Thread: Your 1st exposure to the Wu and earliest memories

Default Your 1st exposure to the Wu and earliest memories

I'm 35. Grew up in southern Georgia. Not a lot of NYC rap made it down here in the mid 90s. We got Biggie, a few Nas singles. More so 2Pac and Dre. We played Miami booty music like Luke and old-school party rap like Juice Crew, Sir Mix-a-Lot and Whodini until Outkast came out.

But I still remember seeing "C.R.E.A.M." playing on BET in the mid 90s. It was so radically different, man. First rappers I've seen who looked like the bummy, dangerous thugs from my neighborhood. Staten guys seemed more like Southern niggas because they had their own slang, fashion, weird taste in music, gold grills, etc. and were just outsiders who got overlooked or underrated as stupid or no good. They were gritty and hungry. I like to think thats why Raekwon and ODB were the first to put a stamp on Outkast. Also a lot of the 5% stuff Wu preached was familiar to me as a kid because Malachi York and the Nawaubians moved to Georgia in the early 90s so weird people like Outkast would use the same terms like "devils" and "God".

Because CREAM was so iconic, Rae, Meth and Deck are still the members I love the most. But then ODB blew up right after Pac died and I know people say Jay-Z or DMX filled in Pac's role. Its obvious to me ODB was that guy. Pac was a crazy dude always getting into legal trouble and crying out about racism and celebrating thugs. ODB's pop run was kinda short but thats probably my favorite run of any top rapper. Just crazy. He would be on MTV with squeaky clean white kids and it was like he was exposing them to a whole world they'd never seen but needed to. I legit cried when ODB died and I don't think another rapper's death will ever disappoint me more.

Its weird but I saw and gravitated to Rae, Meth, ODB videos on TV but didn't realize they were all in the same group until years later. I didn't get "36 Chambers" until I was in middle school, maybe 2001. That was the first "hardcore" NYC hip-hop I ever heard and its been my shit ever since. Again, I grew up thinking hip-hop = G-Funk, booty bass "pop that pussy!" shit and 80s stuff like the Fat Boys or MC Hammer. The same shit that influenced most Southern rap. Wu Tang was mind blowing because it influenced all the NY rap that was slowly making a comeback (Puffy, Mase, Lox, Cam'ron, Rocafella) but it was so much better and raw. Even tho they started the coke dealing and money rap, it was more out of desperation and proving themselves. They had a pro-black philosophy behind it and promoted brotherhood and being a tough guy instead of just corporate thugging.

After that hearing that album, I was the Wu Tang kid even tho I was like 5 years late. Because NONE of the kids I grew up with even knew Wu Tang Clan. And that was kinda cool because Wu made a little comeback in the 2000s with "Gravel Pit" and a bunch of solo projects. And the internet was blowing up so I found tons of other Wu fans were like a global brotherhood of super rap fans who collected all these rare songs by every random Wu affiliate. By the time I was in college, Ghostface was getting love from underground heads and Trap was making the South learn "Cuban Linx" was this blueprint album we needed to hear. But I felt beyond everyone else down here. I was in my U-God/Masta Killa/Warcloud phase, like "y'all, just getting into RZA and Method Man?" Real hip-hop snob

Most of the best friendships I've ever had were based solely on the fact they liked Wu Tang. And a few were real Wu heads who could debate albums and members' skills and the timeline of events.

To me, Wu Tang really is for the children. I know older fans brag how they lived through the Wu's dominance in NYC and saw Wu Wear stores but I think the biggest fans found Wu as teens and kids. Something about them makes them unique and better than any other group of rappers. Gangsta rap was taking over but gangsta rappers were trying so hard to be scary and above the audience. Wu were showing off their intelligence and kindness, like a bunch of cool geeky dudes you could meet anywhere. But they were also just as street and potentially dangerous. CREAM established quickly that they came from scarier places than 99% of rappers so they weren't going to waste time proving their street cred. They rapped about whatever they wanted and it was more rebellious and punk rock than rock at the time. And from my childhood to this day, I educate people about hip-hop lyricism when they say some bullshit like Lil Wayne or Kendrick or Eminem are top 5 ever. Wu have and will continue being this high standard of music to stunt on people who like garbage music. Because everyone knows Wu Tang but only like 5% really listen to them.

But I think Wu fans who became rappers, youtube and their TV show has upped the popularity they lost after the Hot 97 thing. I wonder how a new album would do and if it will make a new generation of fans. They're needed now more than ever with the New World Order, blacks acting foolish, men and women switching genders, everyone losing God and rap being the biggest poison there is.
    Last edited by Sam the Seed; 06-14-2023 at 02:59 AM.
    "Why are you looking hard with a hood on and Timberland boots, staring at me for one hour..? When you could walk up and shake my hand? Why?"

Kool Keith, "Intro" Black Elvis/Lost in Space

Back in 1996 I was an European white skater boy, I was into punk before, then I started to listen to The Beastie Boys, then Cypress Hill, then House Of Pain, then a skater friend lent me a cassete tape with ODB's Return To The 36 Chambers...

In '96 a Fijiian guy from school who I was kind of friends with, moved in down the road from me. His older sister worked at a music shop and had an ever expanding shoebox of hip hop cd's she got from work. Nothing but pure classics. It was that era. So I'd borrow them in clumps and record them to cassette. One of them was Cuban Linx. I don't think I really knew wtf was going on or even properly who the Wu-Tang Clan were (though I'd seen the name all over hip hop magazines), but I loved that fucking tape. I still have memories of listening to it while I did my pamphlet run (letterbox catalogue shit).

Then Forever dropped and I got a second hand copy and it was absolutely my shit. Some other friends got into it too.

I had Tical really early on too. Maybe before either of those. But it didn't have a big impact on me. I still don't rate it as a very outstanding album, though about half of it is classic material.

I got 36 Chambers not long after Forever too, and that was again totally me and my mates' shit.

I was a skater too btw. I still remember there was a World skateboards demo at a skatepark not too far from me, and my friend's dad drove him and me there. It was Kareem Campbell, Daewon Song, and Marcus McBride. Daewon didn't skate though cos his ankle was fucked. Anyway, they were blasting music during it, I think mostly if not all hip hop, and I remember them playing A Better Tomorrow and It's Yourz, from Forever. It would've been 97', when that shit was fresh.

My first experience was in 2005. Sitting in a Pizza shop, a 10 minute walk from my house, with my mate, who played me Da Mystery of Chessboxin. Never really was into hip hop properly before that experience. Sure, i liked a couple songs by DMX when they came on TV, but i wasn't a head at all. My favourite songs were mostly rock songs. Bands like RHCP, radiohead, etc.
    It's the god, god.

PRODIGAL SUN

I moved from staten island to south jersey in dec 94. I was in 2nd grade. As soon as i moved everytime i came back to my cousins houses theyd tell me about it and play some. I wasnt HOOKED until dec 95 over school break when i heard liquid swords.

went home and bought 36 chambers, prolly sometime winter/spring early 96, then i bought hell on earth and ironman new. Liquid swords was 4th. I remember asking my bextdoor neighbor who was atleast 10 years older than me if he had the infamous that i could copy on tape. He looked at me like u had a thousand heads.

Close to 1995 - 2023 have I been a fan.

when i finally got a pc in 2001, i started with the forums. Dsc. Wutangworld. 5 elements (this sites original version. Whout out to b fists. I miss mark mayoa. into chambermusik until like 06 or so. Never left here tho.

Wu still number 1 for me. I make my own music now i dont put it online at all but i got quite the lil catalog for a nobody imo. All cuz of wu. I learned from them how to adapt styles into something new.

First I bought the 8 Mile more music soundtrack somewhere around December/January 2002/2003.
    It had All I Need (Bad Boy Remix), C.R.E.A.M., and Shimmy Shimmy Ya on it.
    ODB’s song was my favoirte.
    I bought Tical 0 thanks to the All I Need Remix.
    It wasn’t till 8 Diagrams & Bobby Digital’s Digi Snacks that I realized the dopeness Wu Tang was.
    Because I loved those albums and they weren’t that great compared to their previous work.
    Still love those albums today.

Shaolin Master

My first real Wu-experience was in the summer of 1997, when the Triumph video dropped. My friend had shown it to me and my brother. I had just turned 11 yrs old. I never liked hip hop, up until that point. When I heard that song and saw that video, I was hooked ever since. It was Wu-tang everything for me. I wanted more and more. Killarmy, Sunz of man, Gravediggaz, all the previouse clan albums and solos. That was an unforgettable experience for me. That's up there with the birth of my son, daughter, nephew and other great moments in my life. I felt like after experiencing Wu, it was like a coming of age experience for me. Kinda like I started to know what time it was. Peace.

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

mannnnnnnnnnnnnnn first memory exposure w/ the wu was watching the box music video channel when i was living back and forth between Queens, NY and Syracuse NY in seeing "protect yo neck" on there and then soon later copping enter the 36 chambers w/my cousin and we bump that tape til it popped. Ive prolly had multiple copies of allot the early wu releases becauses cd's broke or tapes popped.