Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Cricket thread

good stuff, australia really did dominate the tournament in all, not losing one match.

i thought it was a good world cup though, i bit of a shame that there were some sides there that shouldnt have been,.

Banned

ramesh ... change the title of the thread to the offical cricket page or some shit ... so we can keep updating with shit around the world when our countries are on tour and shit ... and yes we must bug the mods to sticky this shit ...
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

penalty boxed user

australia destroyed evry team in it's path
    evry match was an anialation but i did see some weaknesses
    i can't wait to play you guys again

penalty boxed user

Quote Originally Posted by Tonearm_Terrorwrist View Post
    ramesh ... change the title of the thread to the offical cricket page or some shit ... so we can keep updating with shit around the world when our countries are on tour and shit ... and yes we must bug the mods to sticky this shit ...
    i'm not so good with computers how do i do that?

Banned

life without mcgrath and waren in the test will take some time to overcome ... our batting won't be the same without JL and damien martyn either ... but still, with jaques and north in the wings waiting for that opening spot we should be all good ... tbh brett lee is too overrated in my view ... he hasn't done much since he busted his elbow in NZ and fuck that was when he first came on ... he does the odd thing here n there but he is mostly a one day bowler ... my man stuey clark to take over from pigeon with a few good young spinners waiting ... i'm sad to see JL, pigeon, warne and martyn to leave but i'm mad excited about the young boys coming in ... we won't be as dominant as we have been but i still think we'll be very competative ... i think the days of automatic australian victories are over ... atleast outside of oz ... lookin forward to what the future holds ...

>>edit<< RAMESH: i think you can do it im not sure ... i think you have to edit your first post and you can change the thread title there ... if not ask a mod to do it in the ask admin section ...

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

penalty boxed user

Quote Originally Posted by Tonearm_Terrorwrist View Post
    life without mcgrath and waren in the test will take some time to overcome ... our batting won't be the same without JL and damien martyn either ... but still, with jaques and north in the wings waiting for that opening spot we should be all good ... tbh brett lee is too overrated in my view ... he hasn't done much since he busted his elbow in NZ and fuck that was when he first came on ... he does the odd thing here n there but he is mostly a one day bowler ... my man stuey clark to take over from pigeon with a few good young spinners waiting ... i'm sad to see JL, pigeon, warne and martyn to leave but i'm mad excited about the young boys coming in ... we won't be as dominant as we have been but i still think we'll be very competative ... i think the days of automatic australian victories are over ... atleast outside of oz ... lookin forward to what the future holds ...

>>edit<< RAMESH: i think you can do it im not sure ... i think you have to edit your first post and you can change the thread title there ... if not ask a mod to do it in the ask admin section ...
    that's what i like about the australians you guys got alot of talent over here when we loose a player the team is fucked we got 11 great players
    i know the talent is here alot of coloured kids is playing cricket now

Banned

one thing i noticed about us compared to say india, south africa and england is our domestic competitions ... over here, our first class competition goes over 4 days ... where as the others go for 2/3 days ... which isnt' enough to prepare players, especially fringe and young players, for test cricket ... i've always thought if all nations had a 4 day first class domestic competition they would all lift their test game, because it helps alot, because it allows you to build innings and work away at opposition batting ... in 2/3 days you rush alot, you might get 350 in a day and things like that ... but when you can grind your opposition bowlers into 2, 2 1/2 days of fielding, that really saps their enegry, confidence and mentally ability ... which is probably our strength ... alot of times, england, south africa, india have out gunned us in first innings ... but we always come back because we've had that first class experience of lengthy cricket and know how to go the whole way ... and another thing is, i'm not sure about south africa, but we got a world class cricket academy and institute of sport, with alot of former players helping out, which is great, passing of the torch sorta thing

also, england's decision to cut the amount of overseas players from 2 to 1 is definately a positive move for them ... more english players getting exposure to first class cricket will benefit them ... with so many overseas players ... haha especially australians ... clogging up their domestic spots they don't have many quality reserve players to call on when a first team player is out ... as was found out in pakistan and recently australia ... so that can only serve them well ...

south africa and india really need to sort out their quota system because it's really hindering them ... especially south africa ... if they had strauss and pieterson in their team they would be performing alot better than they have been ... but i guess it leaves doors open for other young kids ... good to see young africans getting into cricket rather than football/rugby ... hopefully west indian kids can get back into cricket because football is really dominating there ...

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

CORNED BEEF SAMMICH

the quota system has its pros and cons... but surely a world cup winning team would attract more people to compete at grass roots level...

i definitely see the long term benefits of having guys from other cultures in the top side, but there has to be a better way than creating dissention among future kevin pietersons...

penalty boxed user

Team Matches Points
    Rating

Australia 54 7038 130

South Africa 43 5313 124

New Zealand 45 5103 113

Sri Lanka 53 5879 111

Pakistan 36 3950 110

India 50 5320 106

England 43 4457 104

West Indies 47 4666 99

Bangladesh 42 1892 45

Ireland 11 317 29

Zimbabwe 36 779 22

Kenya 11 0 0

Last updated: 28 Apr 2007
    Last edited by RAMESH; 04-30-2007 at 05:37 PM.

penalty boxed user

The LG ICC Player Rankings are the official guide to the relative merits of batsmen, bowlers and all-rounders in Test match and ODI cricket.

Top 10 ODI Batsman

Name
    Country

R.T. Ponting
    AUS
    Mohammad Yousuf
    PAK
    K.P. Pietersen
    ENG
    K.C. Sangakkara
    SL
    M.E.K. Hussey
    AUS
    M.L. Hayden
    AUS
    J.H. Kallis
    SA
    R. Dravid
    IND
    B.C. Lara
    WI
    Younis Khan
    PAK
    Last edited by RAMESH; 04-30-2007 at 06:01 PM.

penalty boxed user

Banned

good to see bracken up at number 2 ... been a great bowler for nsw for sometime and he's getting his just rewards ...

i can't believe the result of this poll

Which World Cup winning side is the greatest?
    The class of '0757.0% (6519 votes)
    Ponting's '03 professionals18.8% (2149 votes)
    Waugh's '99 warriors18.2% (2077 votes)
    Border's '87 battlers6.0% (687 votes)

okay ... class of 07 was destructive ... but let's face it, no one we played even came within a country mile of beating us ... we destroyed south africa twice, steam rolled the west indies, annilhate new zealand and england and fucked up sri lanka twice ...

in 03 we battled a little harder, especially fighting efforts against pakistan and sri lanka in the semi final ... but still didn't look like losing, apart from the england and kiwi games where brad hogg and andy bichel saved us with bat and ball twice

in 87, we were a shit team ... we couldnt win a game if we played ourselves ... the fact we won this tournament is a testament to hard hard hard work ... and with our future 89 ashes team gelling, we were about to skyrocket to the top and this was the catalyst to that ...

but for real ... england 99 is definately our best ... we lost against pakistan, lost against new zealand, and to even consider a final place had to win 5 in a row ... we did that and killed pakistan in the final ... if you look at our opposition, far superior to what we faced in the 2 world cups after ... pakistan: shoaib in full force, inzy, saeed anwar, waqar and wasim were alot better than in 03; west indies were stronger than they were in the next 2, same as new zealand, and south africa, lets be honest they choked big time and should of won that world cup ... our team, apart from ponting and gilchrist, were all in their prime; the waughs, lehmann, mcgrath, warne, bevan, fleming, no one was fucking with them ... the fact we won 5 in a row after being one loss away from elimination is a testament to our mental strength and determination, which makes them our best winners imo ...

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

penalty boxed user

Afro-Asia Cup set for June 2007
    The second Afro-Asia Cup will be held in Bangalore and Chennai in June 2007. Three day-night matches will be played on June 6 (Bangalore), June 9 and June 10 (Chennai).
    Mr. Sharad Pawar, President of the Board of Control for Cricket in India who launches the event today at a press conference in Delhi said, "We are delighted that India should play host to this auspicious event. The match-up of the best players of Asia against the best players of Africa is a proven formula for success. I expect there to be tremendous interest in the tournament."
    Mr. Syed Ashraful Huq, Chief Executive of the Asian Cricket Council says, "To have the best available cricketers of India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh come together in one team to represent the spirit of Asian fraternity and co-operation is hugely significant in itself. We can expect the Afro-Asia cricket at the great venues of Bangalore and Chennai to be intensely competitive."
    Peter Chingoka, Chairman of the Africa Cricket Association says that "There is no doubt that the Africa team take these matches very seriously and the 2005 Afro-Asia Cup was a hard-fought contest. Thanks to the players and respective boards a great deal of development money is raised which goes a long way in strengthening the game in Africa."
    Mr. Cassim Suliman, Chief Executive of the Africa Cricket Association
    (ACA) said: "We are thankful to the Boards for making their players available and the potential line-up of talent is remarkable. The funds raised by those in the public eye at the very top will go a long way in securing the future growth and development of the game.
    "Since 2005 the Afro-Asia funds have been used across Africa to set up coaching programs and competitions for girls and boys and in providing facilities and equipment to numerous countries and clubs across Africa. The same is true for Asia.
    "In fact, with this Afro-Asia Cup being held in India, the benefits to our cause will be even greater and ensure that both Africa and Asia will continue to spread the game over the two continents."
    The Afro-Asia Cup is owned by the Africa Cricket Association and Asia Cricket Council, the development bodies for cricket in both continents. They came together in 2005 to form Afro-Asian Cricket Co-operation (AACC).
    Sightsavers International, a charity specializing in the eradication of blindness. In 2006 a donation was made to Sightsavers by Afro-Asian Cricket Co-operation of USD$226,485. The Chief Executive of Sightsavers has reported that 9 Countries in Africa and 8 countries in Asia benefited in their programme with regards to eye treatment.
    Further to that a lot of aid was given to the Tsunami Relief Organizations in Asia.
    The first Afro-Asia Cup was held in South Africa in August 2005. The 2007 and 2008 Afro-Asia Cups are set in the ICC Future Tours Program and like the 2005 version will be official ODIs.
    In addition to the three Afro-Asia Cup matches there will be a Women’s Asia v Africa match and a men’s Twenty20 Asia v Africa match in Bangalore on the 5th of June.
    This will be the first time that International Twenty 20 cricket is played in India.
    SMITH CAPTAIN: The Selection committee of the African Eleven is proud to announce the Squad that will represent Africa in the forth-coming Afro/Asia Series June 2007 in India. Graeme Smith (Captain) - South Africa
    Steve Tikolo (V.Captain) - Kenya
    Johan Botha - South Africa
    Mark Boucher - South Africa
    Elton Chigumbura - Zimbabwe
    A.B. De Villiers - South Africa
    Herschelle Gibbs - South Africa
    Andrew Hall - South Africa
    Jacques Kallis - South Africa
    Makhaya Ntini - South Africa
    Thomas Odoyo - Kenya
    Peter Ongondo - Kenya
    Shaun Pollock - South Africa
    Vusi Sibanda - Zimbabwe
    Hiren Varaiya - Kenya

The selection of the A Team and the Woman’s Team will be concluded by the 7th May 2007 they are to compete in the Woman’s Twenty/20 and A Team Twenty/20 competition in Bangalore India.
    Last edited by RAMESH; 05-01-2007 at 04:22 PM.

penalty boxed user

Afro-Asia Cup to showcase talent

Afro-Asia Cup game one, Centurion: Africa XI v Asia XI
    Match begins 1100 BST
    Kenyan players will get their chance to appear with South African stars when the Afro-Asia Cup begins on Tuesday.
    Steve Tikolo, Collins Obuya, Thomas Odoyo are among the squad for the opening match at Centurion.
    "Every player in the squad will play at least one game," said Mickey Arthur, South Africa's new coach, who will take charge of the Africa XI.
    Pakistan's Inzamam-ul-Haq leads a side drawn from India, Sri Lanka and with two players from Bangladesh.
    "The four cricketing nations in Asia are used to playing against each other - it's going to be good to play with one another," said Inzamam.
    "We did it when we played for Asia in the tsunami matches, and it was a very good experience."
    The Africa side will be led by Shaun Pollock for the opening match and the second game in Durban on Saturday.
    Graeme Smith will take the helm for Sunday's final match, after serving an ICC-imposed ban for time-wasting.
    The series has come under fire for adding to players' workloads and also because it carries full one-day international status.
    And several leading players have dropped out citing English county commitments and injuries.
    But Arthur said there had been no problem motivating his players.
    "Any professional always wants to perform well," he said on the eve of the series opener.
    "The first practice we had was more of an ice-breaker than anything, but I was very happy with the intensity of the practice we had today." Africa (from): Shaun Pollock (Capt), Boeta Dippenaar, AB de Villiers, Jacques Kallis, Ashwell Prince, Mark Boucher (Wkt), Monde Zondeki, Jacques Rudolph, Nicky Boje, Justin Ontong, Steve Tikolo, Collins Obuya, Thomas Odoyo, Dale Steyn, Justin Kemp. Asia: Inzamam-ul-Haq (Capt), Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag, Kumar Sangakkara, Sanath Jayasuriya, Yousuf Youhana, Shahid Afridi, Abdul Razzak, Muttiah Muralitharan, Mohammad Ashraful, Mashrafe-bin-Mortaza, Anil Kumble, Shoaib Akhtar.

this is going to be some great cricket that combined asian team is the greatest team in the world & the african team is going to be alot weaker than the south african team this shit is going to be exciting

for the cats that's don't know about the afro asian cup

Afro-Asia Cup: History in the making

K Kumaraswamy in Durban | August 19, 2005 16:19 IST

"All that glitters is gold."
    It is the slogan that goes with the official Mandela Coin, minted to celebrate the 130th anniversary of South Africa's first gold coin as well as 10 years of democracy.
    While the politicians are equating gold with its rich and often bloodied history, the cricket administrators are hoping it would pave the way for a greener future for the game and more gold in return.
    The inaugural edition of the Afro-Asia Cup kicked off on Wednesday to empty stands on a winter day in Johannesburg but the brains behind the concept firmly believe that "it is history in the making."
    Dubbed as made-for-television, the series pits the two continental teams, with players drawn from their respective one-day international playing countries.
    The opening match at the Wanderers proved to be some kind of a pot-boiler with the hosts winning by two runs.
    Most of the thrill, at the sight of the fast ball darting off the seaming pitch and beating the bat, might have been vicarious pleasure because the grounds were hardly at their best and true conditions.
    Hastily planned in the off-season, with title sponsors found only four days before the start, the tournament has had its critics.
    Contravening the game's tradition of pitting two countries against each other has been openly pointed out, and the strengthening of the vote bank in the ICC secretly.
    But all such talk has been summarily dismissed as rubbish.
    "Africa and Asia are two continents of similar backgrounds and missions. They share the same socio-economic situation. In the case of cricket, cricket was played by the elite before it became a game of the masses. And we need to develop it further. There is so much to be done that there is no time for politics," said Peter Chingoka, chairman of the African Cricket Association.
    Referring to the game featuring two continents as against the convention of two countries, Chingoka said new ideas are needed to further the game.
    "That's what somebody would have said about the Ryder's Cup [golf]," the Zimbabwean said.
    "When someone first thought of it, people would have said 'he must be crazy'. But now if they don't have it on the calendar, you wonder why they didn't have it.
    "There is no point in sitting and talking over a cup of coffee. You open up and bring other people in, the game gets bigger and better.
    "It was inconceivable that we have 20,000 people on day one. We have got to start somewhere. We have made a start and its a long journey."
    ACA's acting chief executive officer Cassim Suliman said his continent is the fastest growing region in cricket with more and more countries taking upto it.
    And he said the game could prove to be the much needed distraction for the region's youth, turning them away from guns and bombs.
    "Africa is bleeding ... from war and genocide. Cricket can turn them. It has given them a chance to live, hope and courage," he said.
    Suliman, whose great great-grand parents hailed from Gujarat, must know. A sixth generation Indian-origin citizen, Suliman is a key figure in the South African cricket and has held many posts in the Cricket Board.
    He was a Director of Cricket South Africa until resigning recently, and still the CEO of Easterns Cricket Association.
    As one who grew up in the apartheid era, he played an active role in thwarting the rebel tours in the 1970s and 1980s.
    Naturally, he stresses on the humane aspect of sport.
    "It is about building relations, making new friends. It is a very positive thing. This is history in the making," he said.
    Suliman believes the response for the event will go up as it progressed.
    "It is correct that this is not the right season [for cricket], particularly in Johannesburg in the winter. But to see 5,000 people come and watch the game on Wednesday, a working day in South Africa, is a miracle. I am sure there are going to be many more on Saturday and Sunday and then you will know the enthusiasm for the game in South Africa."
    Both Suliman and Chingoka talked about ambitious plans for the game in Africa.
    Cricket co-ordinators in four regions of the continent would be appointed soon to conceive and implement programmes for the development of players, coaches, umpires and infrastructure.
    The Asian angle would come in sharing talent and resources, having tours with teams visiting from both the sides.
    Curiously, the administrators have not thought about the Afro-Asia Cup beyond 2007. At present, there are plans only for three years with Asia to host the event next year, and Africa again the following year.
    "After that, we will see how it had progressed. We will go back to the drawing board and see if we had achieved what we set about, whether it had been good or bad, whether it is worth it," Suliman said.
    "You will never know how good is something unless you test it. We are testing it now."
    Last edited by RAMESH; 05-01-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Banned

You're out, Mugabe

May 13, 2007
    AUSTRALIA'S cricket team will be banned by the Federal Government from its planned forthcoming tour of Zimbabwe.

It is understood Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer wrote to Australian cricket's governing body, Cricket Australia, yesterday advising it of his intention to prevent the tour going ahead in September.

In his letter, Mr Downer is understood to have told Cricket Australia he had been advised by government lawyers that he had the discretion to stop the tour.

Prime Minister John Howard is today expected to announce the unprecedented decision to ban the tour. Mr Howard raised the issue with Australian captain Ricky Ponting after the team returned from its recent triumph at the World Cup in the West Indies.

The Government had argued that if the tour went ahead, it would be used as a propaganda weapon by Zimbabwe's murderous President Robert Mugabe.

His desperate efforts to hang onto power have scuttled democracy and ruined the country's once-thriving economy.

Mr Downer told Cricket Australia at a meeting on Thursday the Government's preference was that the tour not go ahead.

Cricket Australia was reluctant to announce a ban on the one-day series itself because this would have made it potentially liable for a $2.4 million compensation payment to Zimbabwe. The Government's decision to impose the ban extricates Cricket Australia from its contractual obligation to pay any fine.

There was also some concern that the fine money paid to Zimbabwe would have gone straight into the
    pockets of corrupt members of the Mugabe regime.

It is understood there is an out for Australia under the terms of the existing contract.

The International Cricket Council fines can be waived if player security is considered to be at risk or if a team is banned from a tour by its own government. According to senior sources close to the process, a unilateral withdrawal from the tour by Cricket Australia could also have had implications for relations with other cricketing countries.

"A decision by Cricket Australia to impose a ban might have been frowned upon by other cricketing nations," the source said.

"This decision gets Cricket Australia out of a hole."

Mr Downer outlined his position to ABC radio on Friday, saying: "I think if the Australian cricket team goes - and the Australian cricket team is the greatest team in the world - the message that it will, inadvertently, of course, be sending to the Mugabe regime is that it's not isolated.

"That the world's greatest cricket team is happy to go and participate in a sports festival there in Zimbabwe ... I don't think that is the right message.

"And secondly, I know from talking with many Zimbabweans ... they don't want to see the tour (go ahead) because it will be seen as a propaganda victory (to Mr Mugabe's regime)."

After meeting with Mr Downer on Thursday, Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said that if the Government intervened to stop the tour, the $2.4 million fine would be waived

Quoting ≠ Agreement.