Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Method Man the most underrated Wu member now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Seed View Post
    One more thing: people say he's the most well-rounded and the total package. The one thing I think he's weak at (and why he's the most commercial and popular) is that he doesn't do off-beat rhyming as much as the others. He sticks to ABAB "end rhymes" whereas the others (especially Masta Killa lol) will have weird rhyme schemes that sound like they aren't even rhyming. Even GZA will do some of that occasionally just to show he can.

Mainstream rap fans hate this style but I think its the best kind of rapping and I think underground hip-hop fans admire it too.
    can you please share some songs as exemples of what you are saying about Masta Killah??

glaciers of ice.
    It's the god, god.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    can you please share some songs as exemples of what you are saying about Masta Killah??
    man, practically every verse from the 90s.

"The track renders helpless and suffers from multiple stab wounds
    And leaks sounds that's heard
    93 million miles away from came one
    To represent the Nation, this is a gathering
    Of the masses that come to pay respects to the Wu-Tang Clan
    As we engage in battle, the crowd now screams in rage
    The high chief Jamel Arief takes the stage
    Light is provided through sparks of energy
    From the mind that travels in rhyme form
    Giving sight to the blind
    The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum
    Death only one can save self from
    This relentless attack of the track spares none"

He rhymes just not on beat as much as the others. Its more internal rhyme; not end rhyme.
    "Why are you looking hard with a hood on and Timberland boots, staring at me for one hour..? When you could walk up and shake my hand? Why?"

Kool Keith, "Intro" Black Elvis/Lost in Space

Quote Originally Posted by grt05 View Post
    glaciers of ice.
    One of his BEST verses and personal FAV! "no assistance moving motionless..."

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Seed View Post
    man, practically every verse from the 90s.

"The track renders helpless and suffers from multiple stab wounds
    And leaks sounds that's heard
    93 million miles away from came one
    To represent the Nation, this is a gathering
    Of the masses that come to pay respects to the Wu-Tang Clan
    As we engage in battle, the crowd now screams in rage
    The high chief Jamel Arief takes the stage
    Light is provided through sparks of energy
    From the mind that travels in rhyme form
    Giving sight to the blind
    The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum
    Death only one can save self from
    This relentless attack of the track spares none"

He rhymes just not on beat as much as the others. Its more internal rhyme; not end rhyme.
    to be honest I am not really a fan.

I dont want to hater, but among my friends Masta Killah always had the fame of being the most boring rapper on Wu-Tang.

I think he just got lucky to be there instead of Killah Priest like it was supposed to and which is much better rapper and really brings something different to the table.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 05-16-2023 at 04:22 AM.

I like him but my friends felt the same about him. Its a bit weird to me when people joke U-God is the worst or least popular member because most people don't know or like Masta Killa and his style at all while U-God is on tons of famous songs. But MK had a well-received album when most of the Clan were being written off so it put him ahead of U-God to a lot of people. I'd say Mk is the most underrated, easily.

To appreciate his flow you have to look at his rhyme scheme like free jazz. Its unpredictable and loose. Tbh, I like it more than Meth using the same rigid rhyme scheme through his verses, which is why he's more accessible.
    "Why are you looking hard with a hood on and Timberland boots, staring at me for one hour..? When you could walk up and shake my hand? Why?"

Kool Keith, "Intro" Black Elvis/Lost in Space

Peace CT

MK was MVP on A Better Tomorrow and always stood out as a guest in the 90s. Loyal and consistent so he’s always a top 3 for me. Peace

Masta Killa is dope!
    His Clan verses are dope for the most part, I understand his style is like slow, but not wack at all.
    U-God’s voice is dope as hell, i like his Dopium album alot.
    His verses on Clan albums are nice

PRODIGAL SUN

Hmmm

meth was my favorite as a kid frkm 95-2003. Ghost from 2003-2009. And then its been rae. The last few years tho raes dissapeared and meth has come through with a steady supply of guest verses like rae did in 2010s. Im not really a fan of the meth lab albums however. Its been a quiet decade for wu overall. Im glad hes back to rapping and doing it at such a high level. Others could learn from him. Id prolly say killah priest has been true mvp for wu since psychic world; but i fear these spoken word albums are wearing thin. Cant forget deck either. Czarface gave him new life even if i wont really check it like that.

Quiet decade indeed. Although I'd say until about 2018 there was still a steady stream of high profile Wu (related) albums
    Retired.