Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Method Man - Tical 0: the Prequel.. is this the 4.5 mic version??

PRODIGAL SUN

Default Method Man - Tical 0: the Prequel.. is this the 4.5 mic version??

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...IYIsxG0kg38hm8

2003 was a bad time to be a wu fan. It was the year of mediocre wu albums. People complained about the 98/99 times but those were glorious days compared to this time.

inspectah deck - the movement
    raekwon - lex diamond story
    Gza - legend of the liquid swords

rza dropped a respectable birth of a prince

and maybe the most infamous of them all: tical 0 the prequel

method man was my favorite rapper ever. You couldnt tell me shit about it either. At the time it was fuck the rest. Method man was still my favorite mc of all time. I loved tical 0, he killed the singles scene post 98 with big features and little odd releases like the rockwilder produced “know your role” for the wwf soundtrack lmao.

blackout was big, then the movie dropped, and the ost was also big. So meth was coming off huge press with the how high movie and the erick sermon produced part II release with red.

def jam released the ost for def jam fight for ny videogame and had the nottz produced UH HUH which was great. It told me that maybe meth had finally transitioned into the traditional nyc banger rapper from his wu tang dark rza beat vibes. I loved the rza style but I wasnt mad at meth doing that. Saw it coming as soon as he rocked with erick sermon and rockwilder; dropping many dope tracks after tical 2 like true from funk flex/big kap the tunnel and even if from nutty professor 2 ost (i think).

then tical 0 dropped.

and i fucking despised it.

gone is rza almost fucking totally. We dont even get erick sermon.. one rockwilder joint. One rza joint. What the fuckkkkk. Harve pierre of p diddys hitmen executive produced it. So i assume he picked these beats. At the time i hated everything on the album sans maybe 3-5 joints.

i just pretended it never existed. When ghost dropped pretty toney the next year he was my favorite rapper now. Sorry meth.

Well 20 years have passed. And im going through wu tang year by year and putting together a collection of everything i liked.

2003 im up to. And i dreaded having to do tical 0.

but then i started seeing everything meth did in 2003.

love at first sight with mary j blige was a big song that year.
    bring da pain with missy elliot was another good collab im not mad at.
    the tracks released in the wuki pack: talk dirty origibal version with dj lethal, this thing (bang bang) with rza, (and a mixtape version with la but thats later), safe box AND tell lies vision ft. La the darkman, carlton fisk, june lova, streetlife (obv done in same session)
    noble art with iam and redman
    lyrical 44 with redman n marleys for the def jam raggae album
    take the heat produced by dr dre that was unreleased
    Do it do it with sticky fingaz that i believe was sposed to be sticks second album
    And to top it off, the a-for mentioned uh huh and the jlove uh huh remix as a cherry on top as i loved it back then

Combine these with the best songs from the album , cut the trash, and BOOM. This album is fucking BANGING

so this is my version

01 intro ft rza
    02 this thing (bang bang) prod and ft rza (love la but jlove drops aint makin this album, OG vers only)
    03 uh huh
    04 say what ft missy (i slept on this song. Great beat. Shoulda had video. Great bad boy beat)
    05 love at first sight ft. Mary j blige
    06 take the heat prod by dr dre
    07 whats happening ft. Busta rhymes
    08 talk dirty (OG version) prod by dj lethal
    09 the motto
    10 we some dogs ft. Redman and snoop (least fav song but fav popular on youtube so i added)
    11 noble art ft iam and redman

12 safebox ft. Carlton fisk, la the darkman, streetlife, june lovah
    13 tell lies vision ft. Carlton fisk, la the darkman, june lovah and donnie
    14 the turn ft raekwon prod by rza
    15 bring the pain ft missy elliot
    16 tease ft chinky prod by no i.d. (Shoulda been a single)
    17 never hold back ft saukrates
    18 lyrical 44 ft redman and marleys
    19 do it do it ft sticky fingaz
    20 the show
    21 act right prod by rockwilder
    22 the afterparty ft ghostface
    23 uh huh remix prod by jlove

ive had this on replay all week. I thought maybe some of yall would give it a listen and give it a chance. Its still very poppy with the commercial production but i eliminated garbage like rodeo and added dre, mary j and that extra missy song is a dope throwback. I think this could have worked out for meth with this being in stores. The album coulda been very big.

and now i think this is better than 421 by a signifigant margin. A lotta songs on 421 are very uninspired whereas i feel meth was trying very hard here and was beaten on by the issues at def jam around the time.

anyway. What yall think.

PRODIGAL SUN

If anyone can edit the yt playlist to show up how its sposed to. This place almost impossible for me to work off my phone.

Veteran Member

Starting with What's Happenin, without the chingy track, then 100%

The Prequel actually has more good tracks than I remember. And yes the J-Love version of Uh huh is crack

I didn’t hate the Prequel but Meth’s expectations are greater than most other rappers. This list isn’t bad. But I’d have to take off love at 1st site (dope but needs more meth) and tease (worst meth track ever by far). Replace those with maybe the prequel and baby come on from the prequel album. That’s just off the top of my head.

Bruh…TEASE?!?? With chinky?!?! A single??!! Cmon now…

meet me in the lobby TommySuits's Avatar

Idk which album is more depressing; Tical 0 or Lex Diamond Story

Def Jam fucked this album.

I remember reading a few articles back before the album dropped. I think Meth had some sort of clause in the deal where as long as T2000 sold over a certain amount, then RZA could basically do what he wanted production-wise on the follow up (I can't remember the specifics now)

Def Jam then went and vetoed pretty much every RZA produced track that was recorded for the album, other than The Turn.

There was an article floating around years ago with a supposed tracklist for the original RZA produced version, I can't find it right now though, and not sure how legit it was.

I wish Meth and RZA had gotten together to craft an album the way RZA and ghost did Supreme Clientele... not necessarily fully produced by RZA, but getting some beats from outside producers, and working on them together to create that cohesive sound. Tical 0 is pretty much the exact opposite unfortunately.

Peace!

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by Pattch82 View Post
    Def Jam fucked this album.

I remember reading a few articles back before the album dropped. I think Meth had some sort of clause in the deal where as long as T2000 sold over a certain amount, then RZA could basically do what he wanted production-wise on the follow up (I can't remember the specifics now)

Def Jam then went and vetoed pretty much every RZA produced track that was recorded for the album, other than The Turn.

There was an article floating around years ago with a supposed tracklist for the original RZA produced version, I can't find it right now though, and not sure how legit it was.

I wish Meth and RZA had gotten together to craft an album the way RZA and ghost did Supreme Clientele... not necessarily fully produced by RZA, but getting some beats from outside producers, and working on them together to create that cohesive sound. Tical 0 is pretty much the exact opposite unfortunately.

Peace!
    i always wanted to know who produced tell lies vision and safe box. The turn is the best song on the real album and this thing(bangbang) is dope to me. I like the way the intro almost connects to it.

the album is filled with wack connercial beats by nobodies. Danaun porter too ehh. ZERO erick sermon for some reaso. No hav. Early no ID thi. No math. The dre track never made it for some reason. Bad boy was sposed to have helped make these beats but the only track wirth a damn was say what with missy who i know most wu fans aint tryjng ti hear. the woman/meth angle, they keep trying to put him in that lane. Its a dope lane to stay relevent tho.

the best collab that year was love at first sight, bad boy produced single for mary. Idk why why cant get these type of songs on their own shit. And whomever decided to cut uh huh was a moron.

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by trinking View Post
    I didn’t hate the Prequel but Meth’s expectations are greater than most other rappers. This list isn’t bad. But I’d have to take off love at 1st site (dope but needs more meth) and tease (worst meth track ever by far). Replace those with maybe the prequel and baby come on from the prequel album. That’s just off the top of my head.

Bruh…TEASE?!?? With chinky?!?! A single??!! Cmon now…
    bruh

theres nothing wrong with this song. No id beat before he blew up. Chinky the singer from mobb deep. Its got a good flow. Its a girl song. I thibk its better than break ups 2 makeups and that was a hit. Its way better beat than all the ones i cut and the most poppy song on the album. At this time wu would put poppy songs on their albums and then not use them for singles which makes zero sense to me. Get at me on the swarm im looking at you. Ghostshowers im looking at you.

ive always liked it from day one. I dont see whats wrong with it at all. Rodeo. Now thats bad. Say what and tease are well done pop songs imo.

this reminda me of another song i love on 421, fall out prod by kwame. Yall hated that one too and i dont understand why. I dont need wu to be on grimey prod 24/7, thats what make tical 1/2 special.

but yea there is a grimier album on here if you take off the pop shit. If i was gon make that album, id have to completely rework it tho. And itd be significantly shorter.

this is the best meth in 2003 at its purest tho imo

infact i remember my ex asking me to make her a wu/rnb mix for her cause she liked it, and this was one of her fav songs.

Peace CT

So had to look up that Tease track. 100 percent got skipped every time since album's first listen. Feel like this track is the perfect example as to why this album is a complete mess. Peace

Quote Originally Posted by ForensikZ View Post
    bruh

theres nothing wrong with this song. No id beat before he blew up. Chinky the singer from mobb deep. Its got a good flow. Its a girl song. I thibk its better than break ups 2 makeups and that was a hit. Its way better beat than all the ones i cut and the most poppy song on the album. At this time wu would put poppy songs on their albums and then not use them for singles which makes zero sense to me. Get at me on the swarm im looking at you. Ghostshowers im looking at you.

ive always liked it from day one. I dont see whats wrong with it at all. Rodeo. Now thats bad. Say what and tease are well done pop songs imo.

this reminda me of another song i love on 421, fall out prod by kwame. Yall hated that one too and i dont understand why. I dont need wu to be on grimey prod 24/7, thats what make tical 1/2 special.

but yea there is a grimier album on here if you take off the pop shit. If i was gon make that album, id have to completely rework it tho. And itd be significantly shorter.

infact i remember my ex asking me to make her a wu/rnb mix for her cause she liked it, and this was one of her fav songs.
    Tease better then break ups 2 make ups?! Nah man you’re probably the only person on the PLANET with that opinion. Appreciate the work to make the track list and YouTube link but I’m seriously questioning your taste in music after that statement

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForensikZ View Post
    bruh

I love Fall Out. Tease is garbage. Lol

Missy is dope and 'Dog In Heat' is a legit fantastic song.

I don't remember this album except a few good songs. It was weak and a bad direction for Meth.

Meth is reluctant to make albums unless somebody he trusts produces. RZA should get back in the zone.

Eastern village

From rolling stone

“I still got a dark cloud over me,” Method Man announces. “Shit is fucked up, man.”

The Wu-Tang MC has had a rough year. Along with the career doldrums he’s been stuck in lately, his trademark bejeweled ice pick broke; other pieces of his jewelry were stolen; and his Mercedes got jacked. Even worse, as Meth tells it, his Benz was stolen by a friend. “Motherfucker sold it for me and kept the money. I known him for like twelve years,” says the Wu-Tang MC. “All I can do is shake my head. I even invited him to my wedding.”

On an even more serious note, his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. She beat it into remission — but now Meth is feuding with Wendy Williams after the New York radio personality made light of his wife’s illness on the air. The rapper showed up at the station earlier this month to counter — only to discover that Williams would not have him on her show. “My wife is one of the strongest people on the planet,” says Meth. “I just want to make Wendy Williams aware of exactly what it felt like to be sitting in that hospital room, watching them pump this poison into the one you love.”

But putting his troubles aside while rolling the 29,000th blunt of his life, Meth a.k.a. Tical a.k.a. Iron Lung shakes his head, shows glowing enthusiasm for his new album, 4:21 . . . The Day After, which drops August 29th.

While his last effort, 2004’s Tical 0: The Prequel, was by no stretch a big seller, Meth attributes that shortcoming to P. Diddy’s production, which he calls a bad fit. “I wasn’t with Puff, I just got put with Puff for a second — which was a mistake, ’cause Puff do what he do,” he says. “He does records that make the world dance and sing, and I respect him. But as far as Puff messin’ with Method Man — nawww.” For 4:21, the rapper’s backing away from radio-friendly dance tunes. Handling the boards this time around are Erick “Green-Eyed Bandit” Sermon, Wu-Tang patriarch RZA and hitmaker Scott Storch, while guest shots come from Fat Joe, Ginuwine and (of course) Redman.

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by trinking View Post
    Tease better then break ups 2 make ups?! Nah man you’re probably the only person on the PLANET with that opinion. Appreciate the work to make the track list and YouTube link but I’m seriously questioning your taste in music after that statement
    I just dont see it as a bad track. There are legit straight horrible shit on tical 0. Rodeo is easily the worst song on the album. Beats like the prequel, crooked letter I, who you rolling with, are waaaaay more flagrant bad early 2000s beats The kardinal offishal song way more forgettable girl song.

and the crazy shit is after relistening, id rather hear the synthy joints here than that first 3 track run (post rza intro of course) of 421. The scott storch, havoc and erick sermon beats on the start of album are just as bad as some of these.

aint noone telling me why the song is bad. Even has a classic lenny williams soul sample; one of the only ones on the entire album of synth production. Theres a reason No ID runs def jam today lmao.

with that said. The show. The motto. Act right and that gillahouse record i underrated out the gate.

anyway i just thought to spotlight the album for a sec. it fills a void today for me to reminisce. Jaydee props for the article.
    Last edited by ForensikZ; 12-26-2022 at 12:12 AM.

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Missy is dope and 'Dog In Heat' is a legit fantastic song.

I don't remember this album except a few good songs. It was weak and a bad direction for Meth.

Meth is reluctant to make albums unless somebody he trusts produces. RZA should get back in the zone.
    yea i put dog in heat on my method man and redman mix once i take all the wu production off and just put it on tical 2 as it was properly meant to. Then i just add their best collabs to their album + soundtravk as they rushed blackout out and hurt tical 2 in the process. I just know run 4 cover and cereal killer and fire ina hole were meant for t2 as they fit sonically and rza prolly made a deal with def jam to get travks on the follow up duo album and prolly took these off.