Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ranking GZA's discography

Default Ranking GZA's discography

Feel free to shit on me for this. This is not meant as a troll post. I legit feel this way about the albums.

1. Legend of the liquid sword 10/10.

His most complete album to me. His voice still has that
    snap/spark/energy. Dark beats and they're all bangers. Very cohesive sounding. I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that Jaz-O came up with a sinister sounding hit that incorporates Anthony Allen of all people. And I raised a generation of kiddies on 'Animal planet' as an English teacher for semi-starter level English. The edits don't bother me anymore. They did when the album first dropped.

2. Liquid Swords. 9.5/10.

Yeah yeah it's the best album in hip hop along with 'OB4CL...' I listened to it too much years ago. It plays out like a concept album even though it's not a concept album. I'm not a fan of concept albums. (Looking at you, late career Ghost.) I *never* play this anymore while I still listen to Rae's debut all the time, and I played that one to death too when it first dropped.

3. Beneath the surface. 8.5/10

Stop. Using. Skits. In. Rap!

Would have been a 9 w/o the skits.

4. Grandmasters + RMX album. 5/10

I don't care for chess. Muggs could have come with better beats. I know you hate me now. Sorry.

5. Pro Tools 4/10

Low energy. Somehow his voice sounds tired ('Short Race' esp.) and the production sounds flat too. These songs fail to make a lasting impression with me. 'Pencil' shits on the other tracks and is easily a 10/10 song. '0% finance' is great too, but we've heard that beat before, haven't we? I like 'Cinema' too.

6. Words from the Genius. 3/10

I don't even feel like I wanna grade this one because it doesn't seem fair. He had to start somewhere. Even as an old skool album this ain't it.

Ending on a positive note, I think GZA is the finest rapper to ever bring concept songs to fruition. See, while I don't like concept albums, I enjoy concept songs immensely.
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 04-25-2023 at 04:04 PM.
    Retired.

I'm surprised at this take. Liquid Swords still holds up, and I'm also guilty of overplaying it (even this week). Also weirdly Cuban Linx is much more of a concept album than LS (which is concept songs as you say).

Thats the only problem with classic music, you want to keep playing it but you wear it out. Maybe you just need to not hear it for a few years, but I know from personal experience that its more like a good 5 year break you need to fully appreciate again a classic album that you've overplayed. You need some distance from things to reevaluate them. Like I remember every audio detail of 36 Chambers, Illmatic etc. I really have to be in a nostalgic mood to put shit like that on, because I probably played them literally hundreds of times throughout my teens and my 20s.

My ranking:

1. Liquid Swords (10/10) A remarkable set of GZA songs analyzing ghetto politics from a birds eye view with the whole clan playing supporting roles, set to apocalyptic RZA bone rattlers.

2. Legend Of The Liquid Sword (9/10) You're right Hal, this is an underrated Wu album. The beats are on point for the most part, some are RZA influenced and some have that crisp soul sample sound that was in vogue at the time. GZA knocks them right out of the park.

3. Beneath The Surface (7/10) I've never been a big fan of this album. GZA's songs are consistently excellent (Breaker, Breaker, Beneath The Surface etc) but the sterile production and pointless skits make it a chore to listen to.

4. Grandmasters (7/10) This is where GZA debuted a mellow delivery on a few songs. Sometimes I can imagine him sitting down while rapping, which I guess is fitting for a Chess concept album. Muggs' production is Wu-Tang adjacent but mostly unremarkable. When the album comes together its great. Muggs production has evolved since then, maybe another collab album has even more potential.

5. Pro Tools (5/10) GZA's delivery here is much less energetic, sometimes downright bored, as if he's reading his shopping list. It detracts from the album in places where he doesn't match the energy of the production. There are still a handful of tracks where everything comes together nicely.

6. Words From The Genius (5/10) Some of the songs are excellent (Drama, Stay Out Of Bars) but this album probably felt dated even when it was released. In 1991 Hip Hop was in the midst of movements like jazz-rap, proto g-funk, tongue twister rapping etc while the beats and rap delivery on this album felt like they could have came out 5 years earlier.

On his more recent songs hes back to a more energetic flow. Still waiting for the next album.

Peace CT

Liquid Swords and Grandmasters are the only 2 I really go back to of late. Legend of the Liquid Sword I probably need to go back to. Beneath the Surface was ruined by those awful skits. Peace

crappadonna

Second best discography in the clan. Behind Ghostface.

PRODIGAL SUN

Legend a 10?

hmm. I dont agree. But it has some major gems.

stay in line is my fav song
    sparring minds
    animal planet
    silent
    legend of ls
    knock knock
    fam mebers only
    fAme
    autobio

are my fav songs. Rest isnt bad whatsoever but im not as high on them. Except the rza beat. Complete trash that song was imo id say its 3.75 mics. Maybe 4. Id have to relisten to the other tracks.

edit: highway robbery luminal and uncut material are dope too. Did you say that and rough cut tho im totally not feelin.

Pro tools on otherhand, is solid all the way through but fewer songs i really like,

lifes a movie is my fav
    pencil
    alphabets
    groundbreaking
    7 pound
    paprt plate

Respectable bangers on both, but a few forgettable tracks as well. Or if not forgettable just not as memorable as the others. 3.5 mics. Legend i think was slightly better. Tho my fav song from either album is lifes a movie. One of the last classic rza/gza collabos. But he def not as hungry sounding at all.

liquid sworrds is 5 mics. Dont need to explain

beneath the surface is imo his second strongest album.

the only song i really aint feeling is the single which is made up with the breaker breaker remix. Stringplay with meth eas also a dissapointment to me growing up because shadowboxin cast a LARGE shadow

i give this one a 4 but more like a 4.25

i love
    amplified sample
    mic trippin
    crash ya crew
    high pricr small reward
    beneath the surface
    hip hop fury
    publicity
    victim

I just love the vibe of the album

grandmasters is a 4. Banging straight thru. Imo muggs best versus album. General pricipals my fav but the whole thing is good; especially when you can pick anf choose with the remix album

as for words. I feel like a bad wu stan but ive tried to play that album srveral times and never get close to finishing it. Pass the bone is the best track

so

liquid swords - 5
    beneath the surface - 4.25
    grandmasters - 4
    legend of the liquid sword - 4
    pro tools - 3.5

Props for bringing this up as id been meaning to recheck legend. Way better than i remember. Still hate that rza beat tho
    Last edited by ForensikZ; 04-25-2023 at 11:04 PM.

To the threadstarter, so you say Liquid Swords is the best album in hip-hop along with OB4CB...and then you rate Legend Of The Liquid Sword higher, I don't understand your logic, can you explain please??

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    To the threadstarter, so you say Liquid Swords is the best album in hip-hop along with OB4CB...and then you rate Legend Of The Liquid Sword higher, I don't understand your logic, can you explain please??
    I was quoting what a lot of other people would say about LS and OB4CL.

As to LS being a 9.5 and LOTLS being a 10 in my book, it's because I listened to LS too many times While LOTLS can still surprise me.

How would you rate GZA's albums? I would love to hear your input too. I have enjoyed reading all the replies above. Thanks to everyone.
    Retired.

Liquid Swords is only the best hip-hop album to Wu-heads, most hip-hop fans don't care much about it and regard Illmatic, Ready To Die, Chronic, The Infamous, Reasonable Doubt and 36 Chambers as the top hip-hop albums.

BTW, I think Liquid Swords is much much much better than Legend OTLS.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Liquid Swords is only the best hip-hop album to Wu-heads, most hip-hop fans don't care much about it and regard Illmatic, Ready To Die, Chronic, The Infamous, Reasonable Doubt and 36 Chambers as the top hip-hop albums.
    I don't think thats true. It comes up a lot when the question is asked, along with CL.

Quote Originally Posted by human torch View Post
    Second best discography in the clan. Behind Ghostface.
    THIS!

PRODIGAL SUN

question, was the song with gza and rza called third world, on a release, or was it only released as a single?

I vaguely remember it being for a soundtrack, but the title escapes me at the moment

crappadonna

Quote Originally Posted by Holocaust View Post
    question, was the song with gza and rza called third world, on a release, or was it only released as a single?

I vaguely remember it being for a soundtrack, but the title escapes me at the moment
    It was on the first soul assassin’s album

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Jones View Post
    ... And I raised a generation of kiddies on 'Animal planet' as an English teacher for semi-starter level English.
    YES to Hip Hop in the classroom Teach. Done know Animal Planet is some next level concept & lyrics. Personally, LS is FAV Wu Solo Chamber EVER. For at least a decade and a half, have tradition of playing it on my born day!

Good post which sparked solid interaction! PEACE

Quote Originally Posted by human torch View Post
    It was on the first soul assassin’s album
    "Third World" YO Did GZA direct it as this release was around the time he directed vids and is similar to his work on "Shadowboxin/4th Chamber"?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmf2ZcftadI

As speaking Wu & Muggs have to plug this one too SUUUUUUUUU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgcK7ZP3oaU
    (Devil in A Blue Dress)