Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Cycling and other bike racing

yes I used to cycle but I had to stop when I got problems with my back a few years ago mainly due to a fall when I went cycling on the isle of Corsica. I still cycle to work & for grocery shopping and such but I used to go cycling 2 to 3 times a week for a few hours on end, 28 to 32 k an hour.
    Retired.

PRODIGAL SUN

IronSheik

Default Luca Paolini Suspended from Tour De France for Positive Cocaine Test

Italian cyclist Luca Paolini tested positive for cocaine following the fourth stage of the Tour de France on Tuesday, according to a report by Sky Sports. He's been removed from the sport's marquee race by his team, Katusha, and is being provisionally suspended by the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI).

The 38-year-old rider, who was serving in the domestique role for his team, was in 168th place following Friday's stage. Katusha released a statement after it found out about the positive test, per Sky Sports:
    In application of the Team policy, the rider has been immediately withdrawn from the Tour de France.
    Bearing in mind the anti doping regulations, the team will wait until the analysis of the B sample has been conducted before taking any further action or making any further comment. Team Katusha is fully determined to collaborate with the anti-doping agencies in order to resolve the matter.
    The UCI also issued a statement about the situation, which was passed along by the Press Association (via the Guardian):
    The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) announces that it has notified Italian rider Luca Paolini of an adverse analytical finding of cocaine (benzoylecgonine metabolite) in a sample collected in the scope of an in-competition control on 7 July, 2015 during the Tour de France.
    The rider has the right to request and attend the analysis of the B sample.
    In accordance with UCI anti-doping rules, the rider has been provisionally suspended until the adjudication of the affair.
    At this stage of the procedure the UCI will not comment any further.
    Paolini competed in four previous editions of the Tour de France. His best career finish came in 2003, when he finished 69th in the general classification. He's won stages in the Giro d'Italia and Vuelta a Espana while scoring a victory in the Gent–Wevelgem earlier this year.

His main task in this year's Tour was providing support for Katusha teammates Alexander Kristoff and Joaquim Rodriguez, according to the Sky Sports report. The latter is currently the highest-ranked member of the team in the overall standings in 17th place.

Losing Paolini is an unfortunate turn of events for the team but, seemingly, an even bigger personal setback for the veteran rider.

Adam Hansen broke the record for consecutive grand tours. in the fifties there was a guy who got to 12

now the record stands at 13 ... that's three 3-week races a year (next to other races obv), in today's cycling world that really is a feat

the numbers refer to his final ranking in each race. they aren't very important since his role in the team is to help out the main riders (these days that would be sprinter André Greipel mostly) +1 means he won a stage - in some stages he gets to go for delf

in years to come he'll try and get that Tour de France stage win so he can join the club that has won stages in all three big races

his hardest races have been this year's Tour de France (he fell and injured himself seriously in the second stage - with about 20 more stages to go!) and in the 2012 Vuelta a Espana (it was the first year he rode all 3 grand tours and the Vuelta is at the end of the season)

his achievement is that much more impressive if you take into account that he also runs a business which he tends to every day after the stage is over!

Adam Hansen has been riding for a Belgian team (Lotto) for a few years now
    Last edited by Rev Jones; 09-13-2015 at 02:41 PM.
    Retired.

former Giro d'Italia winner Ivan Basso has now officially beaten testicular cancer. he will probably return to the peloton next season
    Retired.

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Jones View Post
    former Giro d'Italia winner Ivan Basso has now officially beaten testicular cancer. he will probably return to the peloton next season
    Didn't know this. Good news. I wasn't even aware he was still riding to be honest. In the early 2000's he was always lurking near the top of the GCs but at least through the media I watched, never was really considered a real threat to win the TDF.

he's in his late thirties now so one would indeed think he'd retired already. he's been riding for Contador as a deluxe help in mountain stages for example late in his career
    Retired.

Thanks to rev jones for the info

--- Cycling officials just busted a Belgian rider in the first case of bike doping ever

http://www.businessinsider.com/bike-...locross-2016-1

--- Renowned Kiwi mountain biker died yesterday while riding at a track near Queenstown.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...ueenstown.html

WINDY AIN'T IT?
    Retired.

^^team would be Liquigas

girl looks hot as fuck
    Retired.

----- Third cyclist dies since racing last weekend

Cycling has suffered the death of yet another rider, the third in as many days.

Daan Myngheer was pronounced dead on Monday night after suffering a heart attack at the Criterium International in Corsica, according to a statement from the Roubaix Lille Metropole team.

The 22-year-old had been transported to a nearby hospital and was in intensive care.

"Such a terribly sad few days in the professional cycling world," British rider Mark Cavendish tweeted. "Another tragic loss."

A day earlier, another Belgian cyclist, Antoine Demoitie, succumbed to injuries suffered in a crash at a race that wound through his country and parts of northern France.

Also last weekend, Randall Fox died while competing for Oregon State in a collegiate race in Washington, USA Cycling said. The 29-year-old graduate student reportedly lost control of his bicycle and collided with a guardrail.

PRODIGAL SUN

From the sounds of Antoine Demoitie death, he died from motorbike colliding with him and not the crash itself.

I probably should wear a heart-rate monitor when I cycle to keep in range but part of me doesn't want to known my heart is blowing up.

Quote Originally Posted by madchild View Post
    From the sounds of Antoine Demoitie death, he died from motorbike colliding with him and not the crash itself.
    true. 3 others crashed with him but weren't hit by the motorbike

btw both belgian riders had the same coach, who is of course devastated (the guys weren't on the same team)

Quote Originally Posted by madchild View Post
    I probably should wear a heart-rate monitor when I cycle to keep in range but part of me doesn't want to known my heart is blowing up.
    it's not just these stories. when I was younger and still training with a group of friends we had to stop one time cuz one of the guys got into heart trouble. the ambulance had to come take him away. luckily it ended well for him. if you train frequently and/or hard I would advise you to wear that monitor. be safe
    Retired.