Thread: Kool Keith

Default Kool Keith

Kool Keith is the only rap act I really ever loved as much as Wu-Tang. But his new shit is really depressing, man. He's a vet who's past middle aged so its natural that he slows down, but dude aged like 20 years in the last 10. Keith is obviously bugged out and weird but dude just seems depressed every new song and interview. His music was always on some left-field shit even when he tried to be popular and beef with bigger rappers, but now its like a guy having a midlife crisis. Every track is about cars, clothes, pussy - the type of shit he used to diss rappers for rapping about. I know he got married and his new wife is his manager. She puts herself in a lot of his interviews now and has to be the influence making him make cliche songs. At the same time, it seems like he's more financially stable than ever. Its good to see him retire with a little money after decades of rejecting it. But damn the music is garbage now.

I think that beef he had with Jacky Jasper just broke him. Jacky made fun of him for losing his teeth. Ever since then, Keith has tried to be a hard street rapper lol and hidden his face as much as possible. There's always been something wrong with him. He's a narcissist on some level. Plus, his gimmick has always been clowning other guys. Now he really can't talk shit anymore because he's an easy target. He's also gotten really fat and seems drunk most of the time.

I hope dude pulls himself together. Hate to see his career end with him being a miserable angry old man getting tricked out of his money. Keith has kinda ended up as rap's Brian Wilson. At the same time, he burned tons of people through his career so now no one really looks out for him except the Ultramagnetic MCs, who he's dissed tons of times. Ego Trippin'.
    "Why are you looking hard with a hood on and Timberland boots, staring at me for one hour..? When you could walk up and shake my hand? Why?"

Kool Keith, "Intro" Black Elvis/Lost in Space

Veteran Member

I was never a huge fan, but didn't mind him either. This track though...while not new, this was my shit

I don't expect most Wu head to like him. He's really the opposite of their style, even tho they have a lot of influences in common. Its funny he's done songs with a lot of the Clan: U-God, Meth, ODB, maybe RZA and Deck too. He can be great but he's the perfect example of a super smart guy with no knowledge of self. He raps about foolishness most of the time and I always wished someone made him rap seriously about real shit. He's taken shots at RZA and been jealous at Wu getting major doing stuff Ultramagnetic maybe started. Always wondered if Wu were inspired by Ultra early on. Probably just RZA because they're both geeks.
    "Why are you looking hard with a hood on and Timberland boots, staring at me for one hour..? When you could walk up and shake my hand? Why?"

Kool Keith, "Intro" Black Elvis/Lost in Space