Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ghostface Killah Christmas & Stem Player Appreciation Thread

-Diamond in the Rough- 3rdEyeVizion's Avatar

Thought GFK was a muslim

meet me in the lobby TommySuits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cilvaringz View Post
    Honest question, asking for research purposes, what do you think makes the difference to wanting to pay $1100 for a limited Mach Homey album, or a special edition Griselda release, but not for a Ghostface album. Also, would you feel different if for example it was a Ghostface & Raekwon EP solely produced by Wu-Element producers.

Let me know.

For me it’s Yes, all day, to that last part. I just miss that Wu sound and the chemistry and I guess the two go hand & hand. We’ve been getting it in crumbs now for years, probably since the late 90’s. It just seemed like the Wu-element production inspired them to rhyme/flow a certain way that they wouldn’t do elsewhere. I remember getting excited about the Tical 0 the prequel because Meth was linking back up with Rza and it had be think we be getting that production, that rhyming and chemistry. But we got meth with missy elliot and Ludacris instead. The only reason I even remember that album is because of ‘the turn’. Cuban Linx 2 is a great example as well. The hype that surrounded that album, Rza was back with Rae and GZA and Deck had lead roles as well. Then they blew us away with state of Grace. Then when the album dropped we got a watered down D Block album.

The album is floating around now 🙏 gonna listen tonight 🔥

Quote Originally Posted by Biggz1988 View Post
    The album is floating around now  gonna listen tonight 
    Oh yeah, I see it. Post a review if you can, I'm not sure this is worth the effort.

Its not on youtube yet, but I saw this:

This was released 14 years ago.

fresh from the kitchen CL2coming's Avatar

Initial thoughts:

Track 1: Trap beat / style. Hook by someone called "Nizzle Man"... no more to say.
    Track 2: Laid back. The horns stabs have a blaxploitation feel. It's OK.
    Track 3: This is pretty nice. Solid beat with a piano trill and occasional vocal samples. Ghost sounds good on this.
    Track 4: A freestyle originally released over a year ago...
    Track 5: This is the track from the promo "trailer". Menacing beat. Ghost sounds energised. I like this. Shame it's a Christmas track.
    Track 6: Interesting... Ghost actually sounds like he's rapping with some feeling / energy. But the beat is bad.

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

These guys need someone like Westside Gunn to manage them, he knows how to market and manage the brand even though some of it may overboard. Otherwise these guys need to retire. Lol @ some of ya'll still saying "If they can just do one more album" lol "wu elements" haha ya'll still holding on
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Shaolin Student

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    Otherwise these guys need to retire.
    I've been checking out some albums that I've overlooked through the years. I used to listen to everything, but that stopped around 07 or so. Anyway, much to my surprise, some of the albums that I've overlooked, and that seem to get hated on or overlooked by others, I've found to be pretty good, sometimes even very good. Now granted these aren't necessarily "new" albums, but in my view they are fairly "recent".

U-God - Venom - 2018 - I think overall this is his best album. The beats suit him, he spits with a hunger, and he has a few good guests. Very good album overall.

Raewon - F.I.L.A. - 2015 - I guess I couldn't get over the cover, but I finally gave it a shot, and I appreciate the approach behind this album. Rae took a pop style approach, but I respect that he did it in his own way. Yes the beats are big and flashy, for the most part. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. In fact some of the beats I really dig (such as F.I.L.A. World). And there are still a few raw tracks on there to give it an edge. And the features are different for a Rae album, but in the context of this album I think they mostly worked. Rae simplified things a little, but still spit with his own style. Overall a different, but very respectable album.

Inspectah Deck - Manifesto - 2010 (Ok, this on is getting a little old) - I remember all the hate that I read when this album dropped. Sad to say that I never listed to it. Well overall I think this is probably his best solo album. The beats might not necessarily all sound like "Wu-Tang" beats, but they suit Deck just fine. And of course Deck spits it like he usually does. Highly underrated album.

Banks & Steelz - Anything But Words - 2016 - Is it different? Yes. Is it the best ever? No. But is it a creative, fun album? Why yes it is. This album feels like Rza and Banks were just messing around, having fun, putting together different beats and sounds, and making music. It's not going to change the game, but there are some really nice ideas in this album. Definitely a one-off type of project, but I gotta give Rza for going all-in on this project. If I want to listen to the old Rza I'll throw in Birth Of A Prince (best of his solo albums for the whip, the other Digital albums just don't hit as well). If I want to rock out, but with a strange hip-hop/electro vibe, then this ain't that bad of a choice.

My point is that the Wu still seem capable of making quality music. And I overlooked a lot of it because I was always wanting them to make music just like their original classics. But now that I've given some of their more recent work a chance (stuff from the last 10 years or so), I've found myself pleasantly surprised.

^i think going in with low expectations makes a big difference tho. I know what u mean. I also haven't checked out much stuff in the period u refer to. And while a lot of the stuff I've checked for was pretty decent, almost none of it actually stuck. The remedy album was good. I gave that lots of spins for a while. I think uey's last 3 albums wete quite good. Manifesto was an absolute fucking drag, despite the fact it was decent music. I've never heard a second of fila and I don't think i should. Dunno, i am kinda interested now. Rae's discog is strong otherwise. Maybe I'll leave it till when i read his book. No interest in hearing banks and stanks or whatever that shit was.

I checked out the meth lab things recently too. The first one sounded pretty good, but i had zero interest in returning to it. The second one i skipped a lot of tracks on first listen (ie. I'll never hear them), which is something I've never done before or since.

I couldn't give a fuck about trying to replicate the old shit or whatever. But i will say that remedy's joint was the most wu sort of shit in essence, and it's far and away got the highest replay value of any wu shit I've heard since i lost interest in hip hop (somewhere in the 2000's).

Peace CT

Pretty wild that we do get a “Wu Elements” produced album in 2022 and its Bugsy Da God. Peace

i think his last album he tried to sell was overpriced as well.

by the time the vinyl ships out christmas is already over lol

nada ignorante

Is Ghostface really going broke? This is a desperate move and the cover look stupid as fuck
    N.I.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by josborne3680 View Post
    Pretty wild that we do get a “Wu Elements” produced album in 2022 and its Bugsy Da God. Peace
    And I'm still bumping that one 😀

”Still craps and lies” Andy Warhov's Avatar

They need better management. You think ghost invented this idea? Nah it was some opportunista manager

Shaolin Student

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    Maybe I'll leave it till when i read his book.
    I just got finished reading it. Overall it's well done. A short read, but it flows well. Rae takes you through his perspective on his life, and tells it straight like he sees it. I bought from Amazon for like 10 bucks.

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

OUATIS done fucked things up huh? Is there a link to this album?