Page 87 of 139 FirstFirst ... 37777879808182838485868788899091929394959697137 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 2079

Thread: Pro Baseball

Wu Vatican

funny shit.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.

--Report: Longtime Yankees voice Sheppard retiring

NEW YORK (AP)—Bob Sheppard has no intentions of returning to his longtime job as the public address announcer at Yankee Stadium, MLB.com reported Thursday.

Sheppard, who is 99, hasn’t worked a game since late in the 2007 season due to illness.

“I have no plans of coming back,” Sheppard told the Web site in a telephone interview. “Time has passed me by, I think. I had a good run for it. I enjoyed doing what I did. I don’t think, at my age, I’m going to suddenly regain the stamina that is really needed if you do the job and do it well.”

When contacted by The Associated Press, Yankees spokesman Jason Zillo said the team had no announcement or comment at this time.

Famous for his distinct and resonant tones, Sheppard became the PA announcer at the old Yankee Stadium in 1951. Decades later, Reggie Jackson gave him the nickname “The Voice of God.”

Sheppard has called out names from Joe DiMaggio to Mickey Mantle to Derek Jeter(notes) over the years. For the final game at the old park in 2008, he recorded a greeting to fans and the introduction of New York’s starting lineup.

Paul Olden took over as the public address announcer at the new Yankee Stadium this year in Sheppard’s absence. Jim Hall, a longtime backup, filled in for Sheppard late in 2007 and last year.

But when Jeter steps to the plate, it’s still a recording of Sheppard’s voice that rings out: “Now batting for the Yankees, No. 2, Deh-rick Jee-tuh.”

Sheppard told MLB.com that he doubts “very, very much” that he’ll be able to resume his duties for even one game next season.

“It’s not just the two hours or three hours of baseball,” he said. “It’s the trip, the preparation, the trip home, and a long, long day. I think at my age, it’s time to accept the fact that I had a great run. A great run. And I only made a few mistakes along the way.”

Der-ik
    je-tahr

Are U Watching Closely? 11th Chamber's Avatar

I cant believe that Granderson is gonna be on his way to the Yankees.....fuck...

Veteran Member

I Hope The Trade Goes Through I Dont Like Grandersons Strike Outs But The Short Right Field Porch Should Do Him Wonders.

I Dont Like Getting Rid Or Austin Jackson But He's Still Very Much A Question Mark Dunn And Coke I Could Give A Shit About. I'm Still Curious How Ian Kennedy Does In The Major Leagues But I Dont Think He Was In The Yanks Plans.
    Wherever I go, my crew, is true to swarm
    Got stripes in New York like Yankee uniforms-Biggie

Veteran Member

Why Is This Not Stickied? Yankees Making Moves They Resigned Nick Johnson Who I Always Like Fingers Crossed He Doesnt Get Injured But For 1 Mill Cheaper Then Matsui They Probably Should Of Just Kept Him.

Yankees Also Get Javy Vazquez And Boone Logan For Melky Caberera Mike Dunn An Arodys Vizcaino. I Dont Really Like This Trade Javy Was A Yankee And Sucked Already I Really Felt He Wasnt Mentally Up To It.

I Understand He'll Be The 4th Starter But He's A Worse Version Of Aj Burnett Who Can Drive You Crazy At Times. I Get Nervous Just Thinking Of Vazquez Against A Power Hitting American League Team Already. Melky Was Gritty And Had A Flair For The Dramatic But If They Bring Back Damon Now I Wont Mind. Atleast It's Only One Year But Then They Should Of Just Kept Melky And Went For Sheets Or Someone Else.

It's not stickied during the off season, cause it usually hardly gets any posts during that time. It doesn't get that many posts even during the season.

seems vasquez is always getting traded' lol

So players still aren't allowed to have any facial hair on the Yankees? Is that like a
    1950's rule? lol Damon went from being hardcore on the Red Sox to looking like that Adam Lambert guy, while on the Yankees.

Veteran Member

Pretty Much Theres Nothing Wrong With Tradition I Hope It Keeps On Going For As Long As The Yankees Franchise Is Around. Some People Have Kind Of Gotten Around It Or Played It To It's Limits. I Know Clemens Had A Thing Where He Had To Pitch With A Little 5' O Clock Shadow. But For The Most Part It's Clean Cut An Professional. No Need To Break The Tradition.

wuswordz95

RIP to ANGELS radio broadcaster rory markas.

jason bay knee surgery coming soon

...pap with a size-a-ble 1 year contract..
    pitchers an catchers in how many days?

Veteran Member

27 Days Or Around There Depending On The Team. Yankees Still Don't Have A LFer I Really Don't Want To See A Platoon Of Gardner And Hoffman The Guy They Got With The 1st Pick Of The Rule 5 Draft.

It Looks Like Boston Has Gone Through A Transformation From A Big Hitting Lineup To A Better Defensive Team And With The Pitching Now Who Can Blame Them. Beckett, Lackey, Lester, Who's Gonna Be 4th and 5th Starter Seems Like They Have A Couple Of Candidates I Would Assume Dice-K Then Bucholz, Wakefield?

Did Big Papi retire yet?

Banned

big papi only retired his needle kit... unfortunately hes still out there getting a paycheck!!!!!!

he literally cant even bend his knees any more, nigga stands in the box like a bloated lurch and has fat chick biceps!!!!!!! if that wasnt bad enough, his batspeed got cut in half!!!!!!!

no one should fear sloppy in the box these days, unless he starts drinking shakes from the D.R. again!!!!!!!!