Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Millenials Are First Gen To Not Get More Conservative As They Age

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Theres multiple articles on this. The original FT article is behind a paywall.

The graph clearly shows theres a difference with this generation. I think it also has to do with people having less kids or having them later.
    Millennials aren't old enough for this to be valid IMO as a generalisation I would say the number one factor is that we are pretty much priced out of decent housing which is only getting worse and wages have stagnated for us, I will reserve judgement on whether the millennials aren't getting conservative once we start hitting our 50s and 60s which is when the selfishness of a generation really kicks in. The Gen X were the so-called depressed generation of the 1980's and they latched on to boomer mentality and kept it going and are starting reap the benefits themselves now which the graph shows a rise in conservative beliefs for them.

I don't think politics is why people are having less kids there's definitely multiple elements such as women are educated in higher numbers now, price of living is drastically rising, housing is not affordable, technology has stagnated a lot of men. Most people pretty much can't afford to have kids, I was talking to a co-worker the other day about how much basic shit for a kid like nappies costs and it's outrageously expensive.
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

^ Yeah all of that is true to some extent, but what the original article showed was that by 35-40, previous gens had already turned 10 points more conservative, whereas millennials and younger are 5 points less conservative. They aren't following that trajectory.

Of course that may kick in later but as others have said, its also the cohort effect of how you were raised, and having different political influences and life circumstances. Its not a given that they'd end up following the exact same trajectory even if money was no issue.

Could also be that ppl are buying homes etc later. Maybe once the home buying becomes the norm (and it's getting there I feel), there'll be a shift.

good point
    "I hate them and I wish death among them!" - Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    Could also be that ppl are buying homes etc later. Maybe once the home buying becomes the norm (and it's getting there I feel), there'll be a shift.
    It still happens increasingly later in life though. I can see conservative politicians go more centrist over the next few decades so they can pick up people in the middle ground as that demographic swells.

From what I'm seeing, young conservatives atm are jon stewart democrats on issues. Next to nobody is on some 'yay corporations' shit any more, everyone thinks the military is pretty lame or at least shouldn't be diefied, religion isn't a factor, and socially most millenials are inclinded towards letting ppl do what they want to do. Even on the fringes of conservatism, viewpoints are traditionally liberal. That fringe is kept alive by how annoying and sick fringe liberals are and I don't disagree with them as far as that goes, but I can see that that fringe doesn't exist in signficant numbe. It is only getting press because social media rewards disagreeable behavior as an engagement strategy.