Page 651 of 654 FirstFirst ... 151551601641642643644645646647648649650651652653654 LastLast
Results 9,751 to 9,765 of 9803

Thread: Soccer

I also have problems with the invitee formula. Every season 5 clubs will get an invite. On what basis? Boatloads of money and under the table player transfer arrangements?

This Super Leagua has scandal ingrained in it
    Retired.

I don't think the German clubs will say yes, because of their fans, with the 50%+ fan ownership rule
    Retired.

Well the German clubs have rejected the proposal. Probably because the fans would say no to it. Florentino Perez Madrid's President said they didn't invite the German clubs but that makes no sense cause Bayern would be the first club you'd invite.

It's just ridiculous. They seem certain that UEFA and Fifa won't be able to do anything to them. Ceferin said he wanted all players banned from international competition. Rumours are by Friday the clubs will be banned from the Champions League to. I'm all for punishing these clubs to the max. Not only ban them from European competition but relagate them from their own leagues.

Some of the comments coming out of the clubs is just infuriating. They basically want endless cash whether they are good or not. So the entire notion of meritocracy in football goes out the window. These clubs are basically saying they don't want teams like Leicester City to win the Premier League. They don't want to be knocked out by Gladbach in the second round of the CL, or get beaten down by Dinamo Zagreb on a Thursday night.

They want their own NBA. Already talk of US networks buying the TV rights.

Imagine social platforms or streaming platforms buying the rights. Facebook, Amazon (Prime), Netflix etc. They'd be able to outbid regular US stations.

Maybe COVID made it all happen more quickly. These clubs (and many others) have seen more or less zero return the last season and a half. Spanish clubs, just to name one example, have been virtually broke for a long time if you make abstraction of govrrnment issued prop up money. If governments start getting their priorities straight under COVID duress some of these 'rich' clubs will get into serious trouble.
    Retired.

I was all for this idea but it seems a bit rushed and shady?

There's a lot going on this evening in terms of communication and meetings. It looks like the 12 clubs are having second thoughts now because of extremely negative backlash from fans, press and UEFA

Who knows what will happen in the following days but there's a chance now that the Super League is dead in the water. If so, some higher ups at a few of these clubs are probably gonna have to leave to appease fans.
    Retired.

Looks like it's finished before it started. Man City have announced they are pulling out, Chelsea will also do the same.

Even if teams pull out they should still be punished in some way.

Yep, looks like it's over. All English clubs are out. There was severe government pressure.

In other news, who'd have thought before this season that Schalke04 would ever drop out of the Bundesliga? This must be one of the worst seasons in all of history for a successful club in any soccer competition. To win only two games ... wow
    Retired.

Schalke have been doing bad for a while now but to be this poor and getting relegated is something else. Has to be the biggest named team to get relegated in a while. Mind you Turkey's current champions Basaksehir are in the drop zone in Turkey with only 6 games left. A champion getting relegated the very next season would be a first.

As for the Super League. Juve, Milan and Real Madrid are still in it. The failure of it has been spectacular, Liverpools owner even issued an apology video. There still needs to be change at UEFA and club competiton. At the moment I think the Europa League is fucking useless. They need to bump up prize money for it. The new CL format they introduced with 36 teams is stupid to.

Problem is now that with the revenue of the Premier League, Italian and Spanish sides are struggling. I get Agnelli's point about Juventus's revenue not increasing at all due to prize money from the CL basically being locked. In the same time Juve have been spending more but still don't earn as much as much less successful teams like Tottenham and Arsenal. That's a Serie A issue though and Juve are partly to blame for it. Though I blame the bad management of the Milan sides more for the fall of Serie A's popularity.

As for La Liga. I mean Barca and Real have raped that league for their own benefit. They took huge chunks of TV revenue for themselves the money was never distributed fairly. It left teams like Valencia to rot away. Sevilla the Europa League gods can't compete. They've been winning a European trophy on many occasions yet don't have the money to compete in La Liga and the CL.

European football first massive financial overhaul and these greedy teams need to look around and realise that competiton will generate more money.

lol pretty incredible

COVID-hit River Plate win with midfielder Enzo Perez in goal, no substitutes, in Copa Libertadores (South American Champions League)

https://indianexpress.com/article/sp...eport-7322614/

the 'goal keeper' who played was injured too

dayum
    Retired.

Argentina win the Copa America against Brazil - the classic final

So Messi finally wins an endgame for his country ... on his fifth try

Did anyone get to see the game? They didn't show it round here.
    Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
    Argentina win the Copa America against Brazil - the classic final

So Messi finally wins an endgame for his country ... on his fifth try

Did anyone get to see the game? They didn't show it round here.
    Yeah it was a pretty dull game. Constantly stopped cause both sides went real hard with the tackles. Argentina though in the end deserved it. Messi didn't play well in the final, I mean near the end he missed a big big opportunity he completely fucked up his footing. All tournament though he was pretty damn good.

Big final tonight. Surely England wins this, I don't think they will get a better chance. De-facto host nation a pretty comfortable run to the final where they play a good but old team. I expect a pretty boring match with England winning 1-0 or something.

I too think the Three Lions will win. Home advantage and easier opponents earlier on. Italy is a dangerous team but England will win.
    Retired.

I don't watch football much but I enjoyed some of the games I saw in this championship, Portugal and France were pretty entertaining.

I hope it's not a boring final that gets defensive or is too much of a walkover.

Also England sort of shouldn't have won against Denmark, the penalty shouldn't have been given.

Southgate shit the bed with his choices in the penalties. Nobody would have picked those 3 guys out of a team with proven entities.