Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket thread

penalty boxed user

the australian vs scotland is coming on tonight to late for me to watch i hear scotland is a good team
    it would be cool if one of you cats can coment on the game

penalty boxed user

i'm glad to pronounce that kenya won with 7 wickets at hand
    i must say that kenya takes the award of being the coolest cricket team
    the batting was a bit slow they had an easy target & won the game in a laid back fasion

penalty boxed user

Kenya captain Steve Tikolo led from the front as his side beat Canada by seven wickets in the opening Group C ICC CWC match here Wednesday.

With Test nations England and New Zealand lying in wait, this fixture appeared to represent both the Africans' and the North Americans' best chance of a victory.

In the end Kenya, the shock semi-finalists of four years ago, won decisively. Chasing 200 to win, they finished on 203 for three with 40 balls to spare.

Experienced skipper Tikolo was 72 not out after opener Maurice Ouma had made 58. Tanmay Mishra was unbeaten on 35.

Tikolo had already had a good day in the field.

After winning the toss, he was one of three Kenyan spinners who between them took five wickets for 78 runs in 29 overs as Canada's innings slowed to a crawl after a solid start.

"All in all it was a good game," Tikolo said.

"Up front we gave away too many runs but the spinners pulled it back in the middle to restrict them. Then when we batted, Maurice Ouma batted brilliantly. Then myself and Mishra just finished off the game."

Canada captain John Davison, who said aspects of his side's play were "embarrassing" and labelled the running between the wickets that led to three late run-outs "village", was understandably downbeat.

"There weren't too many positives for us. Once Geoff Barnett (41) was out, I don't think we competed for the rest of the game. That pretty much sums it up. It didn't click."

Canada bowled 18 wides and two no-balls and Davison added: "I don't think we've bowled that many extras in a game for a long time. Maybe the pressure of the occasion got to us."

Ouma started positively, pulling 40-year-old former West Indies fast bowler Anderson Cummins for four.

Kenya's key partnership was a third-wicket stand of 67 between Ouma and Tikolo which took Kenya into three figures from 52 for two.

Ouma completed a 71-ball fifty with one six and six fours. But his stand with Tikolo ended when he chipped former Guyana left-arm spinner Sunil Dhaniram to Ashif Mulla at mid-on.

However, Tikolo, in his fourth ICC CWC, was untroubled as he made a typically stylish fifty off 56 balls with one six and five fours - his 19th one-day international half-century.

Tight slow bowling from Kenya - featuring Tikolo's two for 34 off nine overs - had earlier restricted Canada to 199 all out.

Off-spinner Jimmy Kamande was the pick of the attack, taking a superb two for 25 from his full 10 overs.

Left-armer Hiren Varaiya was also impressive with one for 19 from 10 on his World Cup debut.

Canada were looking good while opener Barnett was at the crease but their innings became bogged down when he was out.

However, Dhaniram added impetus late on with an unbeaten 34 off 35 balls, including a six and three fours, to give Canada's bowlers hope.

Left-hander Barnett, who played first-class cricket during the 2006-07 season for New Zealand's Central Districts, had stroked five fours off the 14th over, bowled by first change Nehemiah Odhiambo, with the pick a straight drive down the ground.

Barnett was in sight of a fifty when he holed out.

Going for a big pick-up off paceman Peter Ongondo, Barnett was well caught on the long leg boundary by Mishra.

Barnett faced 50 balls with nine fours.

Davison, who scored the fastest ICC CWC hundred of all-time, off 67 balls, against the West Indies at Centurion during the 2003 tournament, was bowled for eight by Kamande's off-breaks.

Canada are in action again on Sunday when they play England with Kenya's next match on Tuesday against New Zealand
    Last edited by RAMESH; 03-15-2007 at 03:30 AM.

penalty boxed user

zimbabwe played against ireland & the game ended in a tie i feel very dissapointed we should of won
    when it comes to zimbabwe it's always mixed feelings i love the people & i hate the prsident in your mind you want them to loose & in your heart you want them to win i must say was dissapointed that the jamaicans didn't come to show their support the whole crowd was ireland just watching i couldn't take the pressure atleast we didn't loose
    the irish leading batsman that scored slightly more than his whole irish team together was an australian
    most of the zimbabwe cricketers were banned or stoped playing because of that fuck head mgabe so we had a very inexpierienced team
    politics aside it was a very entertaining game
    you guys musn't forget to watch us playing today against holland
    Last edited by RAMESH; 03-16-2007 at 04:57 AM.

penalty boxed user

Australia defeated Scotland by 203 runs in the Group A match at St Kitts on Wednesday. Scotland was all out on the score of 131 runs in 40.1 overs. Colin Smith was the only blessing in disguise for Scotland as he scored his maiden ODI half century.
    Chasing a mammoth target of 335 runs set by the world champions Australia, Scotland started their innings on a cautious note. However, the Scots lost the wicket of Majid Haq when he was run out for 16 runs.
    Captain Ricky Ponting stroked his fourth World Cup century on Wednesday to propel world champions Australia to 334 for six against Scotland in their opening Group A match. Ponting lofted five sixes and struck nine fours in his 113 from 93 balls, his 23rd international one-day century. He also broke Indian Saurav Ganguly`s previous World Cup record of 23 sixes and became the sixth man to reach 1,000 World Cup runs. Scotland captain Craig Wright ensured the spectators, who filled less than half of the 10,000-capacity Warner Park, would get a decent day`s cricket by opting to field first after winning the toss on a dull, overcast day.

Reported Earlier: Scotland’s captain Craig White won the toss and elected to field against the current world champions Australia in St Kitts on Wednesday. While Australia are the 2-1 favourites for the competition, the amateur players of Scotland are rated at 750-1 by British bookmakers William Hill. Also in the group is South Africa, at 5-1 and Netherlands, 1000-1.
    Realistically Scotland`s best hope for any glory would be against their fellow minnows and it would be a major upset if they managed to beat the Australians or the South Africans. Scotland currently play against English county sides in one-day competition and two of their squad, Dougie Brown and Gavin Hamilton, have actually played for England.

penalty boxed user

i heard we had a tough time beating scotland & hearing how australia ripped through them get me even more excited for our encounter
    i don't know how people can say cricket is boring
    i think it's the most exciting game out there at times i get so excited it turns me into an orangatang

penalty boxed user

South African Cricket Set to Self-Destruct
    The present racial quota policy of the United Cricket Board of South Africa, which requires South African cricket teams to include a minimum number of coloured players is set to cause the sport to self-destruct before it has the opportunity to achieve the purpose for which it was implemented. Under current policy, provincial cricket teams are required to consist of no-less-than, three coloured players.

my favourite cricket player

Andre Nel a true south african in evry sence of the way

In January 2005 against against England he took 6/81 in the first innings of the Test. These remained his best innings bowling figures until South Africa's tour of the West Indies in April when in the 3rd Test at Kensington Oval he took 6/32 to go with his first innings 4 wickets. This gave him first 10 wickets haul in Test cricket and man of the match.
    Nel went on to take 14 wickets during his side's tour of Australia later in 2005, finishing the year with 36 victims at 20.72.
    He has constantly troubled Brian Lara in Test cricket, having dismissed him on no fewer than 8 occasions.[1]

[edit] Controversies

Nel has been involved in a number of controversies both on and off the field, as he has been fined for obscene language and for ICC Code of Conduct breaches during his career.
    In February 2001 he hit the headlines after breaking into tears when he felled Allan Donald with a firey bouncer in a domestic first-class match. It emerged later that he had been following instructions from his coach Ray Jennings to target Donald.
    During 2003 he was sent home from a South Africa A tour of Australia after being pulled over for drink driving.[2] Later in the year during the tour of the West Indies he, along with four other teammates, was found guilty of smoking marijuana.[3]
    His enthusiastic and aggressive approach on the field also gets him into trouble and he was once before the match referee for making facial gestures to Chris Gayle.

His aggressive and outspoken nature has led to Andre Nel having one of South African cricket’s most chequered disciplinary records. He has had his run-ins with administrators, match referees, umpires and fellow players and his facial contortions are almost as famous as his incisive fast bowling. All this however has not stopped him from becoming one of the best purveyors with the new ball who works not only on the batsman’s nerves but also his skills. Possessing a tall, muscular frame – an ideal build for a fast bowler – Nel after a steady start has made himself an integral member of the pace attack. His strike rate has improved considerably over the years and he has a record of almost four wickets per Test. He has all the attributes of a top-notch fast bowler – the deadly yorker, the nasty bouncer, the deceptive slower one mixed judiciously among his stock deliveries that can be pretty hostile. His best match figures are ten for 88 against West Indies at Bridgetown at 2005 when he dismissed Brian Lara in both innings and he was South Africa’s outstanding bowler on the tour of Australia in 2005-06 when he was not overawed by the home team’s batting might and finished with 14 wickets in the three Tests. In the restrictive world of ODIs Nel does not compromise much on his pace while retaining the accuracy and this is reflected in his impressive strike rate and average.

penalty boxed user

i love my whole team here is a picture of shaun pollock & mark boucher

penalty boxed user

SOUTH AFRICA VS NETHERLANDS

before i get started i would just like to say i respect holland if it wasn't through the dutch i wouldn't of exisisted & that goes for alot of south africans so the respect is there now we can get down to bussiness
    due to rain we only got 40 overs & it's our 1st game & australia crushed scotland with 335 impressive
    in our 40 overs we scored 353
    gibbs who represents us coloureds hit 6 6's in a row it's the 1st thats been done in a cricket worldcup
    boucher fastest 50 in a world cup
    most 6's hit in a world cup
    most 6's hit in a 1day international
    i'm going to watch the 2nd half now

PRODIGAL SUN

6 sixes in one over .. WOW

Thats world class hitting write there. Even if it was against a team who are
    not a top cricket naition.

South africa will not win the world cup though.. IMO

My tip is INDIA

PEACE
    Its all in you kid

penalty boxed user

with all honoursty i would'nt mind if india wins as you can tell by my name i got alot of love for indians
    there is alot of good teams & the compitition is going to be tuff makes great entertainment
    the great thing about being a coloured kid is that there is a piece of evrything in you
    but if it's a final between india & south africa you know where my loyalty is
    Last edited by RAMESH; 03-16-2007 at 04:00 PM.

PRODIGAL SUN

Big ups to you Ramesh.. One love bruv

Why do you think that south africa only have one or two Black folkes in there
    team ??

Now i aint gonna dissrespect your naition bruva but south africa does not
    sit well with me. I mean.. Just look at the rugby team and the cricket team

How many blacks are in these teams..

Whats up with that
    Its all in you kid

penalty boxed user

as a coloured man i will tell you the truth we have coloured & black players in our sports that don't belong there but are there because of their colour which is wrong
    i'm not saying the white guys are superior to us but they did have proper training from a young age & we didn't so they play better than us
    the only sport i watch is cricket & i want to win so if a white can do a better job then us then he must do it because we want to win & we all south africans
    in my eyes we all equal & the best man should get the job

penalty boxed user

if you look at gibbs he's a coloured kid but he went to a white school he had an oppertunity in time we will all have that oppertunity

PRODIGAL SUN

The best man..

There are lots of Black folkes who are good at cricket my brother..

I know.. I have been to south africa, and the peoples i played with were black .. There was a few whites and they were good also but there was
    a lot of kids who were good at cricket and rugby and they were Black.

Like i said before, I will not dissrespect your naition but comon bro.

And yes ramesh, We are all equal in this world. But some peoples are
    CORRUPT and only want one thing..
    Its all in you kid