Thread: Pro Baseball

Montreal mayor to meet with commissioner about bringing baseball back

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...025212957.html

Why do the A's suck this season?

Ex-MLB player Darryl Hamilton killed in apparent murder-suicide

Former Major League outfielder and baseball broadcast analyst Darryl Hamilton has been killed in an apparent murder-suicide in suburban Houston, police in Pearland said on Monday.

Pearland police said they found the bodies of Hamilton, 50, and Monica Jordan, 44, at a home. The couple's 14-month-old infant was found unharmed at the scene and was taken into the care of Texas Child Protective Services.

Hamilton’s body was found near the entry of the home and Jordan’s body was found in another area of the home. She apparently died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said.

"At this point it does not appear that there was any kind of struggle. The incident occurred just inside the front door," police Lieutenant Onesimo Lopez told reporters at the scene.

Hamilton played 13 seasons as a Major League outfielder for the Milwaukee Brewers, Texas Rangers, San Francisco Giants, Colorado Rockies and New York Mets before becoming an on-air analyst for the MLB Network.

Hamilton batted .291 with 1,333 hits, 707 runs scored and 454 RBI in his career, according to MLB.com.

IronSheik

Default Long-Lost Notebook Shows Pete Rose Bet On Baseball As A Player

So much for that reinstatement. No HOF for sure now.

ESPN’s Outside the Lines has gotten its hands on definitive proof that Pete Rose bet on baseball games while he played for the Cincinnati Reds. Rose had previously admitted that he bet on baseball while managing the Reds, but vehemently denied that he ever did so as a player.

The proof comes by way of a sports book that was kept by Michael Bertolini, a known associate of Rose’s who routinely placed bets on his behalf. Copies of pages from the notebook show that Rose was betting on baseball in 1986. From OTL:
    • In the time covered in the notebook, from March through July, Rose bet on at least one MLB team on 30 different days. It’s impossible to count the exact number of times he bet on baseball games because not every day’s entries are legible.
    • But on 21 of the days it’s clear he bet on baseball, he gambled on the Reds, including on games in which he played.
    • Most bets, regardless of sport, were about $2,000. The largest single bet was $5,500 on the Boston Celtics, a bet he lost.
    • Rose bet heavily on college and professional basketball, losing $15,400 on one day in March. That came during his worst week of the four-month span, when he lost $25,500.
    Perhaps more interesting than what is actually in the notebook is the how it was able to remain hidden for so long. Bertolini’s notebook has been in possession of the U.S. Attorney’s Office since 1989, when it was scooped up as evidence during a raid conducted by the U.S. Postal Inspection Service. Over the years, multiple media outlets have made attempts to gain access to the notebook under the Freedom of Information Act, but all of those requests were denied.

Last year, Bertolini’s notebook was transferred to the National Archives, where it remained off-limits:
    In April, Outside the Lines examined the Bertolini memorabilia kept in the National Archives’ New York office, but the betting book — held apart from everything else — was off-limits. The U.S. Attorney’s Office internal memorandum from 2000 that requested the spiral notebook’s transfer said Bertolini’s closed file has “sufficient historical or other value to warrant its continued preservation by the United States Government.” The memorandum listed among its attachments a copy of the notebook, but a copy of the memorandum provided by the National Archives had no attachments and had a section redacted.
    How OTL eventually got a hold of the notebook isn’t made explicitly clear in the story.

Went to the Marlins v Mets on Saturday. Sat 4 rows behind the Marlins on deck circle and was literally one seat behind the seat next to the dugout entrance. Was interacting with the players all night. Jose Fernandez or Lenny Harris told the bat boy to give me a ball but I gave it to a young boy with his dad after the game because Dee Gordon was doing autographs on the opposite dugout side and I knew the little chap wouldn't be getting anything signed.

Greatest sporting experience of my life based on seats alone. You see the game from a whole new experience when you're in those luxury seats. also had VIPs to the Marlins Diamond Club. Free drinks and food all game...my low class ass was in there!

450 pound CC Sabathia enters alcohol rehab, will miss postseason

-

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I remember when CC played for the Indians. I see the Indians made the playoffs hahahahahahahahahaha. This white man at a tv shows website I go to sometimes said he was gonna leave Cleveland because the Indians missed the playoffs hahahahahahaha. I told him I could care less if the Indians and Browns continued to be terrible. I'll always love my hometown and I kinda wish I was there. I would've stayed if I could keep a job but I hate the winter there.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

-

LOL@the Yankees got shut out in New York hahahahahahahahahaha. Alex Rodriguez needs to retire. I know the Yankees fans were pissed. Pittsburgh got shut out yesterday against Chicago. Cleveland is going to the world series next season and they're gonna win just like Major League movie with Charlie Sheen and Wesley Snipes hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

PRODIGAL SUN

Haven't watched much baseball this year but it was good to see starting pitchers (in both wildcard games) throw a complete game. Nowadays if you throw five good innings and you have an ERA of 6.00 you get your contract renegotiated. Whatever happened to mound beasts like the Fernando Valenzuelas, Doc Goodens, Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryans, Steve Carltons, Orel Hershisers, Tom Glavines, Greg Madduxs and David Cones? These heads didn’t need middle-relief pitchers and the majority of the time their teams’ closers didn’t even need to warm-up in the pen.

Banned

The NHL thread was more active during baseball season than the baseball thread.

Were you at the game the other night, Art?
    That seemed like the type of game you would be at.

Banned

No I wasn't. Really considered going, but the going rate for SRO tickets was $125. I was on stubhub an hour before getting ready to click "purchase" but I bought tickets to see Stevie Wonder in 2 weeks instead.