Thread: Ghostface Killah - Tony's Money [Unreleased]

Default Ghostface Killah - Tony's Money [Unreleased]

What's the history of this track?

was this ever on a promo wax or cd? trying to get a HQ version.
    It's the god, god.

PRODIGAL SUN

Yea it had a promo release im sure.try soulseek i still find old vls releases there

Shaolin Master

Quote Originally Posted by grt05 View Post
    What's the history of this track?
    Ghostface did a feature for De La Soul but felt he didn't get paid soon enough so he leaked the beat w/ his verse himself before their album or the song proper dropped. He says the situation pretty blatantly in the intro w/o naming names & the chorus flips 'Pretty Tony & De La Soul' from their version to "Pretty Tony should have got his dough." People didn't even know it was about De La until around the time their album was going to drop and people saw it was the same song.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddah_MAC View Post
    Ghostface did a feature for De La Soul but felt he didn't get paid soon enough so he leaked the beat w/ his verse himself before their album or the song proper dropped. He says the situation pretty blatantly in the intro w/o naming names & the chorus flips 'Pretty Tony & De La Soul' from their version to "Pretty Tony should have got his dough." People didn't even know it was about De La until around the time their album was going to drop and people saw it was the same song.

Damn, either forgot or this one completely eluded me.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

Wu-Veteran

Ghosts version was ������ i remember when it leaked just before Pretty Toney Released. Ghost had Wu on his back at that time. "THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN NIGGAZ SEND ME SHIT...AND DONT PAY ME MY FUCKIN MONEY!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Buddah_MAC View Post

Just noticed they quoted De La on genius in regard to the situation.

MVRemix: What exactly happened with Ghostface through "Toney's Money"/"He Comes"?

Posdnuos: Basically we did the song, we got in touch with Ghost, we're big fans of him and wanted to do a song but as well, one again, until we'd felt we'd found the correct song to help that marriage be complete, it would just be until it happened. So finally, we had that particular song. We worked everything out. He did the song. But I guess one of Ghost's problems was he wanted to make sure he got the money before he released the vocals. We didn't have the actual vocals, we got a copy of how it came out and everything was everything. I guess unfortunately our management and his management weren't being clear to us and him. So from his viewpoint, he kept hearing about us talking about how we had a song with Ghost and he hadn't got paid yet, and his own management weren't being clear what was going on.

So he maybe felt like "I don't want these motherfuckers to put this song out and leak it, and they haven't paid me." He just explained to me about being frustrated and not knowing what was going on... he leaked his own verse to be like "Well fuck it, we ain't gonna do the song 'cause now I leaked my verse." He did apologize, we met up with him at one of his shows and everything was cool. He let us know where his frustration lied, we let him know that we didn't understand or knew that anything like that was a problem, because unless someone said it was a problem, we didn't know it was a problem.

We worked all that out and we decided lets try and find another song once again, and whenever that song comes about, we'll use it. But we let it understood that "We want to still use this song for ourselves regardless, so why don't we just keep your verse," and that's what we did.

source: https://www.mvremix.com/urban/interviews/delasoul.shtml
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997