5 3.31%
  • poor

1 0.66%
  • wack

1 0.66%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ghostface - The Pretty Toney Album

Default Ghostface - The Pretty Toney Album

What do you all think? It was the first Ghostface album I got (I'm kinda new to Wu), and it really got me into Ghostface. But I stopped listening to it after I got Supreme Clientele and Cuban Linx, those albums are classics. But Prett Toney is definetely not all bad, just not Ghostface at his very best. I still dig Holla, Biscuits, and Be This Way.

FRESH FISH

It's defenitly not an album for a lot of users on this site... But personally I think it's a straight banger.. Great music... WAAAAY better than BPW in my opinion..

DEVIL BASTARD!!! PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bergs
    It's defenitly not an album for a lot of users on this site...
    thats their fucking loss

FRESH FISH

Quote Originally Posted by PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
    thats their fucking loss
    Amen...

1.Intro
    2.Biscuits - 5/5
    3.Kunta Fly Shit - 4.5/5
    4.Beat The Clock - 4.5/5
    5.Metal Lungies - 5/5
    6.Bathtub (Skit)
    7.Save Me Dear - 4.5/5
    8.Its Over - 5/5
    9.Keisha's House (Skit)
    10.Tush - 4/5
    11.Last Night (Skit)
    12.Holla - 5/5
    13.Ghostface - 4/5
    14.Be This Way - 4/5
    15.The Letter (Skit)
    16.Tooken Back - 4.5/5
    17.Run - 5/5 (DOPE)
    18.Love - 4.5/5

Overall, this album is dope. GFK comes correct lyrically, and the production is quite dope. Seems like something is left out, don't know exactly what but its a good drop by Ghost.
    Last edited by Rebel_INS; 10-09-2006 at 11:46 PM.

Wu Vatican

Real soulful album with only like 3 not that great tracks. It's like an 8/10 album for me personally.

It is interesting to see how Ghost has dealt with being on a commercial label. Def Jam fucked with this album so its hard to really digest this album as truely being representative of Ghost. I would call this Ghost's worst album. Too much of it sounds like a mixtape. Too much of it is too soft.

The standout tracks are "Biscuits", "Beat the Clock", and "Run"

The lowpoint is an absurd teaming with Missy Elliot on "Tush". Ghost's career lowpoint. This album is no classic, it almost couldn't be with Def Jam's filthy fingers, but it builds on Ghost's stellar career. Some ten years ago, I would never have predicted that Ghost would have one of the best solo careers going in the clan.

But it was all a progression period for Ghost. He learned a lot from his experience with this album. He made a Theodore unit album to compliment this album. And then he learned how to beat the system of being on a major record label that only cares about sales and has no ear for music. We see how Ghost does that with his next outing: Fishscale.

FRESH FISH

seriously: why does everybody hate on tush? it's one of the best "commercial" hiphop songs ever if you ask me

Trippin' off the beat kinda, drippin' off the meat grinder
    Heat nina, pimpin', strippin' soft sweat minor
    China was a neat signer, trouble with the script digits
    Double dip, bubble lips, subtlest midget

MF Doom

Audio System/Diamond ShaolinDarts's Avatar

Personally not for me. A very poor album to me and easily one of the worst Wu Tang solo's to. Its very incoherent and very cheesy.

Biscuits and Beat the Clock are the only stand out tracks for me and the album is way too long and full of corny and cheesy beat jacking. Beats are very poor and for the most part the lyrics are uninspired. I don't listen to this more than once when it goes in rotation. Also the cd recording is very poor. The mid and higher levels have obviously been boosted which makes them come of very harsh.

On the positive side, the bass in some of the tracks is sick. Tush has an alternating bass line where the sub goes down into the lower regions of the bass, Ghostface has very hard hitting deep bass as does tooken back and save me dear, Biscuits has a highish bass line, Metal Lungies is punchy.

My score 2/5.
    That's why we do the do, just know who is who, acknowledge me all day, and understand Wu is Wu - Chef Raekwon

I'm hood ornaments, junkies win awards in my tournaments - Chef Raekwon

Damn man I respect everybody's opinion but shit some a y'all sleepin. This album is a banga man. Yeah it ain't Ghost's best, yeah it aint the best solo Wu-Tang album but that don't mean it isn't good. Run, Beat the Clock, Biscuits, and of course those dope ass soul beats. My moms is real into Soul and I been listenin to that shit for a long time so when Ghost samples that shit i'm right at home. Save Me Dear, Be That Way, and Holla are all ill. Shit Holla is prolly one of my top 10 Ghost tracks of all time.

8.5/10

"We don't need no diamond rings
    All we need is a drum like
    Fuck it, he can rhyme, I'll sing"

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Ok, this cd is average to me but its not wack, this is his wackest cd if u were to rank them.Its got bangers on there but it just dosent get that much replay value, the lyrics are nice I just dont like all these oldies tracks, I mean mostly every track was like that and they were beats that turned me off, the production was aiight though 3.5/5, lyrics 4.5/5, overall this is 4/5.It was nice but couldve been better...
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Audio System/Diamond ShaolinDarts's Avatar

^^4/5 is alot for something that you are saying is average.
    That's why we do the do, just know who is who, acknowledge me all day, and understand Wu is Wu - Chef Raekwon

I'm hood ornaments, junkies win awards in my tournaments - Chef Raekwon

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Lol i guess so, its a banger!
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Take away Ghostface, Tush and 2 more tracks (forgot the names) and you get a sick album. The album is sick anyway. But these tracks brought it down a little bit.

its an overall near-classic effort IMO
    i play this album all the way thru....Tush, Ghostface, and Tooken Back are ILL commercial tracks...i dunno what yall smokin'
    a.k.a. The Difference saying check out my 1st video