Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket thread

penalty boxed user

Monday, 3 June, 2002, 16:07 GMT 17:07 UK
    Hansie Cronje

Former South Africa cricket captain Hansie Cronje died in a plane crash on Saturday 1 June.
    BBC Sport's Marcus Prior answers your e-mails on Hansie Cronje.

Listen to Marcus Prior's answers here

Hansie Cronje was earmarked as a future South Africa captain from his first appearance in international cricket in 1991.
    His reputation was among the finest in cricket until allegations of match-fixing began to spread in April 2000.
    Will you remember Cronje for his 3,714 runs in 68 Test appearances - or for the manner of his fall?

Clarence Walker, USA Despite his fall from grace, Hansie will always be the best captain to lead South Africa and one of the best all-rounders produced by South Africa. That is how I will remember him.

He was a magnificent batsman. He had the ability to take on just about any attack with a great eye and play it to all parts of the ground. He also had the ability as a bowler to break partnerships and to swing the ball late. As a captain he was a great competitor and a strategist.

Neville, Australia
    He'll be remembered for selling the integrity of a great game for the sake of a few dollars.

Hansie Cronje himself said two years ago that he had "an unfortunate love of money". He was a great public figure who had one major personal flaw. He recognised that and, having been exposed as a corrupt cricketer, he understood that this love of money had brought about his downfall.
    There are many reasons why he got involved to the extent that he did with cricket's corrupt match fixers. All I would say is that it was probably an early dalliance which he didn't think much about, and this led to a greater involvement which he could hardly evade later on in his cricketing life.
    It is very sad that someone like him was sucked so far into such illicit and corrupt activities, but certainly he was a great cricketer and a great captain. It is a great shame, and his early death has brought about the reality that, without reconciliation over time, this is unfortunately what he will be remembered for. There are many people in South Africa in particular who believe that he should be remembered for more human reasons than that.

Ben Parkyn, England
    People should not focus on his wrong-doings, but on the reasons behind them. Why would a successful captain of a country feel the need to resort to accepting money to potentially lose a game? For someone with such ability and strong religious beliefs it must have been a hard decision to make. So why did he do it?

As someone who sat through the entire King Commission and Cronje's subsequent appeal to have his life ban from cricket overturned, what became very clear is the way in which the bookmakers and illegal gamblers around cricket get involved in the game is to approach those who can best influence the outcome of cricket matches.
    Cronje was a captain of a successful side, and from 1996 there were people hovering around the South Africa camp trying to get under his skin. Unfortunately for Hansie Cronje, he took part in that game from an early stage, as was clear from the King Commission. Once involved and once under the influence of these very powerful individuals it was difficult for him to totally distance himself from them. He was held in their sway and never found a way out of that. That was ultimately to prove his downfall.

penalty boxed user

Harry Spencer, Sri Lanka
    Do you think he allowed himself to become a scapegoat for the sins of a much larger network of shadowy bookmakers and other prominent cricketers who continue to enjoy celebrity status?

I'm not sure if it's a question of allowed himself or just was, but certainly Salim Malik is fighting his case in the High Court, and Mohammed Azharuddin has suffered similarly, but less high profile internationally as far as exposure is concerned.
    There is little doubt that Cronje felt very harshly done by. He was very aware of what was going on in international cricket for quite some time as far as the bookmakers were concerned. He was probably one of the last with his hand in the cookie jar but almost certainly the first to have his hand smacked.
    Those who supported him found it hard to understand his attempt to have his life ban overturned, and they felt that a better course of action would be to accept his fate and get on with his life. They would certainly feel that he had been harshly dealt with because there were many other cricketers who, without doubt, had been involved in illicit activities, as far as goings on on the cricket field itself are concerned, but were never truly exposed to the same level that he was.

Greg Hood, SA
    I'll remember Hansie for the magnificent contribution he made in helping to put SA almost at the top of the cricketing rankings and for making the team one of the most competitive on the world stage. For South Africans he will always be our Hansie.

I think there is a major split in opinion between SA cricket fans and cricket fans in much of the rest if the world. In SA, to a large extent, Hansie could do no wrong and many people felt he was very harshly done by.
    If you listen to the likes of Ian Botham at the weekend who said that Hansie would always be remembered as a match fixer and a cheat.
    If you saw the fact that neither England nor Sri Lanka felt compelled to wear black armbands the day following Hansie's death.
    If any other young international cricketer of recent vintage had died in tragic circumstances there is no doubt the black armbands would have been on straight away.
    Certainly South Africans feel that Cronje was judged harshly as far as the behaviour of other cricketers who remain unnamed were concerned, as far as their dealings with bookmakers were concerned.
    That's something that South Africans are having to deal with for themselves because the country is stuck away at the southern end of the African continent a long way from the rest of the cricketing world, Zimbabwe apart. It's very difficult for South Africans to come to terms with the fact that Hansie could still be perceived in such a negative light in the rest of the cricketing world while he is perceived as a positive role model within South African sports circles.

penalty boxed user

Aamir Sohail S/o Shaikh Mohammed Ali (Recorded on 8th October, 1998)

I am in possession of the original affidavit sworn by Ata-ur-Rehman which I produce before this commission. I made a statement to the press that I was not afraid of telling the truth and I reiterate that this match-fixing business was going on and some players who were not indulging in the same like myself, Ata-ur-Rehman, Aaquib Javed and Rashid Latif were being constantly harassed by some players and outsiders.

During the Singer trophy in Sri Lanka, Saleem Parvez came to my room and entered into some talk with me. I however told him that whatever he was planning was not going to happen as far as I was concerned. When we were going out to bat Saeed Anwar said, 'I have heard something that the match is fixed therefore, we should bat carefully'. I enquired the reason. He said we are going to lose. Anwar was batting very well. A message came from the dressing room through Zahid Fazal, twelfth man, and immediately Anwar retired, saying he was not feeling well which came as a surprise to me. During the South Africa tour, Anwar was in good form and was not making runs. When I and Aaquib Javed were sitting with him in the hotel, he said he knew he wasn't getting runs because he had taken money for fixing the match and that it was a curse from God, because even after taking oath on the Quran, he had taken money.... We told him that he should pray for forgiveness and pay some 'Kafara'.
    During the World Cup ('95), when we landed in Delhi, Akram went to a night-club and it was on the same day when he was injured. I asked Akram that we should talk about tour strategy and he should see a physiotherapist. However, the next day the physiotherapist told me he was looking for Akram who was not available. Two days before the match I asked Wasim whether he was fit enough to play. He replied in the affirmative and said that on no occasion was he going to miss such a crucial match. It was strange that before such an important match there was no team meeting although generally it is done before all matches. I again asked Wasim Akram and he told me he was playing after taking some injections. He never indicated he was not playing. It was only 5/10 minutes before the toss that I was informed that Akram was not playing. The morale of the team went down. We had no time to plan strategy. He told us that time that he had an injury on his ribs but in the newspaper he stated he had suffered a shoulder injury. Dan Kiesel told me the injection he gave Akram would keep the pain away even if the flesh had been cut off. I was further informed by Kiesel that after he gave the injections to Akram he told me (sic) that the pain had travelled to another place which looked very strange.
    Before the Australasia cup final in '94, I received a call from an Indian book-maker whose name I do not know that he wanted to see me. As a cricketer I had to be polite to my fans. Therefore I allowed him. When he came, he offered me Rs 25 lakh for getting out before scoring 10 runs and also getting Saeed Anwar run out. This offer was spurned by me. I went out for dinner and when I came back there was a team meeting on in which it appeared that certain other players had also been offered money. We therefore decided to take oath on the Quran before the match that each one of us would play to the best of his abilities.
    During the second Sahara cup match, Akram was captain. When we were fielding, he went away for a while and being vice-captain, I took over. The wicket was taking turn. I employed the fielders around the batsmen and succeeded in getting two wickets. When Akram came back, he was very angry and asked me what the hell are you doing. I said 'I am trying to win the match and have taken two wickets for you'. He was very angry. I was told by Aaquib Javed that he was offered a car which he refused but Waqar Younus had taken the car.
    Rashid Latif was the world's best wicketkeeper but he was dropped and so was the case with Basit Ali and Ata-ur-Rehman. Ata-ur-Rehman was judged the best bowler against India in 1994. He was dropped in the Sri Lanka tour which was astonishing.
    It was for the first time during the Christchurch match against New Zealand in '94 that I heard about match-fixing. Majid Khan was very upset and he banned telephone calls of all players. It was the same match about which At-ur-Rehman told that he was paid by Akram to bowl badly. Many strange things happened during the match. It was a bowler-friendly wicket and the ball was swinging around and we got out very cheaply and at one time the other side was 45 runs for three wickets. It was surprising that I was asked to bowl on that wicket, though it was suited to fast bowlers.
    In 1994, I was in very good form and was scoring lots of runs. However, at many times I was run out mainly due to the call made by other players. In the second final of the Mandela trophy, I was run out on 71. The other batsman at the crease was Ijaz Ahmed who had made the call. During the match at Sharjah, I was not feeling well but Akram asked me to play. I told him I can open the innings if we bat first and if we have to bat after the fielding sufficient time had to be given to me to rest... and thereafter I was promised that I shall be batting at a lower position. Surprisingly, when we came back from fielding I was ordered to open the innings. I reminded Akram of his promise but he was adamant. I scored 1/2 runs and got out because I could not move my foot. This match was against England.
    There came a time when we were in a winning position. However, strangely enough instead of Moin Khan and Azhar Mahmood who were in good form, Akram promoted himself in the batting order. He however scored 4 runs in 19 deliveries. Pakistan lost that match by 8 runs. It was the fifth match against England in the Singer trophy. Adam Hollioake, English captain, came out with the statement that he was approached by bookmakers for fixing the matches. Saleem Parvez told me he had paid money to Salim Malik, Mushtaq Ahmed, Inzamam and Waqar. This disclosure was made by him in the presence of Rashid Latif.
    Majid Khan Chief Executive Officer, PCB I produce a written statement which is duly signed by me and everything contained therein is true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. It is not possible for one or two players to fix matches without involving others. There are large-scale rumours which lead me to the conclusion that other members of the team were also involved. After the Quadrangular matches, I confronted Haroon Rashid and later Akram. (I told them) their strategy was poor-instead of sending in-form batsmen at the top order, they sent out-of-form batsmen. Akram replied he was not aware who was in-form and who was out-of-form (or) that he was committing any mistake.
    After the West Indies series which we won, we went to Sharjah. If we look at the score-sheet of Sharjah which I produce we will find that the same mistake i.e. sending out-of-form batsmen at the top order was repeated. In the match against the West Indies, Akram went to bat ahead of Azhar Mahmood and Moin Khan. The same was the case in the match against Sri Lanka, which slowed down the game. I went to Sharjah for a couple of days and confronted Haroon Rashid with these mistakes. His answer was that if the captain was unwilling to win the match, what could the coach do? Akram had not played during the entire summer season due to a shoulder operation. Prior to the tournament he had played only one Test. Against South Africa in which Azhar Mahmood had scored lots of runs he had failed. But Akram batted ahead of Azhar.
    In my view, those who are found guilty of match-fixing and betting must be dealt with in a manner which could set an example; those against whom there are suspicions should be investigated about their assets. We shall at the board level provide details of the money which was paid to the players from which we can have a fair idea of their assets and receipts. The eyes of cricket-playing countries are focused on Pakistan as to how this matter is being dealt with and that they will also follow suit if need be. We can be the leaders in this field.

penalty boxed user

Warne, Mark Waugh took bookie's cashBy Mark Ray, Greg Baum and Martin Blake
    December 9, 1998

Two of Australia's greatest cricketers - bowler Shane Warne and batsman Mark Waugh - have been involved in a betting scandal that has plunged the game into of one of its greatest crises of the modern era.
    The Australian Cricket Board confirmed last night that it had fined Waugh and Warne for providing information to an Indian bookmaker during Australia's tour of Sri Lanka in 1994.
    But cricket officials have covered up the scandal ever since the players were fined in early 1995.
    It is believed both players admitted having supplied the bookmaker with information about match conditions and possible team selection. It was unclear how much they had been fined, with reports varying between $2,500 to $15,000.
    One source close to the ACB said both players had been fined a sum greater than what the bookmaker paid them.
    The revelations are a severe embarrassment to Australian cricket officials, who supported claims by Warne, Waugh and bowler Tim May in 1995 that Pakistan captain Salim Malik offered them bribes to throw matches during the ill-fated tour of that country in 1994.
    Several Australian cricket officials have known of the affair since the pair were fined, but have kept it secret because of its explosive nature.
    The chief executive of the ACB, Mr Malcolm Speed, last night confirmed there would be a media conference in Adelaide today. Waugh and Warne are both expected to attend.
    But Mr Speed said there was no suggestion that Waugh and Warne had been involved in anything other than providing information. "There is no suggestion whatsoever of any match-fixing," he said.
    Waugh is due to play for Australia in the third Test against England starting at Adelaide Oval on Friday, while Warne is absent through injury. Mr Speed said the timing was unfortunate.
    Mr Waugh's manager, Mr Leo Kalis, would not comment last night. "Mark will be making a statement tomorrow," he said.
    A director of ACB director said the inquiry into Waugh and Warne's behaviour was handled in February 1995 by the then chairman Mr Alan Crompton, and chief executive Mr Graham Halbish.
    Mr Halbish, who has avoided questions about the issue for the past two years, said last night: "I'm not buying into it. I decided some years ago, wisely or otherwise, not to keep my diaries. I think I'll stick to that."
    Mr Crompton could not be reached for comment.
    There were unsubstantiated reports last night that Waugh had initially approached the board and told it of his involvement, seeking its advice.
    The Herald revealed in February 1995 that Warne, Waugh and Tim May had alleged that Malik approached them with bribes to lose matches. Malik rejected the claims as "shameful", but was sacked as captain five months later and suspended as a player pending an inquiry.
    In September this year, a committee of the Pakistan Cricket Board found that Malik, fast bowler Wasim Akram and batsman Ijaz Ahmed were responsible for match-fixing, and referred its findings to Justice Qayyum's judicial inquiry, which is expected to conclude in the next fortnight.
    On its way to Pakistan in 1994, the Australian team made a short trip to Sri Lanka for the Singer Cup. It was here that the bookmaker approached Waugh and Warne for information on game conditions and the possible Australian side.
    Australia lost the subsequent tour of Pakistan 0-1.
    Former Australian coach Bob Simpson, who was in charge for the 1994 tour, said he had no knowledge of the allegations against Waugh and Warne. He denied a suggestion that he sat on a committee that handed down fines to the players. "I was on no such committee."
    Scandal at a glance:

• Shane Warne and Mark Waugh fined up to $15,000 for giving information to Indian bookie during 1994 tour of Sri Lanka.
    • They were fined in 1995 but the affair has been kept secret.
    • Warne and Waugh alleged in 1995 that they had been offered bribes by Pakistan's Salim Malik to throw matches.

penalty boxed user

West Indies Vs Pakistan Starts Nooowww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ah, i wish i could watch it, but here it only on pay tv.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMESH View Post
    i'm sorry for what i said to you about australia about you guys being thieves & shit i lost my temper

i dont mind man, i realise fucking warne and waugh cheated, and i dont even like those guys at all.

also, it get boring watching the aussies win all the time, i find myself supported the opposing teams alot of the time, just because i dont like to see the same old thing.

interesting how australia, even thought they are now no longer no. 1 in the world, have these odds compared to no. 1 south africa:

aus: 2.75
    SA: 5.50

crazy how even though sa are no. 1, they are still nearly double the australians.

penalty boxed user

it's half time now pakistan won the toss & ellected to bowl
    west indies made 241 but it started of slow i had a cat nap inbetween
    the last 10 overs were exciting to watch

you must always support your team
    as much as i bad mouth australia my favourite games to watch is when we playing australia because that's the most competitive
    so even though i bad mouth them cricket won't be the same without them

penalty boxed user

the games over & west indies won
    pakistan lost 3 quick wickets & played a defensive game
    yousuf cracked from pressure & al haq went soon after the most impressive player has to be malik
    it was great to see the west indies preform so well, they were impresive on the field (africans are very athletic)
    it was mostly the young cats from the indies that shined
    i will post a proper review when it's released

Prince Rai

much props for ramesh, hes definitely working hard for this thread! peace..

as for pakistan, we better come back!! lol we are playing ireland next i think..lmao

penalty boxed user

Quote Originally Posted by Princerai View Post
    much props for ramesh, hes definitely working hard for this thread! peace..

as for pakistan, we better come back!! lol we are playing ireland next i think..lmao
    thanx princerai
    i'm sure pakistan will do better it's a pitty that asif is not playing because that man got mad skill also it's hard to believe that yousef was under pressure because he is a great man with strong will they were a bit over confident when they came in the game because of the terrible defeat west indies faced against india during practice but i'm sure they will bounce back

penalty boxed user

Inzamam-ul-Haq blamed his experienced batsmen for Pakistan's demoralising opening ICC Cricket World Cup 54-run defeat to West Indies.

Inzamam feels his batsmen will need to come good in the remaining matches if Pakistan are to repeat their 1992 ICC Cricket World Cup triumph after his side failed to chase the hosts' modest total of 241 at Sabina Park here on Tuesday.

"Our middle order is a very experienced batting line-up and we should have taken more responsibility in the opening game of the tournament," said captain Inzamam.

Before a capacity crowd at the renovated Sabina Park, West Indies had a memorable start to the first ever ICC Cricket World Cup staged in the Caribbean, when they bowled Pakistan out for 187 in 47.2 overs to clinch victory

"We should have got those runs because I think 242 was a gettable score," added Inzamam.

"We thought we could have chased those runs and we should have successfully chased them."

Pakistan were 39 for three at one stage, but Inzamam scored 36 and Mohammad Yousuf made 37 to put them back on track before Dwayne Smith, who was named man-of-the-match, claimed them both to end with three wickets for 36 runs from his 10 overs.

"Mohammad Yousuf's wicket was crucial, but we lost three early wickets, and we could have done well if we had more wickets left at the end," said Inzamam.

"We just didn't chase properly enough and West Indies bowled a good line and length.

"There is some pressure on us now, but we will regroup and come back for the next match."

Pakistan must now beat Ireland on Saturday, and Zimbabwe next Wednesday to guarantee they progress from Group D into the Super Eight stage of the competition.

Despite the defeat, Inzamam is confident his side will bounce back.

"There is something brilliant and magical about playing West Indies in West Indies, but we lost the opening game, and this is not very good," he admitted

penalty boxed user

West Indies defeated Pakistan by 54 runs in the opening match of ICC Cricket World Cup 2007 in Sabina Park on Tuesday night.
    A fine all round performance by Brian Lara's men saw the tournament's home team restricting Pakistan to 187 after scoring 241 in the first innings. Pakistan's captain Inzamam-ul-Haq won the toss and chose to field. Powered mainly by contributions from Ramnaresh Sarwan and Marlon Samuels, the Windies posted 241, accelerating towards the end via a cameo by Dwayne Smith, who hit 32 off 15 balls.
    For Pakistan, free-swinging Shoaib Malik top-scored with 62 and was last man out as the crowd erupted in celebration. Till he was there, victory was possible though unlikely.
    However, at one stage Pakistan were in tatters after losing captain Inzamam-ul-Haq for 36 to leave the score 116/6 with 17 overs remaining and 7 runs an over to get in them. His replacement 'keeper Kamran Akmal was out next ball for nought. Non-striker Shoaib Malik was then looking good, and had just come in a couple of overs before, replacing Pakistan's other major hope: Mohammad Yousuf.
    Yousuf fell for 37 just when it seemed he and Inzy would slowly take Pakistan within striking range of the West Indies total. Yousuf was out caught behind after battling for 72 balls and hitting only one four.
    Pakistan's two best batsmen had struggled long and hard to halt a West Indian drive through their top order and settled to reach 64/3 after 20 overs.
    Inzamam and Yousuf dug in after the team was reeling in the opening overs against a rampant West Indies attack. Inzy had scored 33 off 58 balls when Yousuf fell and the duo had seen off fast bowler DB Powell, who amazingly bowled all 10 of his overs on the trot, finishing with figures of 2/42. Yousuf was succeeded by Shoaib Malik.
    Inzy came in after the fall of the third wicket, that of Mohd Hafeez, who was caught by Lara at mid-on as he tried unsuccessfully to go over the top. Mohd Yousuf was looking solid at that stage, after 12 overs, but the scoring rate had been pulled down. At one stage, only 13 runs were scored in 9 overs till Inzy stroked two superb boundaries. One a swivel pull and the other a super cover drive.
    Earlier Younis Khan fell for 9 as Pakistan struggled against the West Indies opening attack. Younis went with his team at 17/2 in the fifth over.
    Younis pulled a ball outside off stump off Jerome Taylor and was caught behind off an edge.
    Pakistan began its innings in mercurial fashion, with Imran Nazir tonking Powell for six over point and then edging to birthday boy Ramdin. This brought in Younis who slashed to get a boundary. And all this was just in the first over.
    The excitement continued through the match, with both teams piling up runs in their slog overs. But the Windies were much more disciplined on the day and suddenly, from a thrashing at the hands of India only last week, they look like a team to watch out for in ICC Cricket World Cup 2007.

penalty boxed user

kenya vs canada starts now
    Last edited by RAMESH; 03-14-2007 at 08:05 AM.

penalty boxed user

canada was all out for 199 on the last ball of the 50th over
    kenya is one cool team they got a cool style
    i didn't watch the whole match just pieces where i could but u must see when the bowlers get a cat out they don't jump in the sky & shit the bowler just does a delayed semi half break & it's over with same as a run out they do it in slow motion
    africans are cool cats i'm defintly watching all the batting
    4 run outs & from what i saw & 2 clean takes off the wicket