Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ranking GZA's discography

OP listed Legend of Liquid Sword > Liquid Swords? Did I read that correctly?
    " Fifty caliber street sweepers shots from Shaolin that go to Massapequa." - Gza

1112 best song on Beneath IMO........I may have played it 100,000 times at this point in my life.
    " Fifty caliber street sweepers shots from Shaolin that go to Massapequa." - Gza

Quote Originally Posted by That Go 2 Massapequa View Post
    OP listed Legend of Liquid Sword > Liquid Swords? Did I read that correctly?
    Yes, I did. I just played LS too many times and now I prefer listening to Legend instead. LS is of course a bonafide classic.

1112 is dope.
    Retired.

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Jones View Post
    Feel free to shit on me for this. This is not meant as a troll post. I legit feel this way about the albums.

1. Legend of the liquid sword 10/10.

His most complete album to me. His voice still has that
    snap/spark/energy. Dark beats and they're all bangers. Very cohesive sounding. I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that Jaz-O came up with a sinister sounding hit that incorporates Anthony Allen of all people. And I raised a generation of kiddies on 'Animal planet' as an English teacher for semi-starter level English. The edits don't bother me anymore. They did when the album first dropped.

2. Liquid Swords. 9.5/10.

Yeah yeah it's the best album in hip hop along with 'OB4CL...' I listened to it too much years ago. It plays out like a concept album even though it's not a concept album. I'm not a fan of concept albums. (Looking at you, late career Ghost.) I *never* play this anymore while I still listen to Rae's debut all the time, and I played that one to death too when it first dropped.

3. Beneath the surface. 8.5/10

Stop. Using. Skits. In. Rap!

Would have been a 9 w/o the skits.

4. Grandmasters + RMX album. 5/10

I don't care for chess. Muggs could have come with better beats. I know you hate me now. Sorry.

5. Pro Tools 4/10

Low energy. Somehow his voice sounds tired ('Short Race' esp.) and the production sounds flat too. These songs fail to make a lasting impression with me. 'Pencil' shits on the other tracks and is easily a 10/10 song. '0% finance' is great too, but we've heard that beat before, haven't we? I like 'Cinema' too.

6. Words from the Genius. 3/10

I don't even feel like I wanna grade this one because it doesn't seem fair. He had to start somewhere. Even as an old skool album this ain't it.

Ending on a positive note, I think GZA is the finest rapper to ever bring concept songs to fruition. See, while I don't like concept albums, I enjoy concept songs immensely.
    Pro Tools wasn't as bad but honestly its all personal preference

I have been listening extensively to 'ProTools' since I posted my rankings in this thread and I have to admit that I have since changed my opinion. By now I can appreciate a good half of the tracks as opposed to only 3 before so I'd change my rating from 4 to 6. Maybe even more listening will help me appreciate some of the other tracks too.

For years I could not get into the album at all.

This is why I like WuCorp so much. You guys help me appreciate some of the output more by sharing your views. Thank you.
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 05-08-2023 at 02:22 AM.
    Retired.

Of course to each his own. Just could not believe it LOL.......

Pro Tools can grow on all Gza fans I think........Life is a Movie is underrated IMO. 50 cent diss track is out of control.

Yes, I did. I just played LS too many times and now I prefer listening to Legend instead. LS is of course a bonafide classic.

1112 is dope.

PRODIGAL SUN

I have been listening extensively to 'ProTools' since I posted my rankings in this thread and I have to admit that I have since changed my opinion. By now I can appreciate a good half of the tracks as apposed to only 3 before so I'd change my rating from 4 to 6. Maybe even more listening will help me appreciate some of the other tracks too.

For years I could not get into the album at all.

This is why I like WuCorp so much. You guys help me appreciate some of the output more by sharing your views. Thank you.
    Have you ever heard the 0% finance remix by blue sky black death. Was promo for the album and imo better than the og with the fake stay in line beat retread. Cant find on youtube but maybe on soulseek

its this but without canibus

That's completely new to me. Sounds fire! Thank you!
    Retired.