Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New RZA album "Digital Potions"

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    The record with DJ Scratch was pretty dope to me.
    same here it was pretty dope

Rev Burk is all over it
    Here's a dope track
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/bq7ll...state.mp3/file

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Rev Burk is all over it
    Here's a dope track
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/bq7ll...state.mp3/file
    thanks @Jammin. i did hear the snippets and yep Rev is all over it. idk how i feel about it yet id have to listen to the complete tracks. peace.

fresh from the kitchen CL2coming's Avatar

My (slightly drunk) review from a beach in Barbados. Listened twice. Here are my thoughts, typed live:

1. Fashion - Abstract, almost bossa nova style beat. Rza raps two verses in his new low key whisper style. Rev Burke drops a verse. Singing on the hook (don’t know who). Not as bad as the stuff on Pit of Snakes, but certainly “experimental”. It’s a song about fashion… but pretty off kilter. Raw in its own strange way.
    2. Better than yours - Another experimental beat. Rza sounds less sleepy on this. A brief Burke verse (he’s on 5 of the 7 tracks). “My whip bigger than yoooour whip…. My clip fuller than yoooour clip…” etc etc.
    3. Garden state - Ok, this is more like it. Beat is kinda nice. The only non-Rza beat on the project (produced by a guy called Core Mason). Kinda laid back. Sample sounds like Delfonics but can’t quite put my finger on it. Rza and Burke drop two verses each and a hook. I think.
    4. Flagrant flavours - Doesn’t sound like a Rza beat. Sounds ok though. Kinda modern sounding but with a haunting choir / humming that gives it a slightly eerie feel. Rza drops a verse. Hook by Dontius (who?) and then Burke drops. Pretty short track. Sounds like a soundtrack throwaway. But not bad.
    5. Rain on em - Burke starts this one off. It’s a “digital” beat but kinda minimalist and knocks a little. I don’t hate it. Beat wouldn’t sound too out of place on “In Stereo” (except for some double time drum n bass style percussion trills). Burke does a faux Caribbean accent on the “hook”.
    6. Attack of the Lioness - A slow / low key one… Rza rapping about a woman. No Burke on this. Reminds me of Love is Digi pt 2.
    7. Don’t Cry On My Shoulders - YDB gets a feature credit but he just says “don’t cry on my shoulder bitch” on the intro. No verse. Beat has a bounce similar to Domestic Violence Pt 2 (sort of) but then builds with some nasty digital horn/synth sounds. It’s different but it almost works (again, if you’re ok with experimental Rza and don’t expect the classic Wu sound).

In a nutshell: I don’t hate it. It’s abstract Rza for sure. And it doesn’t come close to In Stereo or Digital Bullet. More Digi Snacks. Definitely better than Pit of Snakes. Probably not as good as the Saturday Afternoon Kung Fu Theatre Scratch project.

Will it sound the same without rum? Time will tell.

I expect most people here won’t like it.

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

Where can we hear this and the Bugsy album?

Peace CT

Bugsy and Dom music usually strictly Bandcamp no? My physical arrived yesterday. Peace

both albums are on apple music
    -- Still here --

Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    both albums are on apple music
    you have a link to the digital potions ep on apple music ?

This Garden State track is hard

Quote Originally Posted by Cilvaringz View Post
    Where can we hear this and the Bugsy album?
    https://napalmmusic.bandcamp.com/alb...worlds-collide
    It should also be available on Spotify and Deezer. I found it on Deezer. Also have the download.

Is there anyone that could hook me up with Digital Potions? bududu
    -edit- Just noticed the LP is outfitted with a download card
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

Eastern village

Ordered my copy. Its limited to 3000 copys. Will save it in my vinyl collection Im building up for my son. Got a bunch mint records that i wont touch. Like Prince 1999 super deluxe edition on vinyl in the fabric plastic.

Shaolin Master

Yo garden state is actually good. Where can we hear the rest of the album?

fresh from the kitchen CL2coming's Avatar

There is a download link with vinyl. But the album has also been leaked on Reddit.

This isn’t a “wu” project, but if you like modern Kool Keith albums (that’s probably the best comparison I can think of) then there is some stuff on here for you. If you’re a wu die hard and only tolerate mid 90s wu - then this project should be a hard pass.

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CL2coming View Post
    There is a download link with vinyl. But the album has also been leaked on Reddit.

This isn’t a “wu” project, but if you like modern Kool Keith albums (that’s probably the best comparison I can think of) then there is some stuff on here for you. If you’re a wu die hard and only tolerate mid 90s wu - then this project should be a hard pass.
    yeah i'm a kool keith fan so this will be interesting of what rza does

The snippets actually sound pretty good to me, does anyone have the full project?

Garden State is the only track with a sample, and the rest is synth based Bob Digi stuff. I guess it makes a contrast to the sample based project with DJ Scratch, and Pit Of Snakes which was all live production.