Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What killed conscious rap?

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

Default What killed conscious rap?

Public Enemy, Boogie Down Productions, Brand Nubian... In late 80's and early 90's they ruled the hip-hop scene. Then they disappeared. Why did this kind of hip-hop die so suddenly, and why it didn't appear on the surface never again?

Quoting KRS-One: "Lyrical syllables interlock in my voicebox / Yet I'm still unknown like the X on Sadat..."
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

aint shit killed , the reason u aint findin it no more , is coz muthafuckers stopped takin time to look for it

not only that funky but when u got quazi homosexual emcees "braggin" about their possesions and what they could be doing with their time. rather than making real music, they rather rhyme symplistic words with no actually thought behind it. Music is supposed to have a message, The message now-a-days is 90% of hip-hop is party and bullshit.
    http://images.meez.com/user07/3/9/3/0/8/3/9/3930839_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Wu Vatican

it started turning into a business. dudes were saying something in their raps because it needed to be said. then they saw a profit could be made out of it and down sunk the ship.
    The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

These lyrics seem perfect for the theme of this thread

"In extra long verses hundred bars the lim’
    The percentage of the truth in the rhyme is one tenth
    A solid mass of minerals, easily broke down
    Hard rock MC’s ya nothin but compound
    Sparked by the endless greed of CEO’s
    in the videos with those questionable flows"

This is the reason the call HIM THE GENIUS
    Whether Im In The Streets Or Jamaica Resort
    Im Stay Doin Me Thats The Way I Was Taught
    Destined For Greatness Success Breeds Hatred
    I Can't See In The Hearts Of Men I Just See Paper

soceities gettin dumber, no one wants to listen to concious rap its too complex for them. because they want to live the so-called high life with all the bling and chrome they get fooled to listening to the rap we have today. There are too many people dreaming of that life, people who cant face reality. The more they listen to this so-called rap bullshit the dumber they get.
    concious rap is finished only a few will listen to it.

Diesel

Default ....

the white man (devil) destroyed hiphop because they saw it as a way blacks were becming smarter and spreading knowledge they want to keep people dumb deaf and blind thats why you have to ressurrect theyre minds

Quote Originally Posted by HAN88
    soceities gettin dumber, no one wants to listen to concious rap its too complex for them. because they want to live the so-called high life with all the bling and chrome they get fooled to listening to the rap we have today. There are too many people dreaming of that life, people who cant face reality. The more they listen to this so-called rap bullshit the dumber they get.
    concious rap is finished only a few will listen to it.
    Yeah, as those 90% who are blind, deaf, dumb who wanna listen to tha bullshit and the small percent who know its bullshit and still listen
    All of us make up part of that percentage of the enlightened people who listen to the intelligence with a conscious mind

definition of conscious Mentally perceptive or alert; awake

this has nuttin to do with race dont start that shit...

from my point of view (although im sure there are more reasons) i think that labels wanted artists that would appeal to the public more, so instead of mcs makin one or two commercial songs on their album which is necessary, they create an album completely focused on reachin the pop charts

then nobody took notice of conscious rap except for the true listener
    Last edited by Funk_Dock; 03-24-2006 at 02:38 PM.

still standin tall

^ yeah very true like Wu Tang, I was readin this interview that they did wit U-God and thats the shit he was sayin hes like they wanted us to be mainstream and thats not who we are, He also said that thats why that didn't play the Clan on the radio because they was using Knowledge in their shit and they was wakin to many people up to real Hip Hop

it ain't about race
    Last edited by King Justice; 03-24-2006 at 08:57 PM.

GENERAL WISE

When faggit punk rock music took it over.
    and 50 cents "i AM A G FROM THE STREETS (Not the 2pac way{Dear Mama" image.

Ok, we've established what's wrong with Hip Hop nowadays and why it was better in the Golden Age. Can we please move on and stop making 3 threads a day realizing that Hip Hop isn't how it used to be? Quit focusing on the past and focus on the present ya'll. If you think Hip Hop is dead then leave it alone. You backpackaz need to stop talking about it and just be about it.

WHAT'S GOING ON?

People change, and hiphop changes with it. Society became more materialistic, so it was just natural for hiphop to follow along with it.
    ]browndogg*]

Veteran Member

money.

Quote Originally Posted by poop one
    money.
    that's what I was gonna say too.

RZA said something in a 1997 interview about how "the world wants to dance, so they listen to Puffy, but when people want to take a look at themselves, and think, they pop in that Wu-Tang cd." (not a direct quote). So now, since 85% of society are dumb, deaf, and blind, Wu-Tang is waaay over their heads.

"This is my book, take a look, see if it grabs your attention, with a hook, the queen took the rook, into a new dimension" Tajeco