Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket thread

penalty boxed user

Habibul out to bash England

Times Online and agencies Habibul Bashar, the Bangladesh captain, has hit back at the doubters who have questioned his team's right to be in the Super Eight and insisted victory against England could put them on track for the last four.

Basher has led his country to historic wins over India and South Africa during this year's tournament, and has now targeted Michael Vaughan's side, who they face in Barbados on Wednesday.

"We have a good chance to make the semi-finals if we can beat England," he said. "The English team has some good players but they are not playing well in the World Cup. So it will not be impossible to beat them."

Bashar also hit out at the critics who claim that the elimination of India and Pakistan was bad for the tournament.

"It seems that at any cost India and Pakistan should be included in the Super Eight," he added. "They are not mentioning that India and Pakistan lost two out of their three first round matches. If this attitude persists, one should organise a 'Top Ranking Cup' instead of the World Cup, where the teams will play according to their rankings.

"The World Cup is not the property of one or two teams. It belongs to everyone and the best team will win the cup. Instead of spoiling the show, Bangladesh have made the World Cup more interesting. There are now plenty of teams fighting for the semi-finals."

Mohammad Ashraful

He is only 22 but is already regarded as the countrys best batsman. His name is also associated with three of the outstanding feats accomplished by a Bangladesh batsman. For starters at the age of 17 he became the youngest from any country to make a Test century. This was against Sri Lanka in 2001-2002 at Colombo when he hit 114 in a losing cause. Making light of an attack that included Muthiah Muralitharan Ashraful caught the eye with his dashing batsmanship and was hailed as a star. But after this heady start he endured a string of disappointing scores and was dropped when England toured Bangladesh in 2003-2004. He was back against India the following season when again in a losing cause he hit a glorious undefeated 158 at Chittagong. Wisden was gushing in praise.Ashraful played the innings of the tour. His forthright biffing of the fast bowlers "hooking while hopping on one leg a la Gordon Greenidge" and his effervescent thwacking of the spinners got the crowd to its feet. He raced to his 50 from 70 balls then needed just 55 more to reach his second Test century going from 76 to three figures with seven consecutive scoring shots. If anything that spurred him on for he unfurled such authoritative and audacious strokes that India were forced to spread the field to him, close it in to his partners and hope for a mistake. The mistake never came from Ashraful who scored 158 not out from only 194 balls with 24 fours and three sixes beating the previous best by Bangladesh "Aminul Islams 145 in the inaugural Test also against India".A few months later he confirmed his rising stature with a brilliant 100 that set up Bangladeshs astonishing victory over Australia in the NatWest series at Cardiff.

this guy is amaizing with the bat almost like some cricket martial arts
    Last edited by RAMESH; 04-11-2007 at 09:40 AM.

Nice thread.

I thought poms were the whingers.

penalty boxed user

England scrape through

The two Paul’s - Nixon and Collingwood - stuck it out to take England to a highly unconvincing 4-wicket win over Bangladesh.
    Nixon finished off the match by slamming Mashrafe Mortaza to the leg side boundary. He earlier hit Rafique straight back down the ground for a six.

That apart it was a big struggle for Collingwood and Nixon as the Bangladesh bowlers fought till the very end. There were three maidens in a row before England finally managed to get home in the 45th over

Collingwood remained unbeaten on 23 from 74 balls while Nixon was not out on 20 from 39 balls.
    Rafique’s double strike gives Bangladesh hope

Mohammad Rafique cleaned up Andrew Flintoff and Ravi Bopara in the same over as England stumbled to 117/6 after 35 overs.

Flintoff failed to read an arm ball from Rafique and was clean bowled for a quickfire 23.

Ravi Bopara came in and was unlucky to be out for a duck. His defensive stroke sent the ball onto his boot, which deflected back onto the stumps.

Flintoff seemed to be in a hurry to finish off the game before Rafique got the better of him. The England all-rounder slammed Rafique for boundaries through midwicket and the covers in the same over. In Rafique’s next over, he charged down the track and slammed him over long-on for six. But Rafique had the last laugh.
    Razzak gets Vaughan, Pietersen

England were making heavy weather of chasing a small Bangladesh total.

Michael Vaughan missed a great opportunity to play himself into some kind of form. He got a reasonable start reaching 30 before top edging a sweep off Abdur Razzak as his opposite number Habibul Bashar, also struggling for runs, held on the simplest of chances.

Kevin Pietersen was kept quite for a while. Trying to give momentum to his innings, he charged down the track and hit Abdur Razzak to midwicket. Unfortunately for him, the ball found a fielder and England had lost their best batsman.

There were only a couple of boundaries hit by the English batsmen. Collingwood hit Razzak over long-on and Flintoff drove the same bowler through extra-cover.

Despite putting up a modest total, the Bangladeshi bowlers were putting up a brave fight. Syed Rasel bowled his 10 overs in one spell, finishing with excellent figures of 2/25.

Mohammad Rafique continued the good work for Bangladesh, bowling consecutive maiden overs.

Saqibul Hasan came into bowl the 27th over and conceded only 1 run as England crawled to 86/4.
    Strauss fails again

Syed Rasel got his second wicket by trapping Andrew Strauss lbw for 23. Strauss tried to turn an incoming delivery on the on side but failed to get a bat on it and was declared out.

Strauss fell just when he was beginning to look dangerous. He pulled Mortaza to midwicket for a six and cut him behind point for four in the 11th over.

Mortaza had kept it very tight until them, not giving the English batsmen any room to free their arms.

Syed Rasel was superb at the other end, choking the batsmen by maintaining an excellent line and length and was rightly rewarded.

Michael Vaughan tried to break the shackles by running Abdul Razzak down to the third man for a boundary.

Bangladesh did a commendable job, restricting England to 50/2 after 15 overs.
    England lose Bell

Chasing Bangladesh’s paltry total of 143, England got off to a bad start as they lost opener Ian Bell in the 4th over for a duck.

Bell tried to drive Syed Rasel through covers but ended up slicing a catch to a diving Aftab Ahmed at point.

Michael Vaughan got off the mark in style, cover driving Mashrafe Mortaza for a boundary. He was lucky to survive though when he nicked one behind the wickets off Rasel but the keeper standing up could not latch on the ball. The England skipper celebrated it by slapping the bowler for a four through midwicket

He was joined by Andrew Strauss at the other end as England went to lunch at 21/1 after 6 overs.

We need to improve: Vaughan

England put up a shoddy batting performance chasing Bangladesh’s small total of 143 but managed to scramble to victory by 4 wickets.

The English skipper Michael Vaughan had no hesitation in acknowledging that his side needs to pull up their socks. “There a few areas we definitely need to improve on going into the future games. Maybe we should have been more positive.”

He went on add though that it was tough to beat Bangladesh. “Full credit to the Bangladesh side. They are not an easy opponent. Just a few days ago they beat South Africa and they also got the better of India in the first round. We are happy that we managed to cross the line,” said a relieved Vaughan.

On the positives from the match Vaughan said, ‘Sajid Mahmood was terrific upfront and he got very good support from the other bowlers too.”

Vaughan felt that the experience of playing on the Kensington Oval pitch will help them in the next two games. “We have learnt a lot from today’s game and I am sure it will stand us in good stead for the games against South Africa and West Indies to be played here.”

He however added that he was still unsure whether to bat or bowl on that pitch.

Bangladesh skipper did not try to defend his team’s lack of ability against the short ball. “When you play at this level, you should be prepared to face all kinds of challenges. I think we were at least 60-70 runs short.”

He did shower praises on the way his team fought back though. “I am really happy with the way the boys played in the latter half of the match. We will try to put up good performances in next two matches also.”

Man of the Match Sajid Mahmood said, ‘I really enjoyed bowling on this pitch. It offered good pace and bounce.”

Sajid Mahmood

penalty boxed user

Lara to retire from one-day cricket

West Indies captain Brian Lara has confirmed he will retire from one-day cricket after the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007 following yesterday's 67-run defeat against South Africa. The loss in Grenada ended all realistic hopes of the hosts reaching the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007 semi-finals.
    "I think this is the end of my one-day career, for sure," Lara told the ICC. "I honestly feel my game is over and we should give it to one of the younger players. It's really tough playing one-day internationals out there.
    "After the World Cup the next one-day tournament for the West Indies is in June in England and I'd love to sit back and watch and see the team do well. I want to leave a team that plays better. And that is still my hope."
    Lara has vowed to carry on playing Test cricket past his 40th birthday and said he wanted to leave the one-day team on a high note. "These might be my last two one-day internationals but I still want to see the team moving out of this competition learning something from it and that's all I can hope for. It's demoralising, yes, but I want to see certain things happen and I want to see the team move on."
    "I thought we tried our best. But South Africa played better than us. They were in a do-or-die situation; they came up trumps, showed their class and why they were number one [in the International Cricket Council one-day rankings] until a few days ago. They were outstanding, and we were outplayed."
    Lara has played in 297 one-day internationals since his making his debut against Pakistan in Karachi in 1990, scoring 10,354 runs, at an average of 40.60, with a highest score of 169.

penalty boxed user

New Zealand v Sri Lanka, Super Eights, Grenada
    Two worthy winners press their claims
    If there had been a pre-tournament poll of matches to whet the appetite, it's a safe bet that New Zealand against Sri Lanka - two nations overshadowed to the point of parody by brasher neighbours - would not have set many pulses racing. Suddenly, however, their clash in Grenada on Thursday is being viewed in a very different light

Stephen Fleming

Muttiah Muralitharan is the center of attention after scalping Mahendra Singh Dhoni, India v Sri Lanka, Group B, Trinidad, March 23, 2007

penalty boxed user

2 great teams sri lank & new zealand
    i predict sri lanka is going to win but it's going to be a very close game

Banned

new zealand exposed for the pretenders that they are ... very ordinary batting performance ... muralitharan steals another 3 wickets ... although the kiwis shake it beyond 200 SL shud chop it down ...
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

penalty boxed user

i wish i could watch that match
    i love watching muralitheran bowl

penalty boxed user

Easy win for Sri Lanka

AFP Chaminda Vaas ensured Sri Lanka didn't miss Lasith Malinga by removing New Zealand's top three in a six-wicket ICC CWC Super Eight win at Grenada's National Stadium.

Sri Lanka, set 220 to win, finished on 222 for four to move level on eight points with New Zealand and champions Australia, who have played four games to their title-rivals five.

Sanath Jayasuriya, who made 64, and Kumar Sangakkara, unbeaten on 69, shared a second wicket stand of exactly 100 in 21 overs that all but sealed victory for Sri Lanka after left-arm quick Vaas took three for 33.

Thursday's defeat, with 39 balls to spare, left New Zealand still needing one more win from their final two Super Eight games, both in Grenada, against South Africa on Saturday and Australia a week Friday, to be certain of a semi-final spot.

And the loss also saw them fall one short of equalling their 2004 record of 10 straight one-day international wins after they'd played one of the leading contenders in this ICC CWC for the first time.

Sri Lanka return here Monday to face Australia.

Vaas, 33, dismissed both New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming and Ross Taylor for nought before all-rounder Scott Styris, in at four for two, scored more than half his side's runs with a composed 111 not out.

The Black Caps couldn't afford any drops but they missed Sangakkara on nine when he played early at a slower ball from spearhead quick Shane Bond only for Craig McMillan to floor the chance at mid-on.

First change Mark Gillespie saw his opening over of the tournament cost 17 runs, Jayasuriya dismissing his first two balls for six and four in the bowler's comeback match following a right shoulder injury.

Sri Lanka posted a run-a-ball fifty before Fleming dropped Jayasuriya, on 30, at short mid-wicket off Gillespie.

Jayasuriya completed a 65-ball fifty with one six and three fours.

However, his cut off Jacob Oram was held by Brendon McCullum, the wicket-keeper standing up, Sri Lanka 130 for two.

Left-arm spinner Daniel Vettori then became only the third New Zealander after Chris Harris (203) and Chris Cairns (200) to take 200 one-day international wickets when he had Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene caught at mid-wicket by substitute fielder Hamish Marshall for 15.

Sangakkara eased his way to an 86 ball fifty with one four.

Earlier off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan, like Vaas and Jayasuriya a member of Sri Lanka's 1996 ICC CWC-winning side, took three for 32 after the quick's early strikes.

Murali joined Malinga - ruled out with left ankle ligament damage - and Australia's Glenn McGrath as the tournament's leading wicket-taker with 15.

Vaas needed just five balls to have opener Fleming lbw for nought.

Taylor, in for Marshall after a hamstring injury sidelined him for four games, then edged Vaas and keeper Sangakkara held a diving, one-handed catch.

Styris - who took 20 balls to get off the mark - counter-attacked and was severe on Farveez Maharoof, Malinga's replacement and the only change to the side that beat England by two runs in Antigua.

New Zealand went 19 overs without a boundary until Oram struck spinner Tillakaratne Dilshan for six.

But two balls later, he skied to long-on where Maharoof held a fine catch.

Styris, 31, completed his fourth hundred in 130 matches at this level, off 152 balls, by pulling fast bowler Dilhara Fernando for his seventh boundary before smashing the last ball of the innings, from Vaas, to the rope.

Sanath Jayasuriya

Last edited by RAMESH; 04-13-2007 at 05:29 AM.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

I was worried when Malinga went down withthe ankle injury, but Murali stepped up and showed why hes the best in the world. Dilshan did well in his first few overs too.

Ireland are currently 88-9!!! Oz will kill them, i doubt theyre gonna get to 100......

Banned

easy win for us ... tomorrow night GO NZ ...

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

penalty boxed user

i predict we will win the match comfortably it's only a matter of time before we take back our no.1 spot

Jacques Kallis

Last edited by RAMESH; 04-13-2007 at 06:06 PM.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

SA doesnt have enough variety in bowling, no real spinners. You shouldve lost v Sri Lanka if theyd of done theyre usual good batting and you were lucky at the end not to be bowled out

Banned

south africa reclaim their #1 spot LOL the rankings are bullshit ... we beat everyone every year ... we lose one series against south african then lose our home series and all of a sudden SA are number one ? ... how about when south africa are as consistant for as long a period as we are then maybe they become number one ... GOOOO KIWIS ...

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

penalty boxed user

we played really well in 06 much better than what we playing now
    largley due that our premium bowlers (ntini & polock) is not in form
    but in 06 till before the world cup we dominated cricket
    we might not get our spot back if our bowlers don't get their shit together but if they do then we got it