Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Method Man the most underrated Wu member now?

Default Is Method Man the most underrated Wu member now?

I know he's probably the most mainstream and popular member now that ODB is gone, but his albums are never highly rated by Wu fans or "hip hop heads". Its like his fans are mostly rap fans who don't listen to other Wu members. The respect for Masta Killa, U-God and Inspectah Deck has grown so much with casual fans that I think Meth is probably the most slept on in terms of his solo career. There's also that indie thing where its cool to say a really popular & good looking rapper is overrated.
    "Why are you looking hard with a hood on and Timberland boots, staring at me for one hour..? When you could walk up and shake my hand? Why?"

Kool Keith, "Intro" Black Elvis/Lost in Space

I'm 31. I started listening to Wu Tang in 2005. So bear that in mind.

My current belief is that Method Man would be ranked 9th out of the 10 Wu-Tang Clan members. 1st being Ghostface.

Method Man is the casual listeners favourite or most well known member, purely because of his activities outside of the Clan and his colloborations with Redman. He is the most accessible lyrically and flow wise. He even admitted himself that his performances in the 90's were sub par, particularly on Wu Forever, where he said he lost motivation to really push boundaries.
    It's the god, god.

Meth gets the most publicity along with RZA, and also seems to do the most guest features these days.

I would rank him somewhere in the middle. Tical 2000 is an underrated classic too.

Peace CT

He’s currently the most consistent and probably the best MC in Clan. My list changes all the time. And this might be first time he’s been number 1 for me. Ghost sounds washed these days. Rae is Rae, never been in my top 5. GZA might as well be retired. RZA keeps making Bobby Digital albums for some reason. MK is always top 3 for me but don’t recall last new verse we got from him. Deck still kills it with CZARFACE. So as of today, Deck and Meth are the best. Check the track they did with RJ Payne as this proves they r still relevant and nasty at same time. Peace

Meth is DOPE (pun intended lol ; ) Maybe he's more a feature killer though as, by his own accord from interviews, he doesnt really have a CLASSIC solo album. Thats debatale as "Tical" is type classical to many... Still hoping for "Crystal Method" SUUUUUUUUU

In the past my favorite Wu rappers were Raekwon, Ghostface and Inspectah Deck, but nowdays Method might be the best rapper of them all, his voice and flow are truly ill and he can do it all, hooks, bars, punchilnes, stage presence, charisma, he got it all.

Method Man is probably the most likeable personality in Wu, that comes through in his verses too.

Also one of the greatest flow-ers of all time.

Meth is the full package.
    Retired.

btw, I love Method Man, do I dont thing he has ever made a storytelling song, all his raps are just flow and words that sound good together, which is totally fine by me cause I love feel good simple rhymes that he is a master at, he might be the most musically rapper on Wu.

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    btw, I love Method Man, do I dont thing he has ever made a storytelling song, all his raps are just flow and words that sound good together, which is totally fine by me cause I love feel good simple rhymes that he is a master at, he might be the most musically rapper on Wu.
    I know what your saying, party crasher, break ups 2 make ups, All i need are closest. Or yolandas house, cereal killer for staying oncept. . Also Say.

i think thats why you dont hear him, snoop, busta in the same goat category as nas jay big and pac due to their personal indepth stories vs traditional raps

as for OP, today hes still the nicest. Him and rae never dipped at all imo. Its just he was rhyming over beats i dont like

well never get another tical but ill take the method man we do get over most wu members today

Veteran Member

I'd say these days he is the most underrated. He gets a lot of hate in Twitter for some reason...I won't ever get it. Dude seems like he has only improved with age and he kills everything he's on. Make a few adjustments to some of his releases and I really don't see how his greatness can be disputed

Lotta good points. I haven't heard these recent features he does. That would make for a great mixtape project. All the members are top-shelf MCs but Meth himself once rapped he's a "4 mic MC with 5 mic potential". Lately I've been thinking how he's made similar lines like that showing he is disappointed with his career and how defensive the Wu got when Joe Budden dissed Meth's skills.

For me personally, Meth was my first favorite Wu member. "Bring the Pain" and Tical 2000 were just the coolest shit ever in the 90s and I think thats how the Wu should've presented themselves more commercially: not really gangsta but grimy and kinda nerdy; not too preachy but definitely enlightened. Even the cornball Limp Bizkit song was a great Meth moment that I think cemented the Wu in pop culture.

But inside the actual Wu catalog, Meth is maybe my least favorite because his following solo albums are so much less memorable and while he's always solid on a posse cut and has the best wordplay, he rarely kills a song IMO.

Meth is probably the guy I most want to see get a big comeback album. I think he has the most to say about things going on and would attract the best producers and features if he doesn't try to be commercial and safe. I hate that he might be remembered as a TV host or movie comedian instead of that bad-ass 90s MC who was the hottest in the group starting out. I like to think he will make a dope album when he's done getting all this mainstream money.
    "Why are you looking hard with a hood on and Timberland boots, staring at me for one hour..? When you could walk up and shake my hand? Why?"

One more thing: people say he's the most well-rounded and the total package. The one thing I think he's weak at (and why he's the most commercial and popular) is that he doesn't do off-beat rhyming as much as the others. He sticks to ABAB "end rhymes" whereas the others (especially Masta Killa lol) will have weird rhyme schemes that sound like they aren't even rhyming. Even GZA will do some of that occasionally just to show he can.

Mainstream rap fans hate this style but I think its the best kind of rapping and I think underground hip-hop fans admire it too.

I haven’t checked the last Meth Lab albums, but i always listen to Meth specially when he’s a guest in somebody’s song and he murders the host and other cats on them songs.
    But, his own music he doesnt have that spark that he has as on a guest spot.
    Don’t get me wrong, Tical, 2000, 421 are dope albums not sure if classics.
    But, he outshined some of the greatest mc’s with his delivery.

Depends how we're ranking them, present day list will be different to lifetime list.
    It's the god, god.