. (Here's looking at you 'Golden Arms Redemption' and 'Immobilarity')

Because I have listened SO MUCH to 'SC' over the years, 'Ironman' these days sounds fresher and 'newer' to me.

Over the years I have come to appreciate 'Ironman' more and more. Back when it dropped I remember thinking 'lol Ghost isn't even on all his own tracks wtf, the fail's on you Ghost - esp since those are some of the tracks that go the hardest', mainly because I was even dumber back then than I am now.

Anyways, yall know I have to write book length posts to try and make my point (sorry lol) but this is how my feelings towards both albums have evolved over the years and writing this, it has become clear to me, that it's a very subjective and emo thing for me, and doesn't have anything to do really with 'track by track' comparisons, or competing producers or whatever, but it's all about context (the period when the albums dropped) and my feels.

Good thread idea.
    Retired.

Stop it with the SC slander lol. I love the abstract lyrics and crisp production.

Ironman is classic but I like that Ghost sort of found his own sound on the 2nd.

”Still craps and lies” Andy Warhov's Avatar

I like supreme better. Ironman is dusty

nada ignorante

I agree.

Ironman>>>>>ob4cl

Too

nada ignorante

Ironman is like having a threesome with the finest women you ever seen.

Supreme clientele is like high speeding on cocaine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hound View Post
    I've never understood how SC > Ironman was even up for debate when Ironman is the clear winner. I've never felt the debate was between Ironman and Supreme Clientele to me it is Ironman vs Liquid Swords and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, I lean slightly to the latter these days but I went through a period where Ironman was the top Wu-Tang solo.

Raekwon totally destroyed The Faster Blade as well that's gotta be one of RZA's all time best ever beats that never gets a mention on a list of his best beats, I don't see how Ironman isn't a 5mic classic there is not one skippable moment on the album at all. The run of After The Smoke Is Clear, All That I Got Is You and The Soul Controller is great with the R&B vibes. I like how the album shows a lot of vulnerability too.

RZA was at his peak in 95-97 and Ironman is another nod to his greatness, flawless from start to finish this should have got 5 mics.
    wasn't even thinking about the faster blade, but yeah, hard time not seeing why this isn't 5 mics.. Hats off to ghost for pulling off both albums. I agree with you on Rza being at his peak in that time. And a lot of the members were at their peak too so Ironman caught all of that. Compare Cap on Ironman and Cap on Supreme for example. These days I find myself going back to Ironman and Wutang forever the most. It may change overtime but even with how well Ironman is generally received, it's somehow still underrated.

Black Jesus alone bruh

Quote Originally Posted by hotnikks View Post
    Ironman is like having a threesome with the finest women you ever seen.

Supreme clientele is like high speeding on cocaine.
    and the three women happen to be Raekwon, Ghost and Cappadonna

10/10

Peace CT

Skits on SC are trash. Not sure if that effects the debate. Glad back then I had the cassette and they actually were not on there. Peace

basically you could put Lil Scrappy on all Ironman instrumentals and the album would still sound good, that's how hardbody rza's production is

^^when u aim for lil scrappy but have to settle for jayhova
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by josborne3680 View Post
    Skits on SC are trash. Not sure if that effects the debate. Glad back then I had the cassette and they actually were not on there. Peace
    Which skit is trash?

Peace CT

Who Would u F#ck and Woodrow^. Listened once and skip after every time since for both of em. Peace